• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brilliant Light Power Going To Market - Free Energy Generator Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I linked those papers because they can be understood by readers with a minimal math or physics background....
Readers with a minimum understanding of scientific literature (which is what I wrote about) can understand that you are still cherry picking obscure, probably invalid papers, UncertainH.

What everyone with a minimum understanding of scientific literature knows is that a valid paper that convincingly shows electrons have extent will be published in a well known, established, appropriate, high impact journal such as Nature. Nature has an impact factor of 41 which means that on average a paper is cited 41 times a year by other authors.
Progress in Physics is a newish, lesser known, low impact (2.579) journal.

What everyone with a minimum understanding of scientific literature knows is that an idea that does not convince other scientists is unlikely to be valid. You are touting papers by only 2 authors - Hofer and Pope. A valid, groundbreaking idea would be written about by many authors. A valid, interesting idea would be written about by some authors. An obviously invalid idea is ignored.

What can be understood by readers with a minimal math or physics background is that these papers are physically invalid. The physical evidence is that electrons have no extent.
 
Ignorant fantasy of "mess with fields around the slits" magic

Even with a detector(s) any open slit will still diffract the electron. However a detector(s) will mess with fields around the slits, altering the photon distribution released from the slits as the electron approaches and washing out the discreteness of the momentum pattern.
14 January 2019 markie: Ignorant fantasy of "mess with fields around the slits" magic.
 
Last edited:
I want to record my thanks to Squeegee Beckenheim, davefoc, Darat, RBF, and others. For some very good points on what to focus on in this thread, and how best to respond to the (apparent) science posts by Mills fans, re "Mills theory".

One consequence: I shall be more aggressive in pressing those who write "science" posts on Mills' ideas for explicit answers to questions I ask about the relevant physics (etc). And I would hope that they have the honesty and integrity to answer, even if it's to say "I don't know/I can't answer/etc". For the record, I am somewhat disappointed that some regulars who post in this thread seem to accept at least some of the content of these "science" posts rather too quickly; we're skeptics! :D
 
Delusion that valid science debate is relevant to Mills double slit insanity

Don't think that the science community is of one mind in its view of the double slit experiment. See for instance https://www.pnas.org/content/114/25/6480
14 January 2019 markie: Delusion that valid science debate is relevant to Mills double slit insanity.

Finally making sense of the double-slit experiment is almost valid science on quantum mechanics. It is well known that there are non-local, hidden variable (deterministic) quantum theories that can explain the double-slit experiment as well as standard quantum mechanics. But Bell test experiments have ruled out these non-local, hidden variable theories! Ignore that and we have a valid quantum mechanical paper.
 
Yep markie keeps telling us its actually happened but we cannot 'ride it yet', but this is what the situation actually is:

[qimg]https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5669132032/h6417DAFD/[/qimg]
You can’t ride it yet, but Mills will still sell you overpriced tickets hitched to the front of the dead horse.
 
Last edited:
...

It is stupid to repeat the obvious facts in my post. Point particles have no extent and thus are radially symmetric and no moment of inertia.
...


This relates to something I have been trying to understand of late: Spin. In particular, neutrino spin, but also particle spin in general.

Neutrinos have one chirality and anti-neutrinos have the opposite chirality. OK, except my understand is that spin in this context isn't really spin in the mechanical sense. So in what sense does a neutrino have chirality but it's not really spinning and doesn't have an angular moment of inertia?

And why does a radially symmetric point particle not have a moment of inertia? If it coming at me doesn't it have a moment of inertia relative to me? And if it has chirality is it spinning in some sense in which case it would have angular momentum? OK, maybe I figured out the answer to part of my questions: No diameter equals no angular momentum? Can we really measure the angle momentum of an electron and determine that it is zero?

As an aside I just watched a video on neutrino spin that talked about a theory that neutrinos can have the opposite chirality of the ones we normally detect but these neutrinos interact only with gravity and not the weak force making it really hard to prove they exist.
 
Last edited:
Emphasizes Mills double slit insanity which has no photon exchange ...

The photon exchange would be described classically with Maxwell's equations. ....
14 January 2019 markie: Emphasizes Mills double slit insanity which has no photon exchange described classically with Maxwell's equations :eye-poppi!

Consider the single electron double-slit experiment thought experiment.
A electron approaches a screen with 2 slits with a detecting screen beyond. Classically, the electron either hits the slit screen and stops, goes thru 1 slit and hits the detector screen (or maybe goes through both slits for Mills electron stupidity). That slit screen will be made of unspecified atoms. There is no way to work out any interactions between that electron and these unspecified atoms. Part of the actual thought experiment is that there is no interactions. This is a rational, physical presumption since an single electron could only be deflected by interactions and that would be a bit of noise.

That is another bit of Mills double slit insanity: Interactions that cannot be calculated magically create an inference pattern.

The real world single electron double-slit experiment had no slits until 1 recent experiment :eye-poppi!
Double-slit experiment where an electron microscope emits 1 electron at a time into an "electron biprism" which is a wire between two parallel plates. There are 2 paths that the electron can travel.

Feynman’s double-slit experiment gets a makeover (2013) is individual electrons passing through a gold-plated silicon screen with 2 slits. There is 1 electron per second passing through the apparatus. Each electron his a different spot on the detector and an interference pattern is built up over a period of 2 hours.
 
Last edited:
This relates to something I have been trying to understand of late: Spin. In particular, neutrino spin, but also particle spin in general.


None of this make Mills any less wrong. Unless you have actual evidence that Mills is correct none of this helps his case.
 
This relates to something I have been trying to understand of late: Spin. In particular, neutrino spin, but also particle spin in general.
Chirality is taking the mirror image of the particle.
This is moment of inertia: "Moment of inertia I defined as the ratio of the net angular momentum L of a system to its angular velocity ω around a principal axis". A point particle has an undefined angular velocity.
 
Myself, I think Red Baron is right. It needs to be pointed out that BLP is all talk and no trews loudly and clearly.

30+ years of SFA is not a fashionable look.CP is no different from Ye Olde Bible Circular reasoning.
 
I'm not really sure how much of a good tactic it is to have one person engage Mills supporters on certain specifics of Mills' claims (or science which is reportedly relevant to Mills' claims) only to have several people attack those supporters for talking about things which are deemed to be irrelevant. Not only does that stifle all discussion*, but it gives fuel to the claims that there are no serious challenges to Mills' theory. The last thing that should happen in a conversation between a claimant and a sceptic is that the claimant can go away having confirmed to their satisfaction their perception that sceptics are blinkered/dishonest and just hand-wave away evidence without even looking at it. Yet that's more or less all I'm seeing of late.

I think it's better to engage honestly, or not at all. I don't think berating or belittling people just for trying to discuss the topic of the thread is going to do anything positive or constructive. Isn't picking apart claims like these exactly what this forum is for?
I agree.

On that note, I don't have the knowledge in maths or scientific knowledge to comment intelligently on optiongeek's claim re Mills' classical description of the electron magnetic moment, but I do know that it's the best argument I've seen made in this thread in a while.
optiongeek and markie are impressed by that argument as well.

As will be explained in my next post, that argument fails.

Seriously, when was it that the kooks started posting mathematical formulae, inviting discussion of them, and the sceptics started posting repetitive rants characterised by different font sizes and colours?

When kooks post threads here claiming to have overturned Einstein, or whatever, one common thread is that they post in terms of thought experiments and refuse to do the maths associated with real physics. Here what I'm seeing is optiongeek posting the maths and everybody else responding with dismissive verbosity.
Not everyone.

Consider, for example, the post in which I quoted 13 comical things markie had written within the previous week. Someone who hasn't been paying attention might think that was dismissive (although it would be hard to think it was verbose, since I quoted markie without comment). In each of the quotations, however, there is a little arrow to the right of the markie attribution that, when clicked, will take you to the full text of markie's post. It will also place that post in the context of this thread. In most (but not all) cases, scrolling down will take you to a substantive post in which the absurdity of markie's statement is explained. In at least one of those cases, you yourself responded to markie.

If there is anyone here who doesn't understand why one or more of those 13 quotations from markie are comical, please ask and I will explain.

I completely agree, however, that the hooting and hollering makes it harder to see and to find the substantive posts.

For example, I think most of Darat's posts within the past couple of days have been less than helpful. On the other hand, I can understand why Darat and others who are unable to follow technical discussions might be impatient with substantive responses to technical claims. Many scientifically illiterate people would prefer to exclude technical discussion in order to focus on arguments they can understand, such as
  • Why has Mills spent decades trying to figure out how to extract energy from heat?
  • Why would anyone believe new claims made by someone who has repeatedly said the technology would be marketed by dates that have long since passed?
  • If hydrinos exist, and Mills has published evidence of their existence along with the scientifically necessary details adequate to replicate his results, then why has there been no credible replication of his results?
Those are valid arguments. I am not seeking to exclude those arguments from this thread. I would appreciate it if Darat and a few others would stop trying to exclude technical discussions from this thread.

I would also appreciate it if those who have nothing useful to say were to refrain from saying it, but I also appreciate that there is less of that in this subforum than in some of the other subfora here.

If the maths is wrong, I'd like to see how it's wrong - whether that be by being based on faulty premises and assumptions, whether it's performing mathematical equivocation and combining things that cannot be combined, whether it's applicable only if applied in a very specific way to a very specific set of circumstances*, or whatever else. If it's right but the underlying theory in wrong, I'd like to understand why it is that the maths is right, and why it is that this maths isn't used out in the real world.
Then you should like my next post.

Similarly, whether or not Mills is right about hydrinos (and I think there's plenty of evidence that he is wrong), has no bearing on whether or not he's right about any particular equation. And if an equation he has derived himself is both accurate and more parsimonious and elegant than the equations already in use, then why shouldn't people use it? And, if it is those things then, regardless of the source, isn't that kind of cool?
Yes, that would be cool. It is not the way to bet.

Personally, I suspect that it's wrong in some way that I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand, and I base that conclusion on the other things surrounding it - not least the way Mills has behaved suspiciously in the past, like changing the company name and attempting to erase from existence previous claims.
My next post does not prove the equation is wrong, but it does identify an absurd error in the alleged derivation of that equation, and I believe that error speaks to a technically interesting question: What mistakes did Mills have to make, whether accidentally or on purpose, to convince markie and others that Mills has derived a quantum (non-continuous) theory from the continuous functions that appear within the equations of classical physics?

Huh? Mills isn't claiming that the understanding of classical EM physics was wrong. For instance he makes all kinds of references to Purcell and Jackson. Now in rare cases (iirc) he does take some issue with the textbooks, but it is more a quibble. It is Mills unique application of classical physics and its blend with the older QM that enables him to go beyond others before him.
It might be worth noting that Mills tends to cite freshman-level textbooks, such as Purcell, and articles aimed at teachers, such as the American Journal of Physics, instead of more advanced references such as Jackson. As explained in my next post, Mills's "unique application of classical physics and its blend with the older QM that enables him to go beyond others before him" is founded, at least in part, upon Mills's failure to understand classical physics and quantum mechanics.

Whether those failures are witting or unwitting might be of some interest, but I don't think that question is of great importance.
 
I wish that more on this thread would endeavor to do the same. For all the red-faced bloviating by those who angrily denigrate Mills and his theoretical skills, I've yet to see a single comment in this thread that makes me seriously question the GUTCP derivations I've reviewed. On every equation where I push deep, I invariably convince myself that the GUTCP is sound and the results are self-consistent.

...snip...

As a reminder, GUTCP produces the following equation (Eq 1.228):

g/2 = 1 + alpha/2pi + (2/3)*alpha^2*(alpha/2pi) - (4/3)*(alpha/2pi)^2

Taking alpha^1 = 137.03604 (per CRC), then by my Excel spreadsheet, I get g/2 = 1.001 159 652 121 vs. an experimental value of 1.001 159 652 188.


In the equation I posted, g is the well-known g-factor, which is used to describe the ratio between the magnetic moment and angular momentum of the hydrogen atom. g/2 is a commonly used form, as can be seen at the wiki page describing the anomalous magnetic dipole moment (i.e. spin flip) calculation. Alpha is simply the fine structure constant, the infamous 1/137 that Feynman and others have described as central to understanding matter and energy.


ISF members who are interested in the material but unsure what I am describing can do the same thing I did when I first encountered GUTCP - readstudy the derivations that lead up to the astonishing results. When unfamiliar terms are encountered, follow the references, even if that mean buying textbooks and learning the underlying material. I began as skeptic, certain Mills was trolling for cash just like nearly everyone else on this thread. The difference is that refused to let anyone else do my thinking for me. Fifteen years later, I've learned quite a bit, but nothing that makes me think Mills is a troll.

I'm quite sensitive about any of my contributions generating more heat than light. I consciously limit my posting to only those where I feel certain the ratio will be unambiguously < 1. I apologize if that creates hard feelings, they are not intended.

I appreciate optiongeek's commitment to discussing the claims and the alleged science behind them. One major difference between optiongeek and me is that he has been impressed by "the derivations that lead up to the astonishing results", whereas I have spotted errors, apparently fatal, in each of the half dozen or so of Mills's derivations I have looked at so far. In none of those cases did it take more than an hour of study before I found a serious mistake.

In looking at the derivation of equation (1.228) that optiongeek quoted above, it took less than 30 minutes to trace the derivation of that equation back to the following absurd claim on page 97 of the document cited by optiongeek:

Randell Mills said:
The potential energy of a magnetic moment m in the presence of flux B [6] is:
E = m ∙ B (22)​
...snip...
The electron's magnetic moment may only be parallel or antiparallel to the magnetic field rather than at a continuum of angles including perpendicular according to Eq. (22). No continuum of energies predicted by Eq. (22) for a pure magnetic dipole are possible.
What Mills says there is basically the exact opposite of what his equation (22) actually says.

As anyone who has taken a second-semester course in calculus (or even a semester of linear algebra) should recall:
E = m ∙ B = m B cos θ​
where m and B are the magnitudes of m and B, and θ is the angle between those vectors. The extreme values of E occur when θ is zero or pi, but all possible intermediate values are obtained by taking θ as a value between zero and pi. In short, equation (22) says a continuum of energies is possible.

I realize that quantum mechanics can exclude intermediate angles/values, but Mills is pretending to use the equations of classical physics to derive that exclusion. He says intermediate values are excluded by his equation (22). He's wrong; that's the opposite of what his equation (22) actually says.


The paragraph preceding equation (1.228) derives that equation from equation (1.168), which is related to equation (28) of Box 1.1, which is preceded by the ridiculous claim quoted above.

Classical physics can describe systems that converge so rapidly to a metastable state as to mimic a quantum effect, but intermediate states will be visible within the state transitions if you look closely enough. For example, digital logic gates can be built out of bipolar transistors, and the intermediate states that appear within transitions can be ignored so long as you don't try to run the gates at too high a clock speed.

But that's not what markie has been claiming, and that is not what Mills has been doing. To extract quantum behavior from continuous functions, Mills had to pull a fast one somewhere. He did that here.
 
I appreciate optiongeek's commitment to discussing the claims and the alleged science behind them. One major difference between optiongeek and me is that he has been impressed by "the derivations that lead up to the astonishing results", whereas I have spotted errors, apparently fatal, in each of the half dozen or so of Mills's derivations I have looked at so far. In none of those cases did it take more than an hour of study before I found a serious mistake.

In looking at the derivation of equation (1.228) that optiongeek quoted above, it took less than 30 minutes to trace the derivation of that equation back to the following absurd claim on page 97 of the document cited by optiongeek:


What Mills says there is basically the exact opposite of what his equation (22) actually says.

As anyone who has taken a second-semester course in calculus (or even a semester of linear algebra) should recall:
E = m ∙ B = m B cos θ​
where m and B are the magnitudes of m and B, and θ is the angle between those vectors. The extreme values of E occur when θ is zero or pi, but all possible intermediate values are obtained by taking θ as a value between zero and pi. In short, equation (22) says a continuum of energies is possible.

I realize that quantum mechanics can exclude intermediate angles/values, but Mills is pretending to use the equations of classical physics to derive that exclusion. He says intermediate values are excluded by his equation (22). He's wrong; that's the opposite of what his equation (22) actually says.


The paragraph preceding equation (1.228) derives that equation from equation (1.168), which is related to equation (28) of Box 1.1, which is preceded by the ridiculous claim quoted above.

Classical physics can describe systems that converge so rapidly to a metastable state as to mimic a quantum effect, but intermediate states will be visible within the state transitions if you look closely enough. For example, digital logic gates can be built out of bipolar transistors, and the intermediate states that appear within transitions can be ignored so long as you don't try to run the gates at too high a clock speed.

But that's not what markie has been claiming, and that is not what Mills has been doing. To extract quantum behavior from continuous functions, Mills had to pull a fast one somewhere. He did that here.

Thank you for your analysis. Yes, quantization of the allowed energy states doesn't sound "classical". However, I wouldn't say that Mills is trying to be exactly sneaky about it. He mentions in a number of places that conservation of angular momentum leads to quantization, exactly as we see in photons. In fact, conservation of angular momentum and the resulting quantization of allowed energy states is one of the underlying axioms of GUTCP. In the section labeled "Foundations" starting on page 41, he lists the following principle:

"Conservation of linear and angular momentum"

and the following assumption:

"Fundamental particles including the photon have h_bar of angular momentum".

And later on in Box 1.1, he does discuss the implication of equation 22 and the necessity of quantizing the energy levels from these assumptions. (see the discussion around equations 34 and 35). I do agree that this is an open question to consider but I don't see how it changes the nature of the equation 1.228, which is predicated on a universe in which angular momentum is conserved and quantized in fundamental particles.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your analysis. Yes, quantization of the allowed energy states doesn't sound "classical". However, I wouldn't say that Mills is trying to be exactly sneaky about it. He mentions in a number of places that conservation of angular momentum leads to quantization, exactly as we see in photons. In fact, conservation of angular momentum and the resulting quantization of allowed energy states is one of the underlying axioms of GUTCP. In the section labeled "Foundations" starting on page 41, he lists the following principle:

"Conservation of linear and angular momentum"

and the following assumption:

"Fundamental particles including the photon have h_bar of angular momentum".

And later on in Box 1.1, he does discuss the implication of equation 22 and the necessity of quantizing the energy levels from these assumptions. (see the discussion around equations 34 and 35). I do agree that this is an open question to consider but I don't see how it changes the nature of the equation 1.228, which is predicated on a universe in which angular momentum is conserved and quantized in fundamental particles.


Quantization of angular momentum cannot be derived from the laws of classical physics. Because Mills could not derive quantization from classical physics, he had to assume that axiom of quantum mechanics.

markie has claimed, repeatedly, that Mills can explain quantum phenomena using only classical physics. For example:

First you should be aware that for any real 'quantum' effect observed, Mills offers a classical explanation, with the mathematics to quantify it.


We have made progress here: optiongeek agrees that one of markie's silliest and most common claims is false.
 
Quantization of angular momentum cannot be derived from the laws of classical physics.

. . .which, I imagine, is why it's listed as an as assumption of GUTCP, similar to its treatment under QM. The two postulates of QM that GUTCP explicitly rejects: i) the Schrodinger equation and ii) the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, don't predict quantization of angular momentum either.

I suspect Mills includes it as a assumption because any GUT that didn't recognize quantization would indeed be silly for ignoring such a boundary condition. The text you found appears to me simply an acknowledgement that the Universe is filled with fundamental particles that are quantized in angular momentum and therefore deals with that fact in a sensible way.
 
[snip] I would think it would be much 'noisier' because among other things the CMB radiation intensity peaks around 2 mm at z=0.

Typo. CMB radiation intensity peak of around 2mm is of course from a hugely redshifted (and near perfect) blackbody curve, and z (measure of redshift) would be more on the order of something like 1000, not 0.
 
. . .which, I imagine, is why it's listed as an as assumption of GUTCP, similar to its treatment under QM. The two postulates of QM that GUTCP explicitly rejects: i) the Schrodinger equation and ii) the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, don't predict quantization of angular momentum either.


And yet:

New World Encyclopedia said:
Indeed, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is equivalent to a theorem in functional analysis that the standard deviation of the squared absolute value of a function, times the standard deviation of the squared absolute value of its Fourier transform, is at least 1/(16π²) (Folland and Sitaram, Theorem 1.1).


That article goes on to give a purely mathematical derivation of the uncertainty principle based entirely on linear algebra and the properties of Hilbert spaces (which include the vector spaces that are most familiar to most people who have heard of vector spaces; the real line is a Hilbert space, as is the xy plane, as is Euclidean three-space, etc).
 
As of today, we have to wait a mere 20 (50) (-12) days before the world has concrete, independent, evidence of the existence of a hydrino-powered generator. So sayeth markie ("26 February, 2019") and tlp/Holvestott.

As all regular readers of this thread know, Mills' claims to have produced hydrinos date back at least to the 1990s. Many, but not all, such claims are based on interpretation of spectra; some claims are based on observations that energy produced by various devices is greater than expected.

And some claims are about having produced hydrino compounds, including di-hydrino gas and liquid, in measurable quantities.

The methods by which Mills claims to have produced hydrinos are detailed in several documents by Mills (and BLP, and the "validation reports"), documents which are fairly easily obtained, legally.

Mills has quite a few ardent fans, all of whom seem to accept that hydrinos are real, and that Mills has produced significant quantities of them. Several such fans seem to feel they understand the production methods well enough to vigorously defend them.

Caveat: I am not a chemist, nor one who is very familiar with the tools and techniques used by those who study atomic physics. That said, my impression is that it should be quite simple and straight-forward to replicate a "Mills method" and produce hydrinos (or compounds) in significant quantities. And then to collect/trap them, as a way to start to understand their physical and chemical properties. And I think this should be possible for a modest cost (say, ~$US100k). All well within reach of the resources of many, if not all, the Mills fans who've posted here.

Given that a report detailing even a few of these physical and chemical properties would almost certainly lead to a Nobel Prize (and substantial fortune), I find it very odd that no Mills fan has considered doing something like this on their own; no GoFundMe pages, and not even any discussion of how to go about doing this. It's almost as if, in terms of actions, they don't think hydrinos exist. :p

What do you think?

Afaik a couple of independently minded Mills' fans from years ago have gone out on their own, with their own modified theories, trying to get, perhaps, better results. Others like myself think Mills and his collaborators have done a supreme job over the years of producing experiments that document hydrino formation environments and product.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom