• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Sweet/Sweat 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I believe that Brazilian mills are celebrating the importation of American ethanol? Or is this just another "Mexico will pay for it" moment?

He probably meant "MILFS".

Corn ethanol, BTW, is ridiculously inefficient and only viable due to subsidies. Brazil makes if from sugar cane, which is far more efficient. But there are only 3 or 4 sugar producing states in the USA, and ADM is not in the cane business.
 
I honestly suspect he has no idea that the war started on Sept. 1, 1939 with the invasion of Poland by the Germans. He thinks it started on Dec. 7, 1941 with Pearl Harbor. He literally had no clue what the reporter was referring to.

To say that he knows about Pearl Harbor and its date is giving him far too much credit.



Cut him some slack.

I'll bet he knows that the Germans bombed it. Even if he doesn't know all that other unimportant stuff.
 
Cut him some slack.

I'll bet he knows that the Germans bombed it. Even if he doesn't know all that other unimportant stuff.

Now, now! There were good people on both sides.

Also, sometimes people do misspeak or fail to think before speaking.

If anyone listened to the Bernie Sanders interview with Joe Rogan, you may have noticed that Sanders at one point said that the United States managed to go to war with Nazi Germany and China at the same time.

Oops!
 
Cut him some slack.

I'll bet he knows that the Germans bombed it. Even if he doesn't know all that other unimportant stuff.

He's a historian. A lot of people don't understand that. He knows more about history than most historians. Probably more than any historian.
 
Besides, if the American economy is so great, then why can't they balance the federal budget? I guess American's are just too poor to pay attention to the balance sheet.

Oh, we have had balanced budgets and have been well on the way to paying off the national debt but then Republicans take over and muck it all up.
 
Back several pages ago, AngrySoba and I were discussing background checks in the context of mass shootings. Here's part of the exchange.

I don't claim any expertise at all, but my uninformed intuition is that an assault weapons ban together with a restriction on ammo capacity would do more good at preventing mass shootings than an extension of background checks to sales and transfers by private individuals. Both of the solutions I mention would be very difficult to pass in the current climate, however.

I don't know of any mass shooting event that involved a gun show purchase, except perhaps for the Vegas shooter. I don't see how a background check would have prevented his purchase.

Background checks only prevent sales to people who cannot legally own firearms. I don't think that applies to many of the shooters we've seen.

I should point out that the recent shooting in Odessa may be an example where universal background checks could have made a difference. As I understand it, the shooter was not allowed to own guns. If there were universal background checks then either a sale would have been prevented or the seller would have broken the law and face punishment.

Assuming, of course, that the gun was purchased rather than stolen (and I don't know any reason to suspect it was stolen).

ETA: Sorry to bring up an old discussion that was arguably off-topic to some extent, but I thought I ought to mention this counterexample to my claim.
 
Last edited:
Back several pages ago, AngrySoba and I were discussing background checks in the context of mass shootings. Here's part of the exchange.



I should point out that the recent shooting in Odessa may be an example where universal background checks could have made a difference. As I understand it, the shooter was not allowed to own guns. If there were universal background checks then either a sale would have been prevented or the seller would have broken the law and face punishment.

Assuming, of course, that the gun was purchased rather than stolen (and I don't know any reason to suspect it was stolen).

ETA: Sorry to bring up an old discussion that was arguably off-topic to some extent, but I thought I ought to mention this counterexample to my claim.

Real skeptical points coming your way! It’s really great to be willing to acknowledge evidence that runs contrary to your position. Sorry, not trying to be patronizing here. Thanks for pointing out that example.
 
To say that he knows about Pearl Harbor and its date is giving him far too much credit.
I suspect anyone asking him about Pearl Harbor will be met with an instant "Fake news! I've never met her and I never paid her any money!"
 
I suspect anyone asking him about Pearl Harbor will be met with an instant "Fake news! I've never met her and I never paid her any money!"

Pearl, sounds like an older lady to me - not President Trump's type at all #FakeNews
 
Real skeptical points coming your way! It’s really great to be willing to acknowledge evidence that runs contrary to your position. Sorry, not trying to be patronizing here. Thanks for pointing out that example.

No problem. I think I know you well enough to know you'd do the same.
 
Trump Tweets

We are doing very well in our negotiations with China. While I am sure they would love to be dealing with a new administration so they could continue their practice of “ripoff USA”($600 B/year),16 months PLUS is a long time to be hemorrhaging jobs and companies on a long-shot....

....And then, think what happens to China when I win. Deal would get MUCH TOUGHER! In the meantime, China’s Supply Chain will crumble and businesses, jobs and money will be gone!
 
Trump Tweets

For all of the “geniuses” out there, many who have been in other administrations and “taken to the cleaners” by China, that want me to get together with the EU and others to go after China Trade practices remember, the EU & all treat us VERY unfairly on Trade also. Will change

Germany, and so many other countries, have negative interest rates, “they get paid for loaning money,” and our Federal Reserve fails to act! Remember, these are also our weak currency competitors!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom