• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Satanic Sculpture at Illinois Statehouse.

Reasons: they literally sat down and lifted Christan symbols and names, coupled them with B movie devil worshipping images, and declared themselves a non theistic religion.

Are you freaking 5 years old to even put up a pretense of taking this seriously?

Definition of sincere

"free from pretense or deceit; proceeding from genuine feelings."

The fact they declare openly what you said is an act free from pretended and deceit and their genuine feelings.
 
Definition of sincere

"free from pretense or deceit; proceeding from genuine feelings."

The fact they declare openly what you said is an act free from pretended and deceit and their genuine feelings.

Ok. They are sincerely pretending to be a religion.
 
So what the hell do you even want at this point? The Satanist get to put up their display but we all have to line up and wag our fingers and furl our brows at them for being "petty" and "insincere?"
 
Last edited:
So what the hell do you even want at this point? The Satanist get to put up their display but we all have to line up and wag our fingers at them for being "petty?"

I made a passing freaking comment on page one that I have been responding to challenges on for six *****"-*****"" pages. Said challenges having little to nothing to do with my posting.

So, better question: what the hell do you want? There's no discussion here, as you only argue positions I do not hold. Why, I ask, are you and yours keeping this going?
 
No you didn't make a "passing comment." The idea the the minority religion is being "petty" simply for exercising their right to do exactly what the majority religion is doing (which is where your insane and insulting strawman comparisons to the WBC fall apart) has been the literal end of the rope you won't drop.

What I want is for you to understand that your stance on the Satanist display is a double standard based in religious intolerance.
 
I made a passing freaking comment on page one that I have been responding to challenges on for six *****"-*****"" pages. Said challenges having little to nothing to do with my posting.

So, better question: what the hell do you want? There's no discussion here, as you only argue positions I do not hold. Why, I ask, are you and yours keeping this going?

Obviously, we're trying to convince you that calling them dicks is cultural Christian bias, which it is.

But, just as it's their right to do what they did, it's your right to call them dicks, and our right to try to convince you how wrong you are.

A lot of tilting at windmills, but it's what puts the **** in ISF. :)
 
No you didn't make a "passing comment." The idea the the minority religion is being "petty" simply for exercising their right to do exactly what the majority religion is doing (which is where your insane and insulting strawman comparisons to the WBC fall apart) has been the literal end of the rope you won't drop.

Religious protections are serious. They protect people from real discrimination. Putting a spaghetti strainer on your head for your drivers license picture and saying 'hurr durr, its mah religion' is freaking childish. And that is plus or minus what is happening here. As I keep saying, they do have a point, and a valid one. But I am not going to pretend they are devout Satanists, or an actual religion.

Yet again: they legally have every right to display snakey handy thingy. I would fight for their right to fo so. But it is still stupid. It is still a made-up religion.

What I want is for you to understand that your stance on the Satanist display is a double standard based in religious intolerance.

It is not. I support it being there legally. But it is not a Menorah, or other actual religious symbol. It is satire to make a point, and one I welcome in other contexts, such as public school curricula and monuments of the ten commandments.

BTW, did you catch the irony yet again of you saying 'just do it our way, we are the majority after all'. Its just priceless
 
Last edited:
Obviously, we're trying to convince you that calling them dicks is cultural Christian bias, which it is.

But, just as it's their right to do what they did, it's your right to call them dicks, and our right to try to convince you how wrong you are.

A lot of tilting at windmills, but it's what puts the **** in ISF. :)

Well, agreed for the most part. A lot of this boils down to whether or not the devil dudes are an actual religion. Being non theistic and made up and all.
 
The Jews also don't celebrate cultural Christian traditions, are they being dicks for their non-participatory display? The Jews went through similar accusations of being dicks a couple decades ago.

I remember the Christian ******** complaining back in the late 60s when the local Jewish community added a Menorah to the holiday displays in a local town owned and operated park. The ******** where upset that this Jewish thing was there with the Nativity scene, Santa and other pseudo-Christian symbols.
 
No contradiction. I'm just highlighting the blatant dishonesty of offering "yeah, these guys have every right in the world to do what they are doing" as a summary of your entire position throughout the thread.

Dave

Why do you think its dishonest to acknowledge a right, and still opine on the perceived abuse of that right?
 
I don't. I think it's dishonest to say two things for six pages and then pretend that you've only been saying one of them for six pages.

Dave

I have said both, and dear god repeatedly, from page one. As we are all in full agreement on the first, you find it 'dishonest' that it would not be hammered as often? Well...ok...
 
I have said both, and dear god repeatedly, from page one. As we are all in full agreement on the first, you find it 'dishonest' that it would not be hammered as often? Well...ok...

If you're feeling persecuted for your beliefs, just say so. Then we'll judge whether your beliefs are sincere enough to merit respecting, and if you pass you may erect a display (at your own expense) in the state capitol of your choice. That will not, however, be deemed an indication that you are not considered 'a dick'.
 
If you're feeling persecuted for your beliefs, just say so. Then we'll judge whether your beliefs are sincere enough to merit respecting, and if you pass you may erect a display (at your own expense) in the state capitol of your choice. That will not, however, be deemed an indication that you are not considered 'a dick'.

Good idea. First, I'll make up some BS religion out of the clear blue sky: the Church of the swinging Johnson. Its totes sincere and real. You will be free and entirely accurate to call my statuary a dick.
 
Well, agreed for the most part. A lot of this boils down to whether or not the devil dudes are an actual religion. Being non theistic and made up and all.
They are an actual religion by all standards. Anything you say of Satanists can be said Christianity and vice versa.

You equate the Satanists with WBC, when the Satanists present a quiet and dignified display vs WBC yelling and litigating and raising a stink. WBC supports the nativity, and not Santa, and raises a loud stink. Christians are dicks.

What does non-theistic have to do with anything? There are several non-theistic religions... Or aren't they allowed to participate in this Pagan festival [ETA: visually celebrate their religion at this time of year]? Again, cultural Christian bias at work.

As has been said, all religions are made up. It seems the Satanists are adhering to their doctrine and firmly believe what they say.
 
Last edited:
Good idea. First, I'll make up some BS religion out of the clear blue sky: the Church of the swinging Johnson. Its totes sincere and real. You will be free and entirely accurate to call my statuary a dick.

You stuck on the ideas that:

A) you have some sort of inherent right or ability to rank the sincerity of religions.

B) any of that matters even if you did.

Nobody here gets the point of your "ADMIT THEY ARE JUST PLAYING! ADMIT IT!" theatrics because we don't care because it doesn't make a difference.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom