• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Moderated Trump announces new concentration camps

There's a certain gloomy truth to the assertion that diversity does not work, because people who hate diversity will make sure of it, just as integration does not work if racists shoot you for it. In the value free society we solve problems by avoiding them. If you don't want to be raped on the bus, stay off the bus. The solution to xenophobia is a wall. It saves us from having to burn the bodies later. Welcome to needle park.

It is sad that every argument against diversity sounds exactly like "It's not gonna work because I'm gonna make sure it doesn't work."
 
Last edited:
Which is my main objection to calling them concentration camps. If you* can't call them detention centers and still make the same arguments, then maybe you're the one being intellectually dishonest.

---
*Rhetorical you, not personal you.

By definition, they can't be called detention centers.
 
Which is my main objection to calling them concentration camps. If you* can't call them detention centers and still make the same arguments, then maybe you're the one being intellectually dishonest.

---
*Rhetorical you, not personal you.

Anyone of us is capable of making the exact same arguments using the phrase "happy time summer camps full of games and prizes." We just choose not to. If our phrasing bothers you, you'll have to get over it.

They're concentration camps. You can either argue about the term or do something about it.
 
"Geez people would you stop trying to make holding children in cages sound so bad?"
 
Anyone of us is capable of making the exact same arguments using the phrase "happy time summer camps full of games and prizes." We just choose not to. If our phrasing bothers you, you'll have to get over it.

They're concentration camps. You can either argue about the term or do something about it.

Do something about what? Am I trying to prevent the mass murder of Jews and other undesirables in death camps? Or am I trying to improve the living conditions of asylum seekers awaiting trial in detention centers?
 
Asylum seekers aren't awaiting trial. Trials are for people who commit criminal acts. Asylum seekers have not committed any crime whatsoever.
 
So, after both countries recovered from ww2, why did Japan prosper and why did the Ussr stagnate and collapse? If diversity is a strength the reverse should have happened.

I'll take oversimplification for $2,000, Alex. LOL! It's like 1946-1989 doesn't even exist with this guy.
 
Asylum seekers aren't awaiting trial. Trials are for people who commit criminal acts. Asylum seekers have not committed any crime whatsoever.

Civil trials do not deal with criminal matters.

In the US, removal proceedings for immigrants are administered by federal judges under the executive branch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Office_for_Immigration_Review

I'm comfortable calling such proceedings trials, but I'm not committed to the term. If you want to call them "judicial review" or some such, I won't complain.
 
Do something about what? Am I trying to prevent the mass murder of Jews and other undesirables in death camps? Or am I trying to improve the living conditions of asylum seekers awaiting trial in detention centers?

As far as I can tell: Neither! You're merely bitching and whining about the language being used.
 
Why is it so important to you to call them concentration camps?

It's not. It's vitally important to "you" that that is what we talk about, instead of ya know, whether or not keeping kids is cages is a bad thing or not.

You're the language obsessed one in this discussion. Don't mistake people not playing your game with being equally obsessed about the language.

Call them death camps, call them tuitty fruitty fresh and fruity breakfast booths, I don't care. But I'm not going to acquiesce because you wouldn't then discuss the topic, you would just find another hijack.

Pretending "Oh I promise I'll absolutely discuss the topic... as soon as well all agree on the language to use and then I super-pinky swear we'll talk about the topic" is a tactic I got my full immunization cycle of with Jabba. I don't need a booster just yet.
 
Last edited:
As far as I can tell: Neither! You're merely bitching and whining about the language being used.

It must be the politically correct language. Like Torture is bad and illegal that is why our torturers are Enhanced Interrogation Experts. Still torture and still illegal as hell but makes it easier to ignore the crimes and pretend they never happened and were never illegal because that would look bad to those issuing the criminal orders.

The UCMJ is a total crock with regards of how to treat non americans. Pure propaganda with no teeth.
 
It's not. It's vitally important to "you" that that is what we talk about, instead of ya know, whether or not keeping kids is cages is a bad thing or not.

You're the language obsessed one in this discussion. Don't mistake people not playing your game with being equally obsessed about the language.

Call them death camps, call them tuitty fruitty fresh and fruity breakfast booths, I don't care. But I'm not going to acquiesce because you wouldn't then discuss the topic, you would just find another hijack.

Pretending "Oh I promise I'll absolutely discuss the topic... as soon as well all agree on the language to use and then I super-pinky swear we'll talk about the topic" is a tactic I got my full immunization cycle of with Jabba. I don't need a booster just yet.
Some fair points, unfairly made. But okay. I'll meet you halfway. Let's talk about the topic. You and me.

Tell me more about these cages. How big are they? How many kids per cage? Are we talking steel bars, or cyclone fencing? Are they boxes baking in the desert sun, or fenced-in areas of a larger covered space like a warehouse or auditorium or something?

Let's talk about what's actually going on, what parts make sense, and what parts can be improved. Let's not quibble about terminology. And please - no question-begging. No appeals to emotion. I'll stipulate to "concentration camps" and "children in cages", since that's apparently your condition for discussing the topic. So now let's discuss the topic.

Tell me more about these cages.
 
I never said it was. I was merely commenting on how it's so important to you that we don't call them concentration camps.
It's important to me because I think "concentration camps" is a term with specific connotations that generally don't apply to other kinds of detention centers. Its use here seem to be essentially an appeal to emotion. It's not intended to foster debate, but to preemptively force a concession. But my offer to Joe is open to you as well.

Projection?
Maybe, but I doubt it. Feel free to forward my body of work to the Yale group for a second opinion.
 
Some fair points, unfairly made. But okay. I'll meet you halfway. Let's talk about the topic. You and me.

Tell me more about these cages. How big are they? How many kids per cage? Are we talking steel bars, or cyclone fencing? Are they boxes baking in the desert sun, or fenced-in areas of a larger covered space like a warehouse or auditorium or something?

Let's talk about what's actually going on, what parts make sense, and what parts can be improved. Let's not quibble about terminology. And please - no question-begging. No appeals to emotion. I'll stipulate to "concentration camps" and "children in cages", since that's apparently your condition for discussing the topic. So now let's discuss the topic.

Tell me more about these cages.

No. This is another hijack. Another hairsplit. Another "Let's have a civil discussion about the exact 'bad' thing that is happening before I'll admit it is bad."

I'm not gonna sit here and debate on the exact level of cage it's okay to keep a kid in with you.

And if I sat here and went back and forth with you until we had mathematically agreed that "Children must not be kept in cages bigger then X with bar dimensions of Y for periods of not less than Z, excepting in cases of temperatures above Q in which case stipulation W can be invoked..." we would get nowhere because you still wouldn't admit keeping them in the cages was wrong, you'd just hairsplit again into another subtopic.

You're Jabba-ing. Bad. Real bad. As bad as Jabba did. You're proving immortality with Bayesian Statistics as much as you're debating refugee procedures right now.
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure AOC knew what connotations she was trying to flavor the issue with.

I don't like it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I wouldn't have used concentration camp over detention center. Like others have said, we can talk about how bad it is without the extra zest.
 
Like others have said, we can talk about how bad it is without the extra zest.

That works both ways.

We can talk about it with the extra zest as well.

So what the Democrat's current favorite little anointed princess spoke hyperbolicly? Oh Lordy me somebody fetch my fainting couch.

Yeah, that's puts the "Kids in Cages" issue on the back burner. A politician was.... *gasp* overly dramatic!
 
That works both ways.

We can talk about it with the extra zest as well.

So what the Democrat's current favorite little anointed princess spoke hyperbolicly? Oh Lordy me somebody fetch my fainting couch.

Yeah, that's puts the "Kids in Cages" issue on the back burner. A politician was.... *gasp* overly dramatic!

We can always accept that it was probably said for dramatic effect and move on, but people want to bring the conversation back to this point and don't want to acknowledge what she was not so subtly doing. Perhaps too much time is devoted to this, but it cuts both ways.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom