• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts

I'm just chiming in to say that we have to assume your actual point is that you support rape. Or something. I've really lost may ability to make these leaps of logic.

Not at all

Most of them weren't rapes

Just him wanting to be nude boy in front of them
 
I'm confused. Surely the popcorn and biscuits are made by the kids? Isn't that the whole purpose of selling it, teaching the kids and so on? When did commercial companies get involved and when did it become primarily a commercial operation?
There are entire industries built around fund raising. From Schools, to the Boy Scouts, to Police Associations. There are candy, cookie, candle, gift wrap, and many other sales all the time. The group gets a minuscule cut out of the sales.

Many groups that can't sell directly to the public, like Police Benevolent organizations ( you can't have police call because it would be intimidating) hire out fund raisers. My experience telemarketing was in that field. I cold called people for donations. After my second call to an old lady, I stopped calling. The fundraising group kept 95% of all money raised. After all was said and done, the PBA got 2000 dollars. The fundraiser got 40,000.
 
There are entire industries built around fund raising. From Schools, to the Boy Scouts, to Police Associations. There are candy, cookie, candle, gift wrap, and many other sales all the time. The group gets a minuscule cut out of the sales.

Many groups that can't sell directly to the public, like Police Benevolent organizations ( you can't have police call because it would be intimidating) hire out fund raisers. My experience telemarketing was in that field. I cold called people for donations. After my second call to an old lady, I stopped calling. The fundraising group kept 95% of all money raised. After all was said and done, the PBA got 2000 dollars. The fundraiser got 40,000.

I never knew that about the PBA. I always wondered why they exclusively used professional fundraisers.


There's nothing like being on the inside of a fundraising drive to turn you off of fundraising drives. When I was younger, I worked on a few political campaigns. After one hour on the phones, I refused to do phones. Only very old people would even talk to us. I almost got one donation, but I hung up. I couldn't do it.
 
I never knew that about the PBA. I always wondered why they exclusively used professional fundraisers.

Professional fundraising companies are a kind of moral grey area for me.

The raise money for a good cause, but keep most of it for profit. Yet, the money the good group does get is often more than they would have obtained without the help.

Suppose you run a charity. You can do a fund-raiser in house, spend $1000 on it, and earn $6000 - you get $5000 out of it, and your staff are worn out and tired from the effort.

Then a fundraising company comes along. They guarantee you $10,000 if you let them run the next fundraiser. They raise much, much more than you could have, maybe $250,000, and you get maybe $10,000 or $15,000 of that - double or triple what you could have gotten without them. You can put the money to good use, helping people who need it.

Was it worth it?
 
Professional fundraising companies are a kind of moral grey area for me.

The raise money for a good cause, but keep most of it for profit. Yet, the money the good group does get is often more than they would have obtained without the help.

Suppose you run a charity. You can do a fund-raiser in house, spend $1000 on it, and earn $6000 - you get $5000 out of it, and your staff are worn out and tired from the effort.

Then a fundraising company comes along. They guarantee you $10,000 if you let them run the next fundraiser. They raise much, much more than you could have, maybe $250,000, and you get maybe $10,000 or $15,000 of that - double or triple what you could have gotten without them. You can put the money to good use, helping people who need it.

Was it worth it?
To whom? While the charitable organization does better, the people giving up their money are likely to feel cheated if they're not told up front that only a tiny percentage of their money is going to the charity. It's bad enough that many large charities end up spending huge percentages of their money on "administration." There should be required disclosures when 20% or more of donated money (including "sales" situations) goes to a third party.
 
I apologise

I thought you meant by "quits treating human bodies as verboten", as that you look forward to the day no one cared about the naked human body on display

I was obviously wrong

You mean something totally different

Do you mind clarifying?


Clearly, you can't separate nudity from sexuality. Your attitude is exactly the attitude that others are looking forward to being extinct.
 
Clearly, you can't separate nudity from sexuality. Your attitude is exactly the attitude that others are looking forward to being extinct.
Right

So you look forward to the day the world walks round naked with no sexual thoughts coming from this. I suppose it works on the odd beach.

Good luck with that



Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
 
Right

So you look forward to the day the world walks round naked with no sexual thoughts coming from this. I suppose it works on the odd beach.

Good luck with that



Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Remember we are supposed to pretend that sexual thoughts don't come to mind when viewing a naked body.

Now I know there are times when it is possible to seperate nudity from sex. Like during a doctor exam.

I'm actually ok with girls being part of the boy scouts. I just don't want to hear any of the girl's parents crying when some boys catch a glimpse of their daughter naked or the girl sees a naked boy. It's bound to happen and I bet those boys will be thinking about sex. Maybe the girl will be too. I know that's what I think about a vast majority of the time when I see a naked female (oops, there's that sexiest term again :rolleyes:) and that's the way it should be.:)
 
Last edited:
Church camps, of course, have been co-ed forever. AFIK. Certainly I attended a co-ed one in the 1960's. Somehow that wasn't a problem.
Lol

From the ones I have heard about they aren't exactly as pure as people like to think

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
 
Clearly, you can't separate nudity from sexuality. Your attitude is exactly the attitude that others are looking forward to being extinct.

On a personal level I don't entirely disagree with you. However, in the context of a large group there's going to be a wide range of attitudes about modesty. It seems reasonable that the scouts would change rules and make facilities changes to accommodate a baseline of privacy.
 
I was a boy scout, and I am totally against allowing girls in. They can make their own organization if they want both genders in it. Allowing girls in would totally change the atmosphere. The boys would be flirting with the girls instead of doing scouting things, and they would make everything easier so that the girls could do it.
 
BSA already has two divisions that are co-ed, Venture Scouting and Explorer Scouting, and they've been that way for years. If the organization wants to make all of Boy Scouting co-ed, I say let them do it. I don't think they will ever need to modify merit badge qualifications, either, I can't imagine the girls would want that to happen.
 
https://www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx

I perused the list of badges. I'm kind of at a loss as to what qualifications they would need to change. I don't recall any badges that required anything too physically demanding but I'm no expert on merit badges. My career as a scout wasn't that impressive.
 
Last edited:
I was a boy scout, and I am totally against allowing girls in. They can make their own organization if they want both genders in it. Allowing girls in would totally change the atmosphere. The boys would be flirting with the girls instead of doing scouting things, and they would make everything easier so that the girls could do it.

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with how much in this post is just amazingly insulting to women.
 
Clearly, you can't separate nudity from sexuality. Your attitude is exactly the attitude that others are looking forward to being extinct.

So you look forward to the day the world walks round naked with no sexual thoughts coming from this. I suppose it works on the odd beach.

Good luck with that


Funny how many other cultures manage to do so. Is there something about white people that make it impossible for them to do so? Some sort of genetic brain defect?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom