• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why Trump/Hitler Comparisons are Unfair

If the assumption turns out to be unfounded, who cares? It's just Trump, no rule of honesty, or decency applies.

So, the rule of not stooping to their level is dead? There is no higher ground?

Damned shame, really.

It would be unpatriotic to have a means of inflicting political damage on Trump and not use it, honest or not.

Wow, I find that quite breathtaking.

"Unpatriotic"! That's the kind of language I'd expect from the Second Amendment People.

If, as I presume, you're a Democrat, you're a very good example of what to do to harden to support Trump already has, and guaranteed to create more.

I bet you think De Niro screeching "**** Trump" is a good tactic, too.

Am I completely wrong and both sides are now Hitler?
 
Hitler raised the living standards temporarily by planning to invade and pillage all the other countries in Europe. he destroyed the civilian economy to fund and fuel the military.
He was no economic genius and performed no economic miracles, it was all a sham.
It could only work if the all that investment in the military started earning a good enough return to pay for itself and keep up with the times. Nothing gets out-of-date faster than military investment : the pressure to use it or forget it can be immense.
 
If you want to follow that line of thinking, we probably need a new thread, because the mere fact that Hitler was able to plunder so much money out of the German economy for weapons, while simultaneously rasing the living standard of all Germany, does mean he performed economic miracles.

He did it by plundering the rest of Europe. Where was the miracle?
 
So, the rule of not stooping to their level is dead? There is no higher ground?

Damned shame, really.



Wow, I find that quite breathtaking.

"Unpatriotic"! That's the kind of language I'd expect from the Second Amendment People.

If, as I presume, you're a Democrat, you're a very good example of what to do to harden to support Trump already has, and guaranteed to create more.

I bet you think De Niro screeching "**** Trump" is a good tactic, too.

Am I completely wrong and both sides are now Hitler?

I'm not a member of any political party. I've just seen what happens when they go low and you go high. You get a Russian whore in the Whitehouse. Who the hell cares about Trump's base? It's the independent voter that matters. Trump can't win with just his base. It's the better of two evils voter that matters.

I don't think just "**** Trump" is a good idea. I think Trump, photoshopped with a Nazi arm band, accepting the Nazi salute from supporters (as he did during the campaign) with a foreground dissolve of children being separated from their parents is a good idea. You have to offer enough facts and images for the message to stick.

Yes, this will turn off high minded Democratic voters. There are enough of what used to be called 527 organizations out there who can run a bare knuckles, no holds barred campaign while actual candidates stay above the fray. The Democratic base can maintain their high ideals while the formerly called 527s see just how far they can sink in the mud.
 
I'm not a member of any political party. I've just seen what happens when they go low and you go high. You get a Russian whore in the Whitehouse.

Utter nonsense.

Hillary never took the high ground, and she was im,ediately aware that her "deplorables" comment was a complete mistake.

Bernie might have been able to take the high ground, but Hillary - whose husband, you may recall, was William Jefferson Clinton - never had the opportunity or brains to take it.

Who the hell cares about Trump's base?

Anyone who opposes him should. They're the ones with all the guns, remember?

It's the independent voter that matters. Trump can't win with just his base. It's the better of two evils voter that matters.

Given his current approval rating being the same as both Clinton and Obama at the same stage of his presidency, I think he seems to be going fine with independents and swinging voters.

I don't think just "**** Trump" is a good idea. I think Trump, photoshopped with a Nazi arm band, accepting the Nazi salute from supporters (as he did during the campaign) with a foreground dissolve of children being separated from their parents is a good idea. You have to offer enough facts and images for the message to stick.

All I can say is go back to page 1 - Nazi comparisons are the worst possible choice.

And it really is unfair to Adolph - one of the things I meant to put at the start was public speaking. Trump is a buffoon, while Hitler was mesmerising and didn't need to rely on three-word chants.
 
Stepping back from the exact example, I think as tribalism becomes more ingrained falling in love with a single point of comparison and leaning on it to the detriment of the overall political discussion.

Whether or not "Trump is like Hitler" is so tied into tribalism as to make it both impossible and pointless to argue with anyone who doesn't already agree with you so the question is moot.
 
I think Mussolini is a much better comparasion.
Mussolini and Trump are of a much more common type than stand-outs like Hitler.


Mussolini is known as the founder of fascism, but anyone who thinks they'll determine what fascism means from Mussolini's words will be disappointed. Mussolini spends a lot of time on what fascism isn't, his thing being special because it's his. There's no substance, simply posturing and rhetoric. Just like Trump.
 
Way too simplified in the first sentence, ,but correct in that Hitler's economic recovery was smoke and mirrors.finianced by what amounted to junk bonds. In fact, the Nazi economy was beginning to unravel in early 1939.
See a excellent book on the economic history of the Third Reich called "The Wages of Destruction" for details.
:thumbsup:
 
Stepping back from the exact example, I think as tribalism becomes more ingrained falling in love with a single point of comparison and leaning on it to the detriment of the overall political discussion.

Whether or not "Trump is like Hitler" is so tied into tribalism as to make it both impossible and pointless to argue with anyone who doesn't already agree with you so the question is moot.

Well, if you're right, USA is going to become the new Africa.

Canada is the place that should be building a wall.
 
This thread is pathetic. So I'm going to make this post the best post in the thread. Ready?

Say what you will about Hitler, but at least he killed Hitler.

You can all go home now.
 
I've long maintained that those who compare any politician to Hitler are not attempting to overstate the evil of the politician, or to understate the evil of Hitler. They are trying to puff up their own bravery in standing up to (Trump/Obama/Bush) as the modern day equivalent of the Society of the White Rose. It's pretty pathetic.
 
We're allowed to point out when current events parallel those of history, but only when that history isn't of late 1930's Germany?
 
Trump/Hitler comparisons are , of course, complete nonsense. Hitler was a career politician dedicated to an ideology (National Socialism) and an established party structure (the NSDAP) to promote it. The closest Trump ever got to ideology was "Make America Great Again", and the GOP is no substitute for a real political party.
 
I'm not a member of any political party. I've just seen what happens when they go low and you go high. You get a Russian whore in the Whitehouse. Who the hell cares about Trump's base? It's the independent voter that matters. Trump can't win with just his base. It's the better of two evils voter that matters.

I don't think just "**** Trump" is a good idea. I think Trump, photoshopped with a Nazi arm band, accepting the Nazi salute from supporters (as he did during the campaign) with a foreground dissolve of children being separated from their parents is a good idea. You have to offer enough facts and images for the message to stick.

Yes, this will turn off high minded Democratic voters. There are enough of what used to be called 527 organizations out there who can run a bare knuckles, no holds barred campaign while actual candidates stay above the fray. The Democratic base can maintain their high ideals while the formerly called 527s see just how far they can sink in the mud.

Yep.

The Trumpists aren't going to play nice, and this is the future of the USA we're talking about here. Roll up your sleeves and fight dirty, or you'll have a one-party Trumpist country in a couple of years.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom