• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Democrat, Republican or Independent?

November how will you vote?

  • Democrat

    Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Republican

    Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Indepedent

    Votes: 25 35.2%

  • Total voters
    71
  • Poll closed .
Isn't this same problem as in the other thread, River? You seem to again be conflating anti-Trump with left.

That's what the discussion is for. Also, you'll note that many have said they were not aligned with republicans right now, not just anti trump. An interesting experiment.
 
Also, you'll note that many have said they were not aligned with republicans right now, not just anti trump.

You do realize that for many that's a causal relationship, don't you?

They're not aligned with Republicans right now specifically because they're anti-Trump.
 
Crap, I made a mistake and clicked Republican. I'm Canadian, so I don't vote in the US. But if I did, it would be Democratic.
 
Blue Dog Dem in theory. In practice, whatever is best for the constituents.

I voted repeatedly for my Republican congressman, and recently a Democrat Senator. Voted almost consistently Democrat in presidential elections, Pres George H.W. Bush the exception.

No poll option available.
 
That's what the independent option is for.

What I have in mind is to compare the results of this with the actual results of the election and get a feel for how the forum votes in comparison to the public at large.

The forum will vote quite considerably more Democrat than Republican.

That's a cool mill for me, Paypal fine.
 
It's customary to have a Planet X option, which is usually humorous, and stands in for the "none of the above" option.

For example, something like,

[ ] On Planet X, parties vote for you.

I live in Portland, OR, so I probably won't bother to vote nationally. Locally, my votes will go to the least dumpster-fiery progressives on the ballot, as best I can determine. One nice thing about voting locally is that party is less relevant than platform and policy.

What does living in Portland have to do with voting nationally? I live in Portland, too, and I always vote locally and nationally.
I vote for the least holy roller-anti choice-pro Trumper I can. Anyone who supports Trump will never, ever get my vote.
 
River, you really have to take the time to ACTUALLY READ threads. In the master thread where you were musing about starting a poll I took the time to write you up a very good precis as to how you should consider doing it.

You didn't read it because you ignored every single thing in it.

It's done in stages. I do the TLA/Pith polls every month. First you create your question, in which it is a good idea to itemize the options and the procedure.

Describe the poll and the intent. Titles can be misleading and with this lot even if they're not, someone will argue that the thread title/poll title are not clear.

When you get to the point you're ready to submit, you simply click the radio button that asks if you wish to include a poll. You then choose the number of options (max. 20). It will post your new thread but you are then taken to the poll creation screen. You have to give the poll a title. You then fill in all the options you've given in your OP. At the bottom of the poll it asks you if you want to make it multiple choice, if you want voters choices visible (it doesn't tell you but that's visible to members only BEFORE they vote), and an expiry date for the poll.

Suggestion: We've had similar polls and if you limit it to simple broad terms you will get more argument than response. Are you "Fascist >> Monarchist >> Reactionary >> Conservative >> Libertarian >> Moderate >> Liberal >> Progressive >> Socialist >> Fringe Left Crazy would seem to cover a lot of territory, but I can bet that the first or second response is "well, I can't answer because I'm socially progressive but fiscally moderate to conservative".

You can manage some of that in your OP. "Look, Bob, we know the choices are limited but somewhere in those ten items you should be able to pick the one closest to you. If not, there's always the 11th choice."


The 11th choice is always (except in the language awards) Planet X. You can say Planet X Don't Know, Don't Care, Not Willing to Say. But make it Planet X because it's an old meme and people will complain and distract if you don't.





Let's specifically address your claim: This Forum Is Left-Leaning.


Why are you asking about political parties? What does an "Independent" stand for?

This is a crap poll and you deserve to have it thrown back in your face countless times as proof of your pig-headed intransigence.
 
I can't vote in the US elections, but if I could, I would normally either vote Independent or Republican

Because I so despise Trump and everything he stands for, I would vote Democrat this time (in order to kerb his most dangerous tendencies for the next two years) and again in 2020 to oust him.
 
I can't vote in the US elections, but if I could, I would normally either vote Independent or Republican

Because I so despise Trump and everything he stands for, I would vote Democrat this time (in order to kerb his most dangerous tendencies for the next two years) and again in 2020 to oust him.

Suggestion: Click one or the other. The OP lives under a cabbage leaf and doesn't realize the number of foreign-based members we have here who are active in the discussion of US Politics.

Same suggestion to the other furriners. IF YOU WERE given a vote, how would you be voting. Generally, not just in Trump Era terms.
 
WRT the pollers who selected "independent". What does that mean when there is no one on the ticket for an office running as Independent ?
Does that mean you will not cast a vote for that office?
It means you vote for whomever you prefer regardless of party affiliation.
 
River, you really have to take the time to ACTUALLY READ threads. In the master thread where you were musing about starting a poll I took the time to write you up a very good precis as to how you should consider doing it.

You didn't read it because you ignored every single thing in it.







Let's specifically address your claim: This Forum Is Left-Leaning.


Why are you asking about political parties? What does an "Independent" stand for?

This is a crap poll and you deserve to have it thrown back in your face countless times as proof of your pig-headed intransigence.

All of those categories are on the ballet this November? Interesting. I did a poll about where peoples vote will go in November. Not what they consider right or left. I can somewhat compare these results to the actual results of the election from the public in mass.
 
Last edited:
All of those categories are on the ballet this November? Interesting. I did a poll about where peoples vote will go in November. Not what they consider right or left. I can somewhat compare these results to the actual results of the election from the public in mass.

Do you read even your own posts? Your contention, was it not, was that these forums are left-leaning? My friend Sven The Socialist would give you some serious debate as to whether the Democratic Party is left-leaning.

It will do far better to prove your point (and it will - we've had previous polls of the sort) than identifying political party affiliation in a year when one of the parties is headed up by a buffoon and the other party hasn't figured out who's on first much less who's on top.
 
Do you read even your own posts? Your contention, was it not, was that these forums are left-leaning? My friend Sven The Socialist would give you some serious debate as to whether the Democratic Party is left-leaning.

It will do far better to prove your point (and it will - we've had previous polls of the sort) than identifying political party affiliation in a year when one of the parties is headed up by a buffoon and the other party hasn't figured out who's on first much less who's on top.

Having both polls gives more information. That can only be good. I wanted to compare here with the general publics vote was my intention with this thread.
 
Last edited:
I put Democrat, then realized I was thinking only of U.S. House/Senate races. At the state and local level I don't know yet.

You don't have to be liberal to want some kind of check on Trump's power. If there were more Republicans in Congress who would tell him to go piss up a rope, I might feel differently.
 
I read that the "independent" label isn't really representative of independence. Something over two thirds of all people who call themselves "independent" largely vote for one or the other party and rarely cross party lines.

Here's one source.
 
I read that the "independent" label isn't really representative of independence. Something over two thirds of all people who call themselves "independent" largely vote for one or the other party and rarely cross party lines.

Here's one source.

Smart polls go with X, leans X, Neutral, leans Y, Y. There are some states, after all, where people never have to register with a party (where parties aren't recognized, even). But, yes, if an "Independent" can say "I haven't voted for a (Rep/Dem) since the Truman/Dewey election", they're pretty much not independent at all but are a reliable vote for their party.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom