markie's back, at a gallop.
I'll explain the joke to him. In a subsequent post, I'll summarize some of what's happened in this thread during the past few weeks and its contribution to the general drift/current/torrent/flush of these threads.
Oh lordy. Look at equation 1.158 where instead of cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) it is 4cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta). Clearly Mills wanted to have both the internal and external magnetic energy equations in the same general form and to give insight into how they were derived from the earlier equations involving i.
Instead of mathematical sensibility I see ... accusations of 'trying to impress'. Again, lordy.
You are right about the specific equation (1.156) not being an example of Mills "trying to impress" folks like
optiongeek, but
optiongeek's attempted evasion of
JeanTate's questions did indeed demonstrate the fact that the Big Book of Boo-Boos was written to impress people like you and
optiongeek.
After I had written and posted my message, I looked at the context of equation (1.156) and saw where the ridiculous-looking (cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta)) had come from. I added an "ETA" challenging
optiongeek to tell us where that expression had come from, and why
optiongeek thought Mills had written the number 1 that way in that equation.
You have spoiled that challenge, but I think we all know whether
optiongeek would have been up to the challenge.
The hilarious part of
optiongeek's post is that he sought to answer/evade
JeanTate's question by trying to impress
us by pointing to Mills's ability to simplify the triple integral of equation (1.156) into equation (1.157):
optiongeek said:
Do you agree that equation 1.156/1.157 correctly evaluates the integral? I believe it fairly represents the physics of the orbitsphere as described in the preceding text. And then when I plug it into my integral solver, I get the same result as shown.
Out of all the hundreds of equations in the Big Book of Boo-Boos,
optiongeek picked a very easy triple integral that
optiongeek thought was difficult partly because the number 1 had been written as (cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta)). As you have pointed out,
optiongeek's selection of that particular equation says nothing about Mills, but it says a lot about
optiongeek.
In particular, it tells us that
optiongeek's assurances based on
optiongeek's own "reckoning" and beliefs (e.g. as highlighted) are worth about as much as
the vice presidency was worth to John Nance Garner.