• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Sweet/Sweat 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump Tweets

When I looked up to the sky and jokingly said “I am the chosen one,” at a press conference two days ago, referring to taking on Trade with China, little did I realize that the media would claim that I had a “Messiah complex.” They knew I was kidding, being sarcastic, and just....

....having fun. I was smiling as I looked up and around. The MANY reporters with me were smiling also. They knew the TRUTH...And yet when I saw the reporting, CNN, MSNBC and other Fake News outlets covered it as serious news & me thinking of myself as the Messiah. No more trust!

The fact that he even bothers to comment and defend himself on this tells all.

Hans
 
The only one I bothered to post, sure. Anyway, I decided to give one idea to answer angrysoba's question (unless it was meant to be rhetorical); it was never intended to be a formal thesis by any means.

So, how do you explain it then? Lay bare your sterling wisdom and demonstrate my inadequacies for all to see.

Soba's question was easy to answer. It was predicated on a false presumption that Trump is pursuing background checks, something that he reversed position on (again).

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate for a second and ask what is wrong with Trump pursuing background checks on people purchasing firearms?

That he's not proposing background checks? I know he mentioned it right after El Paso, but recent reports are that he told the head of the NRA that expanded background checks are off the table.

Same thing he did after the Florida school shooting. Talk about background checks immediately after the shooting and then drop them a week or two later.

Now it turns out that the problem is mental health, regardless of the fact that most shooters are not diagnosed with mental health problems. Now, perhaps there are diagnoses that should have been made, but even that's not clear. One can have a terrible, violent political philosophy without being mentally ill.

Had Trump actually been pursuing background checks, I also pointed out that background checks were unlikely to have any significant impact on mass shootings, which is the problem that is prompting the policy change.
 
The fact that he even bothers to comment and defend himself on this tells all.

Hans

I think it's not unreasonable to think looking to the heavens and saying he's the "Chosen One" was facetious.

Since it's Trump, it's also not unreasonable to think he meant it. Fits in with the views of many evangelists, who genuinely think that God chose Trump just as he chose Saul.

I'll count it as ambiguous whether he really meant he's the chosen one, it was a mere joke or it was a joke intended to be taken seriously by certain Christians.
 
Last edited:
I think it's not unreasonable to think looking to the heavens and saying he's the "Chosen One" was facetious.

Since it's Trump, it's also not unreasonable to think he meant it. Fits in with the views of many evangelists, who genuinely think that God chose Trump just as he chose Saul.

I'll count it as ambiguous whether he really meant he's the chosen one, it was a mere joke or it was a joke intended to be taken seriously by certain Christians.

Im having a hard time thinking of a time when President Trump ever made a joke that did not involve making fun of someone he hates?
 
I think it's not unreasonable to think looking to the heavens and saying he's the "Chosen One" was facetious.

Since it's Trump, it's also not unreasonable to think he meant it. Fits in with the views of many evangelists, who genuinely think that God chose Trump just as he chose Saul.

I'll count it as ambiguous whether he really meant he's the chosen one, it was a mere joke or it was a joke intended to be taken seriously by certain Christians.

"Many truths are said in jest."

Or, in this case "Many of his beliefs he claims are jests."
 
Soba's question was easy to answer. It was predicated on a false presumption that Trump is pursuing background checks, something that he reversed position on (again).
No, it wasn't predicated on a false presumption because he specifically excluded that by stating he was playing devil's advocate.


Had Trump actually been pursuing background checks, I also pointed out that background checks were unlikely to have any significant impact on mass shootings, which is the problem that is prompting the policy change.
Your answer then is to ignore the question asked and answer something else and then act all dismissive when I answered as opponent to the devil's advocate which is what was requested.
 
Im having a hard time thinking of a time when President Trump ever made a joke that did not involve making fun of someone he hates?

When he says he's staying on ten or fourteen years, it is reasonable to think he's joking. It's also reasonable to think he's joking that way to introduce the notion, I suppose.

ETA: Just saw the clip again. Must admit that "I am the Chosen One" was not delivered like a joke at all.
 
Last edited:
No, it wasn't predicated on a false presumption because he specifically excluded that by stating he was playing devil's advocate.

Playing devil's advocate doesn't mean "I know that this isn't happening, but let's pretend it is."

But we needn't guess what Soba meant. He can tell us whether he mistakenly thought Trump was pursuing universal background checks.


Your answer then is to ignore the question asked and answer something else and then act all dismissive when I answered as opponent to the devil's advocate which is what was requested.

First, even if I ignored the question, your answer is a poor answer. I don't think it's a feather in your cap that your response is, "It must be bad for minorities if the Republicans go along with it."

Second, I gave a link to a fuller response to the question "Why not add universal background checks in order to decrease mass shooting events?" The answer is that there's no clear reason to think it would achieve that goal. They might decrease other shootings, though I'd like to see some statistical analysis to this effect. I'd think that individual sales not associated with gun shows are a bigger problem than gun shows themselves, but I don't have any statistics to back that up.
 
Does anyone know what the odds are on Trump doing a second term?
 
Trump Tweets

JUST NOW: President @realDonaldTrump and Prime Minister
@AbeShinzo announced a trade deal.

"This is a tremendous deal for the United States. It's a really tremendous deal for our farmers."

Rasmussen at 50%. @MediaBuzzFNC & @FoxNews are only getting worse! Now @donnabrazile & others on Fox. Not what it used to be!

So @donnabrazile gives Crooked Hillary the Questions, and now she’s on @FoxNews!
 
Trump Tweets

Big Trade Deal just agreed to with Prime Minister Abe of Japan. Will be great for our Farmers, Ranchers and more. Really big Corn purchase!
 
Trump Retweeted

Jennifer Jacobs
@JenniferJJacobs
Who’s 1st leader POTUS chose to sit with for bilat here at #G7 in Biarritz? UK’s new prime minister Boris Johnson.

“He needs no advice” on Brexit, Trump told us. “He’s the right man for the job. I've been saying that for a long time. It didn't make your predecessor very happy."
 
Does anyone know what the odds are on Trump doing a second term?

He's the incumbent, 40% approve of him, the Democrats will have a pathetic nominee, Gerrymandering, and more media manipulation, so pretty good. [insert sad emoji here]
 
Last edited:
He's the incumbent, 40% approve of him, the Democrats will have a pathetic nominee, Gerrymandering, and more media manipulation, so pretty good. [insert sad emoji here]

2018 delivered the House to those still loyal to the nation. Don't give up hope yet. Remember, Trump won the electoral college by 88,000 votes in three states. Happily, they skewed older so some of them have died and more will die by November 2020.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom