• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Democrat, Republican or Independent?

November how will you vote?

  • Democrat

    Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Republican

    Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Indepedent

    Votes: 25 35.2%

  • Total voters
    71
  • Poll closed .
Smart polls go with X, leans X, Neutral, leans Y, Y. There are some states, after all, where people never have to register with a party (where parties aren't recognized, even). But, yes, if an "Independent" can say "I haven't voted for a (Rep/Dem) since the Truman/Dewey election", they're pretty much not independent at all but are a reliable vote for their party.

Again, I put the poll up to compare to the actual election. I wasn't aware leans towards a party is available on the ballot. If you like independent, but will actually vote other wise vote here what you will actually vote.
 
Same suggestion to the other furriners. IF YOU WERE given a vote, how would you be voting. Generally, not just in Trump Era terms.
Ok then, as one of those furriners.
I grew up in a home where US politics were followed quite closely, with a very obvious pro Democrat bias.

True to that upbringing, I would vote Democrat in general, and most certainly in this Trump era.
 
I really, really hate that right wingers use Democrat Party as a perjorative for Democratic, but don't say Republic Party for Republican. It is such an obvious Gingrich-style highjacking of language. River, I'm talking to you.
 
Again, I put the poll up to compare to the actual election. I wasn't aware leans towards a party is available on the ballot. If you like independent, but will actually vote other wise vote here what you will actually vote.


The problem is that many people who consider themselves "independent" don't actually vote that way. They would still, however, defend to the death the fact that they are independent. They honestly believe it.

The best indicator is how someone has voted in previous elections. There aren't a whole lot of people who voted for Kerry, then McCain, switched to Obama, then went for Trump.
 
I read that the "independent" label isn't really representative of independence. Something over two thirds of all people who call themselves "independent" largely vote for one or the other party and rarely cross party lines.
I am registered Independent and would love to abolish the party system altogether. I lean left (actual left) but have voted for Republican candidates. I usually default to voting for Democrats as a lesser of two evils thing, but the Democratic party is still way too Wall Street-friendly for my tastes. They're yesterday's Republicans, as the GOP has been co-opted by neo-cons and now boot-licking Trumpsters.
 
All of those categories are on the ballet this November? Interesting. I did a poll about where peoples vote will go in November. Not what they consider right or left. I can somewhat compare these results to the actual results of the election from the public in mass.

I don't plan on going to the ballet this fall, but I might vote for a Libertarian on the ballot. In my state, there are no "Independent" candidates of any note.

Your poll is awful, and you really, really should have listened to Foolmewunz' sage advice.
 
I don't plan on going to the ballet this fall, but I might vote for a Libertarian on the ballot. In my state, there are no "Independent" candidates of any note.

Your poll is awful, and you really, really should have listened to Foolmewunz' sage advice.

Feel free to abstain from the poll if you dislike it.
 
If I'm honest, I literally have to abstain, because in November I will vote for both Republicans and Democrats, and your poll only allows one entry.

There are many elections, this is more of a feeler gauge than any very accurate description of each race. It's not meant to be more than that. This along with Fools thread should give a pretty good indicator of how this forum compares with the general public and which way on the political spectrum it leans. Interesting stuff. (although not unpredictable, even though some questioned it) If you may be voting for more than one party average it and choose the greater option.
 
Last edited:
I sort of understand the point of the poll, but I do think it's bound to be inaccurate in at least some ways. As I mentioned, for example, although I'm an inveterate Democrat, who actually gets my vote in this particular mid-term election is unlikely to be indicative. I'm fairly sure to vote for our famously independent senator (Bernie), our Democratic representative, and am still undecided on whom to vote for as Governor, but it just might be a Republican.
 
The poll appears to have been written by someone who votes straight party ticket and can't imagine that others might not. Either that or someone who only has one position on the ballot that needs filled.
 
There is, of course, something to be said for the straight party ticket, depending on how it's done.

Back in the days of Nixon, I went with my parents to the polls. Back then, Connecticut used mechanical voting machines with a party lever. You could pull that lever and then split the ticket, or vote individuals without pulling the lever. My mom, as usual, voted D but took a discreetly long time making individual votes. My dad, a rabid Nixon-hater and a liberal who was a little pink around the edges, strode into the booth, pulled the curtain shut with a slam, pulled the party lever with a slam, and opened the curtain with a corresponding slam, and strode out. The whole operation took seconds. There's no electioneering allowed at the polls, but there was no ambiguity about the statement.
 
There is, of course, something to be said for the straight party ticket, depending on how it's done.

Back in the days of Nixon, I went with my parents to the polls. Back then, Connecticut used mechanical voting machines with a party lever. You could pull that lever and then split the ticket, or vote individuals without pulling the lever. My mom, as usual, voted D but took a discreetly long time making individual votes. My dad, a rabid Nixon-hater and a liberal who was a little pink around the edges, strode into the booth, pulled the curtain shut with a slam, pulled the party lever with a slam, and opened the curtain with a corresponding slam, and strode out. The whole operation took seconds. There's no electioneering allowed at the polls, but there was no ambiguity about the statement.


Isn't it ambiguous as to which party he voted for? Surely you can't tell how people are voting from the sound of the machine?
 
I'd be a Republican if there were still room in the party for people like Tom McCall, Mark Hatfield, Allen Simpson, Bob Packwood (minus all the sexual weirdness). It's embarrassing to be a Republican now. You have to reject education and science. The Republican party is no longer the party of Eisenhower who responded to Sputnik with an aggressive math and science education program at all levels of education. Pretty much to be a Republican, you have to tell the world you're stupid and like being stupid. I didn't leave the party. The party left me.


As for Trump, that's just a matter of patriotism. Real Americans, loyal Americans don't support Trump. If you support Trump, you're a hyphenated, something less than a true American. We're waiting to welcome you back once you renounce the treason that is supporting Trump.

You are on a roll today.
 
Independent, which in my state means I can vote in any one primary. I voted in the GOP primary with one criteria, the least trumpy candidate.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom