• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

New SCOTUS Judge II: The Wrath of Kavanaugh

The sad part is the Right will wind up being "correct" for the very, very, very worst possible version of "correct."

When things get bad enough that they can't bury their head in the sand any longer they'll pretend like they also knew it was going to happen, brow beat the smart people they've been dismissing for decades to pull an 11th hour miracle solution out of their ass, take credit for it, and somehow come out the winner.
 
Woah, back up a second. What?


Emotional and physical abuse are a common part of conversion therapy, and "corrective" rape is rather less common, but still an tactic used by some, particularly when "converting" lesbians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/opinion/gay-conversion-therapy-torture.html
https://www.hrc.org/resources/the-lies-and-dangers-of-reparative-therapy
https://theconversation.com/treatme...-therapy-must-be-banned-across-the-country-2/
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Reparative_therapy
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Corrective_rape

While the extreme forms of torture and "corrective" rape happen more often in developing countries, there have been reported instances of their use in the US. I can't find the info on it at the moment, but I do recall at least one conversion therapy "clinic" being shut down amidst allegations of rape by staff, and believe it was posted on the forum a while back. Search isn't finding it, though.

Minors who undergo conversion therapy also have higher rates of suicide than their peers.

Here you're being generous. Climate change threatens to make the Earth lifeless forever.


I think that's a bit of hyperbole. It can certainly make it inhabitable for many or all higher life forms if it's extreme enough, but there will be plenty of life that will survive in the oceans even in a worst-case scenario, such as the extremophiles that live around volcanic vents on the sea floor.
 
So he didn't even try back when he had a Democratic majority in both houses. And regardless of whatever credit you want to give him for trying in 2015, he failed. Which means that the situation now regarding conversion therapy isn't actually different.


Legislation takes time to craft, and the Democratic majority in the House lasted less than two years, not nearly the six years you are implying here. Not really enough time to address the issue, write up a bill, and shepherd it through committee. Once the GOP took majority control of the House in November 2010, there was no way such a bill was ever going to get through Congress. And, as others have pointed out, there were much higher priorities during those first two years.

And not all Dems were or are supportive of a federal ban on conversion therapy; a few red-state Dems kept (and still keep) trying to appease the majority conservative populations in their states.
 
Last edited:
Legislation takes time to craft, and the Democratic majority in the House lasted less than two years, not nearly the six years you are implying here.

Come on, now. By your own formulation, there's gays in camps, and the Dems want to put a stop to it. They could have spent their entire time in the minority crafting legislation, even knowing it would never get to a floor vote... right up to the moment they achieved majority, and then they could get it to the President in a week and a half, let alone a year and a half.

Hell, the Dems could have spent their six years in the wilderness telling the American public "we have a bill crafted and ready to go, and a President who's ready to sign it, but the damned Republicans won't let us get the gays out of camps." Assuming, you know, gays were actually in camps and the Dems were actually more motivated than the Pubs to do something about it.
 
Wouldn't be a bad idea to read the thread title and get back on track. Just a thought.
 
No more a drunk than Kavanaugh, and not as rapey. Actually, K-man is worse as he was so drunk, he couldn't complete the rape.

Let's lookie-lou at this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ience-researchers-say/?utm_term=.d0eaf39d28b8

Which is why I believe Dr. Ford over Kavanaugh.

fantastic! that is two down, starting with Avenatti's and then with drunk Yalie, which leaves us the good Dr. ford.

As such, we have dismantled the fiction that there were multiple credible accounts. Correct? Yes__ No__
 
Last edited:
No more a drunk than Kavanaugh, and not as rapey. Actually, K-man is worse as he was so drunk, he couldn't complete the rape.

Let's lookie-lou at this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ience-researchers-say/?utm_term=.d0eaf39d28b8



Which is why I believe Dr. Ford over Kavanaugh.

Very interesting, and as someone who was beaten up as a schoolboy about 50 years ago, it explains why I remember exactly who my attackers were (I knew both of them) but not much else about exactly where and when the beating happened.

Trumpsters and Goppers wont read this, because its irrefutable and too "sciency"; they are either too dumb to understand, or they wilfully don't want to understand because doing so would almost certainly tip over their carefully constructed fantasy world.
 
Stupendous!

All that's really needed is the credible and reliable testimony of Dr. Ford. Kavanaugh got blinding drunk and failed (thank goodness) in his rape attempt.

He got away with it.

that leaves us with Dr. Ford, who identified four other people at the house, three that deny it, one says she can't remember.

Ford can't remember who, what, where, when or how about it, but the leftists think she was "credible and reliable."

They are of course mistaken.

Congratulations Justice Kavanaugh
 
Very interesting, and as someone who was beaten up as a schoolboy about 50 years ago, it explains why I remember exactly who my attackers were (I knew both of them) but not much else about exactly where and when the beating happened.

Trumpsters and Goppers wont read this, because its irrefutable and too "sciency"; they are either too dumb to understand, or they wilfully don't want to understand because doing so would almost certainly tip over their carefully constructed fantasy world.

It holds for less traumatic things too. I remember my first kiss. I remember who she was and where we were. I remember a car waiting, but I don't know who was in the car. I remember we had been out, but I don't know where or why. I think it was night, but it could have just been late afternoon or early evening. I don't remember the year or the time of year. I could probably limit it to a couple of years if I can get some yearbooks, but I don't have those yearbooks.

But I know who it was. That is not a question.
 
Very interesting, and as someone who was beaten up as a schoolboy about 50 years ago, it explains why I remember exactly who my attackers were (I knew both of them) but not much else about exactly where and when the beating happened.

Trumpsters and Goppers wont read this, because its irrefutable and too "sciency"; they are either too dumb to understand, or they wilfully don't want to understand because doing so would almost certainly tip over their carefully constructed fantasy world.
Claims to remember something, without any independent corroboration, are neither irrefutable nor sciency.

When was the last time you actually bothered to check your memory of that event against independent sources? Do you have any indpendent documentation of this check, that we can review and assess for ourselves? As it stands, your claim doesn't even rise to the level of anecdotal evidence. Which is barely science at all.

"Irrefutable" is premature. You haven't even got past "that which can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
 
that leaves us with Dr. Ford, who identified four other people at the house, three that deny it, one says she can't remember.

Ford can't remember who, what, where, when or how about it, but the leftists think she was "credible and reliable."

They are of course mistaken.

Congratulations Justice Kavanaugh
She actually remembers quite a bit; repeating Trump's lie about her memory makes you look foolish. As to her memory of the attempted rape, it is most likely very accurate as my link attests.

He is Justice Gotawaywith it.
 
It holds for less traumatic things too. I remember my first kiss. I remember who she was and where we were. I remember a car waiting, but I don't know who was in the car. I remember we had been out, but I don't know where or why. I think it was night, but it could have just been late afternoon or early evening. I don't remember the year or the time of year. I could probably limit it to a couple of years if I can get some yearbooks, but I don't have those yearbooks.

But I know who it was. That is not a question.

When was the last time you calibrated your recollection against independent sources?
 
It holds for less traumatic things too. I remember my first kiss. I remember who she was and where we were. I remember a car waiting, but I don't know who was in the car. I remember we had been out, but I don't know where or why. I think it was night, but it could have just been late afternoon or early evening. I don't remember the year or the time of year. I could probably limit it to a couple of years if I can get some yearbooks, but I don't have those yearbooks.

But I know who it was. That is not a question.
If Dr. Ford and Kavanaugh were not previously acquainted, I'd be much more amenable to the mistaken identity argument. But they were. She was definitely traumatized at that "party" and I think there is no question by whom.
 
She actually remembers quite a bit; repeating Trump's lie about her memory makes you look foolish. As to her memory of the attempted rape, it is most likely very accurate as my link attests.

He is Justice Gotawaywith it.

Trump's lie? Calling her failure to remember any detail of the alleged encounter is actual and factual.

She remembers nothing about it, and the people who she says were there don't either and three of them say it didn't happen.

She claims she had a single beer too.:rolleyes:
 
It holds for less traumatic things too. I remember my first kiss. I remember who she was and where we were. I remember a car waiting, but I don't know who was in the car. I remember we had been out, but I don't know where or why. I think it was night, but it could have just been late afternoon or early evening.

I recall my first kiss in high school. 1980 in a movie theatre in Waikiki in late December. Saw the movie 9-5 starring Jane Fonda in the early evening. Drove there in my mom's VW bug. Parked in the parking lot adjacent to the theatre. After the movie, we went to a place called Rainbow's Drive Inn (it was once featured Diner's Drive Inns and Dives) and had a cheeseburger and a slush float. After that, called it a night and took my date home.
 
She actually remembers quite a bit; repeating Trump's lie about her memory makes you look foolish. As to her memory of the attempted rape, it is most likely very accurate as my link attests.

He is Justice Gotawaywith it.

Too bad she never went to the police with her accurate memory of stuff that really happened.

Too bad she kept her accusations to herself, and let him get away with it, all through his time as a law clerk at the Third and Ninth Circuits, all through his fellowship with the Solictor General, all through his clerkship at the Supreme Court, all through his career in the Office of the Independent Counsel, all through his career at Kirkland and Ellis. Etc. All through his career as a Circuit Judge. Etc.

Ford is supposed to have known Kavanaugh almost her entire life. She's supposed to have remembered him clearly as the boy who tried to rape her in high school. But up until his nomination to the Supreme Court earlier this year, it never once occurred to her to go to the authorities and stop him from getting away with it. Never once did it occur to her to write to any of his other prospective employers, detailing his misconduct and influencing their hiring decision.

So I'm dubious that he's actually done anything to "get away with".
 
Now that we have Rapey McRapeface and Gorsuch on the supreme court, any such legislation that is passed in the future (by either a future federal Democratic congress/president, or by some state) is more likely to be found unconstitutional because Baby Jesus wanted gays to be straight (according to the evangelicals who hold sway).
Even the legislation that has already been passed in the various states could be challenged and brought to the supreme court, where it would almost certainly be held unconstitutional on "freedom to practice my religion by torturing others" grounds. I'm sure someone somewhere is trying to get a case underway.
 
Trump's lie? Calling her failure to remember any detail of the alleged encounter is actual and factual.

She remembers nothing about it, and the people who she says were there don't either and three of them say it didn't happen.

She claims she had a single beer too.:rolleyes:
Have you been drinking? Her testimony details the where, the how, and most importantly, the who.

Fortunately the who was too stinking drunk.
https://www.factcheck.org/2018/10/trump-repeatedly-wrong-on-fords-testimony/

Trump: “Upstairs, downstairs, where was it?” “I don’t know.”

That’s false. Ford testified that the alleged assault happened in a bedroom upstairs, while she was on her way to the upstairs bathroom.

“Early in the evening, I went up a very narrow set of stairs leading from the living room to a second floor to use the restroom,” she told the Senate Judiciary Committee. “When I got to the top of the stairs, I was pushed from behind into a bedroom across from the bathroom. I couldn’t see who pushed me. Brett and Mark [Judge] came into the bedroom and locked the door behind them.”
Just one of Trump's lies. Repeating Trump's bull **** makes you look foolish, again.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom