• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gore did not win an Oscar. The director won, and had Gore come up on stage while receiving the award, thus leaving many people with the wrong impression that Gore was a recipient, but the award was not to Gore.

I thought he was given the Oscar for inventing the Internet and discovering the link between smoking and cancer!
 
When it was older men doing it, they were generally either ignored, laughed at, or handwaved with a bit of bought-and-paid for junk science.

Now that a young woman is doing it, they're positively apoplectic; engaging in the basest character assassination, or being crudely insulting. One can see a good deal of thinly veiled misogyny in their responses. They're not even trying to hide their contempt for women, the "lower" classes, or the scientific establishment anymore.

If contempt for Thurnberg's class is going on, then it isn't contempt for the lower classes, because she isn't from the lower classes. And I don't know why you're throwing "scientific establishment" in here, since she's manifestly not part of that either. You also seem to be pretending that her age isn't a factor in criticism of her. It is, and it's justified.
 
I don’t think the UN are going to make any such claims about how their prevention of war has created too many people and thus made global warming more likely.

That wasn't the implication I was going for. I was referring more to the total destruction of war.
 
He made a lot of money and is living large today?

I dunno.

Oh, it's an interesting story. He suckered Al Jazeera into buying Current TV for something like $100 million. So the guy who made a name for himself with global warming panic turned around and made a fortune for himself from the people supposedly responsible (ie, oil producers). But the whole thing went sour: Al Gore sued Al Jazeera for withholding $65 million of the payment, and Al countersued Al (I think because Current TV turned out to be worthless), and the whole thing imploded.
 
I read a couple of days ago she says she can see carbon dioxide.

I'm sorry, but Lol
 
I read a couple of days ago she says she can see carbon dioxide.

I'm sorry, but Lol

I believe that's according to her mother. From page 15.

Funny how the more political the subject, the less skeptical this <cough> skeptics board becomes. Could somebody please present a rational argument (valid reason?) as to why anyone should listen to what a 16 year old Swedish high school dropout with Asperger's (and who knows what else, FAS perhaps) has to say on both a highly controversial political subject and the thoroughly imprecise "science" related to it that she (like the rest of humanity) knows essentially nothing about?

Don't forget, she's the only human being who's ever (claimed to have) seen those invisible, teeny-tiny CO2 molecules with the naked eye. Which according to her is a pollutant. She "sees how it flows out of chimneys and turns the atmosphere into a rubbish tip." Yet CO2 has never been designated a pollutant by anyone or anything intelligent anywhere. Ever! In fact the opposite is true, (from 6th grade science) carbon is the basic building block of life and so essential to it (where do you think all that carbon in the carbon cycle comes from?) that CO2's present day minor concentration in the atmosphere (400 PPM) going below 150 PPM would inevitably end all life on earth.

No I'm not trying to convince a skeptics board to be skeptical, that would be stupidity on my part. I'm after just one valid reason why I should be listening in earnest to a young unattractive political shill who would otherwise have a hard time convincing anyone she's even female. I mean, if the general attitude in society is we're to "listen to the scientists" (a prevailing if not misguided sentiment), you can't arbitrarily add to that "and drop-out resource classes teenagers who really like attention and sailing on ships" and still claim any seriousness. :cool:

Would Kim Kardashian be a better or worse Carbon Is Bad™ spokesmodel than Greta Thunberg? Why?

The above is a fairly exemplary QED of my prior point. The poster isn't simply saying they think Thunberg is wrong about climate change; they also are compelled to describe her as "unattractive", a "high school dropout", having "Aspergers and who knows what else", a "political shill", even invoking her nationality as part of a list of qualities the poster implies are discrediting or make her unworthy of attention. This person clearly has as much a problem with Thunberg personally as they do with Thunberg's message; that's why "haters" is a valid moniker.
 
Just watched her UN speech.

Never actually seen video of her.

Just comes across as annoying and whiny to me tbf.
 
Congratulations! This happens to be Greta Thunberg's core message to politicians: "Please listen to the scientists!"

Them why is she wasting useful scientist speaking time? How about as she is about to walk up there, she calls up a scientist?
 
Congratulations! This happens to be Greta Thunberg's core message to politicians: "Please listen to the scientists!"
Them why is she wasting useful scientist speaking time? How about as she is about to walk up there, she calls up a scientist?

She's just a kid, you can't blame her. Blame the people who called her to come speak instead of a scientist. They shouldn't put her in the spotlight like this, it's child exploitation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom