theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
I'm having some trouble sorting through your meaning here. Are you suggesting that there cannot possibly be any actual virtue in environmental activism?
I mean, if you substitute a different field of endeavor...
"I doubt it would do serious particle physicists any favors to be associated with a similar physics-specific prize. Except as a merit badge in the eyes of people who are already on board with particle physics and convinced of its value."
I'm distinguishing between political prizes and science prizes. The whole idea is to not devalue science prizes by politicizing them. It doesn't do scientists any favors to be associated with a political prize rather than a science prize.
If you substitute a scientific field of endeavor, with a scientific prize for that field, then the comparison simply highlights how bankrupt the political prize is. If you substitute a scientific field, but give it a political prize, then you just work to bankrupt the scientific recognition as well. Because it's no longer scientific. Which is my point. Save the political prizes for politicians. They don't do scientists any favors.