• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Another WA Gun Initiative.

Boy are the leftists going to be surprised when they find out we are not going to be giving up our guns. The Constitution is very clear, and is on our side.

I have come to the conclusion that Americans simply have no idea of how the rest of the developed world views them.

Do you live in the Wild West ?
 
So, will the draft age be raised to 21 to support the silly notion that the primary age group that has fought most of our wars can't be trusted with guns? Oh, and banning firearms that can be effectively used in a militia is most certainly Unconstitutional.


I' have previously been informed that a US soldier does not have the same liberties with his weapon that a US civilian does.

I don't believe there's really any reasonable parallel at all between civilian and military firearm ownership in the US. It is useless to use one as a point of reverence for the other. Well, unless you're proposing that civilians meet the same standards expected of infantrymen with regard to weapon discipline and firearm safety.
 
I have come to the conclusion that Americans simply have no idea of how the rest of the developed world views them.


The bolded is a very wide group to encompass. I think your brush is far too large here.


There are some Americans for whom 'keeping access to firearms' = Win and 'losing access to firearms' = Lose, and that's the sum total of their thinking. It was good enough in eighteen-whatever, it's good enough now.

I think by far the majority of Americans are much, much clearer thinkers than that.
 
The bolded is a very wide group to encompass. I think your brush is far too large here.


There are some Americans for whom 'keeping access to firearms' = Win and 'losing access to firearms' = Lose, and that's the sum total of their thinking. It was good enough in eighteen-whatever, it's good enough now.

I think by far the majority of Americans are much, much clearer thinkers than that.

I do hope so, sadly we just seem to be hearing more and more of the nutters.
It just astounds me.

I apologise to any Americans here I may have offended, that wasn't my intent :)
 
I do hope so, sadly we just seem to be hearing more and more of the nutters.

Nutters shout loudest. It is in the nature of nutters. It has been pointed out that this debate is simply the fringe nutters on one side shouting at the fringe nutters on the other side. All each side ever really sees is the nutters, all nuance is lost in favour of volume.

I suspect this issue may not be helped by the, extremely weird 'winning isn't everything, it's the only thing' meme that runs through some of US society. Once you start applying that philosophy to life, rather than sport, then there's no such thing as compromise and it's impossible to achieve anything.


It just astounds me.

I apologise to any Americans here I may have offended, that wasn't my intent :)


:)
 
I have come to the conclusion that Americans simply have no idea of how the rest of the developed world views them.

Do you live in the Wild West ?

That is patently ridiculous, the wild west had far stricter gun laws than they would tolerate. No open carry? Crazy despotic times man.
 
I have come to the conclusion that Americans simply have no idea of how the rest of the developed world views them.

Do you live in the Wild West ?

Indeed. The idea that people who are too young to be trusted with a can of beer should be allowed unfettered access to semi-automatics is peculiarly American, and the reaction abroad is a mixture of bemusement, contempt, bewilderment, and sad resignation. However did a society get this twisted up?
 
I have come to the conclusion that Americans simply have no idea of how the rest of the developed world views them.

Do you live in the Wild West ?
From what I can tell, the rest of the developed world has at least a mildly inaccurate and sometimes wildly bigoted view of America. Combined with the attitude that broadcasting their disdain will somehow shame America into conforming to a particular notion of propriety.
 
From what I can tell, the rest of the developed world has at least a mildly inaccurate and sometimes wildly bigoted view of America. Combined with the attitude that broadcasting their disdain will somehow shame America into conforming to a particular notion of propriety.

Yes, it's ludicrous to try and impose the fundamental values of one culture and society onto another.
 
So, will the draft age be raised to 21 to support the silly notion that the primary age group that has fought most of our wars can't be trusted with guns?
I doubt it.

Oh, and banning firearms that can be effectively used in a militia is most certainly Unconstitutional.
Can you point out where this is a part of the initiative?
 
So, will the draft age be raised to 21 to support the silly notion that the primary age group that has fought most of our wars can't be trusted with guns?

You do know that in the military guns are very tightly controlled and it isn't even remotely analogous to the kind of concealed and open carry of such weapons that everyone is in favor of?

How about we use more military rules about when you can and can not carry a weapon and then on top of that when you have access to ammo. That would really put an end to this concealed carry BS.
 
I do hope so, sadly we just seem to be hearing more and more of the nutters.
It just astounds me.
You are surprised that anyone who doesn't like a certain proposal will speak out against it? Why should it surprise you that some people don't think the way you do and make sure you know it? Your argument reminds of the people (like some of the GOP) who were shocked that gays had an agenda.
 
Last edited:
Indeed. The idea that people who are too young to be trusted with a can of beer should be allowed unfettered access to semi-automatics is peculiarly American, and the reaction abroad is a mixture of bemusement, contempt, bewilderment, and sad resignation. However did a society get this twisted up?
I think your definition of unfettered leaves something to be desired. There are restrictions associated with gun possession no matter who you are in the USA.
 
But less restriction on buying a semi-automatic than on buying a can of beer.......if you are under 21. How about a little perspective.
 
You are surprised that anyone who doesn't like a certain proposal will speak out against it?.......

No, that's not the issue. The issue that there is a mindset which says that ANY proposal, any proposal at all, on the subject of access to guns, is wrong, per se. That level of stupidity is what the rest of us simply can't fathom.
 
No, that's not the issue. The issue that there is a mindset which says that ANY proposal, any proposal at all, on the subject of access to guns, is wrong, per se. That level of stupidity is what the rest of us simply can't fathom.
Given everything else that happens in the world, it is the stupid gun politics you can't fathom?

Any proposal?

In the last several years WA reduced restrictions on access to certain kinds of guns. I heard few complaints from any side about the issue. When the Obama administration eased restrictions on access to machine guns and silencers in the USA, there was very little opposition as well.
 
But less restriction on buying a semi-automatic than on buying a can of beer.......if you are under 21. How about a little perspective.
Perspective is something you should provide. Compare teen alcohol related deaths to teen semi-auto rifle related deaths.
 
You see, that's why you lot have the reputation you have. To equate the two is ridiculous. Nowhere else in the industrialised world thinks 18, 19, 20 year olds can't be trusted to buy a beer, but can be trusted with a semi-automatic. You, America, are the outlier. It isn't up to the rest of us to explain anything.
 
Last edited:
Given everything else that happens in the world...........

Irrelevant.


it is the stupid American gun politics you can't fathom?......

FTFY.

Correct. It is like a mass hysteria. An emotion-driven mass madness. I can't fathom why otherwise perfectly sensible people become swivel-eyed loons over the subject of their rights to own weaponry.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom