• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that his tweets of the last couple of days are any different to what he's been saying or tweeting during the campaign or Presidency.

He's made racist comments and tweeted and retweeted racist tweets.

He's doubled and trebled down.

He's attacked political opponents for the most trivial things.

He's lied time and time and time again.

He's tweeted gibberish.

Sadly I see nothing different or out of character for President Trump :(

Yeah but now he seems to be on a nonstop rant about enemies of America, etc.
 
In a discussion about the president's statements, how does the ethnicity of the questioner have any validity? It's literally not about the reporter but the POTUS. I was careful with my choice of words, that Conway was playing the race card.

It was a totally poorly chosen response, especially given the context of the question. The ethnicity of the reporter was probably, in my opinion, raised in order to make a point about where people are "originally from", that all of us (excepting perhaps Native Americans) are originally from elsewhere. This would be an asinine, stupid point, but in that case asking his ethnicity purely for the purpose of making an example isn't racist, even though inept.

Others have suggested that she was doing so in order to bring up anti-semitism, assuming that all those with Jewish backgrounds would be horrified at the comments of Omar. That would be a racist motivation, but I tend to think that's unlikely where she was going.

I don't know precisely what you mean when you say "playing the race card". The phrase usually describes when a minority has alleged racism from a political opponent, almost always with the implication that the allegation is unwarranted. If all you mean is "mentioning ethnic heritage in order to make a political point," (that's not a direct quote of your words, but hopefully faithful to them) then, sure, she did that. But there are plenty of decent and even virtuous ways to do that. Ethnic heritage is often used to combat racism, for instance, but would be "playing the race card" by your description.
 
I'm sure she's a racist, but that's a common expression.

Maybe, but I always thought it was “soft underbelly”. Which makes more sense, since underbellies are often pale or even white. To label it “dark” was probably not meant to bring skin color into it, but could very well have been a Freudian slip.
 
Maybe, but I always thought it was “soft underbelly”. Which makes more sense, since underbellies are often pale or even white. To label it “dark” was probably not meant to bring skin color into it, but could very well have been a Freudian slip.

I've heard "dark underbelly" many times in the past, completely unrelated to race. Mind you, there are so many racist statements and dogwhistles with this administration it's hard not see them where they're not.
 
"dark underbelly" is where nasty things lurk.

"soft underbelly" is a vulnerable spot.
 
Trump Tweets

“In America, if you hate our Country, you are free to leave. The simple fact of the matter is, the four Congresswomen think that America is wicked in its origins, they think that America is even more wicked now, that we are all racist and evil. They’re entitled to their.....

...opinion, they’re Americans. Now I’m entitled to my opinion, & I just think they’re left wing cranks. They’re the reason there are directions on a shampoo bottle, & we should ignore them. The “squad” has moved the Democrat Party substantially LEFT, and.....

....they are destroying the Democrat Party. I’m appalled that so many of our Presidential candidates are falling all over themselves to try to agree with the four horsewomen of the apocalypse. I’m entitled to say that they’re Wack Jobs.” Louisiana Senator John Kennedy

The Democrats in Congress are getting nothing done, not on drug pricing, not on immigration, not on infrastructure, not on nothing! Sooo much opportunity, yet all they want to do is go “fishing.” The American people are tired of the never ending Witch Hunt, they want results now!
 
Trump Tweets

“In America, if you hate our Country, you are free to leave. The simple fact of the matter is, the four Congresswomen think that America is wicked in its origins, they think that America is even more wicked now, that we are all racist and evil.

Yea, Trump never complained about the US being in shambles. Hell, his entire shtick was about America needing to be made great again.
 
Yea, Trump never complained about the US being in shambles. Hell, his entire shtick was about America needing to be made great again.

Ah ! It was a shambles, but then President Trump did more in his first 100 days than any other US President in history and Made America Great Again - hence the 2020 campaign slogan Keep America Great.

During the (communist, atheist, Islamist) Obama administration saying how horrible the US was a simple statement of fact. Now pointing out any negatives about the US or the President is an act of treason. :rolleyes:
 
Trump and his cult are idiots. There are some choices to me made by people who don't like the direction of the country. Yes, leaving is one option. Another option is to run for elected office in the government to change the direction of the country. I applaud the squad for doing the latter.
 
It was a totally poorly chosen response, especially given the context of the question. The ethnicity of the reporter was probably, in my opinion, raised in order to make a point about where people are "originally from", that all of us (excepting perhaps Native Americans) are originally from elsewhere. This would be an asinine, stupid point, but in that case asking his ethnicity purely for the purpose of making an example isn't racist, even though inept.

It's also utterly stupid (in my opinion, or course)

I am 'originally from' where I was born, and nowhere else. I didn't exist before that, so can't be 'from' anywhere else. A person whose parents were immigrants is 'from' Britain just as much as I am.

Now, 'where is your family originally from' is perhaps a more meaningful question, though it brings its own overtones, and is rarely a simple question to answer.
 
I'd just like to point out that it's absurd that congressmen can't call a president's racist statements "racist" on the record. Again, this is the mindset where "racist" is treated as an insult rather than a description. The former is rude, sure, but the latter is simply either true, or not. And in the case of Dolt 45, it's been "obviously true" for decades. Best to get rid of the rule itself, rather than taking absurd steps like not allowing accurate descriptions on the record.


Look on the bright side: with a vote of 187-4, it's become impossible for the usual apologists to insist that it's "only a few fringe Republicans" who believe these things, or support these beliefs in others.



Americans seem to be unique in their claims of being ½ this and ¼ that when referring to themselves. "i'm a quarter Irish".



This of course highlights exactly how racist it was though: despite the history of Americans identifying as "X-Americans", Trump isn't telling Bernie Sanders, or any of the other white people in congress, to "go back where they came from".
 
It's also utterly stupid (in my opinion, or course)

I am 'originally from' where I was born, and nowhere else. I didn't exist before that, so can't be 'from' anywhere else. A person whose parents were immigrants is 'from' Britain just as much as I am.

Now, 'where is your family originally from' is perhaps a more meaningful question, though it brings its own overtones, and is rarely a simple question to answer.

Sure. My mother is second generation Czech. I have very little familiarity with Czech-American culture and none with the Czech Republic. My father's ancestry is utterly opaque. My surname is Welsh, but I would feel foolish if I said I was Welsh, particularly because my great-grandfather was adopted and so, I guess, got his surname from his adoptive parents.

If she was trying to say that we all come from elsewhere and this is what Trump meant, Conway would be hard-pressed to answer where she, an Irish and Italian, should return. I've no idea which nation I've never visited is the journey for my return trip.

To be fair, this is an attempt to make Trump's comments look merely stupid rather than racist. That would be a step up.
 
Yea, Trump never complained about the US being in shambles. Hell, his entire shtick was about America needing to be made great again.

And all those people who he suggested were unhappy with the country were not invited to leave. You can imagine what rightful measure of frothing would have ensued had that suggestion been made.
 
Looking for an upside, I hope that at long last, people will no longer deny Trump's racism here on this fine forum.

I also hope for a pony.
 
Agreed. We heard Lindsey Graham say Trump was a "race-baiting xenophobic bigot" in 2015. I guess Trump stopped being a "race-baiting xenophobic bigot" since then.

OR it could just be that Lindsey Graham is ok with that.

I mean, yeah, LG said Trump was a "race-baiting xenophobic bigot," but did he actually say that was wrong?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom