sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Feb 24, 2014
- Messages
- 10,017
I didn't realize you knew my parents, their friends, and their many contempories who partipitated in the civil rights movement! Those are who I spoke of. And of how these people planted the beginnings of the movement for justice that followed. I have an obligation that requires me to leave right now, but you have painted an entire generation with a broad brush, a disparaging brush, while failing to recognize the bright and noble within it. I never claimed they were all magically wonderful, as I will explain more when I can, but what a dim and negative view of a generation of people who made your life, and my life, and that of our own children, as free and as rich as it is.
Your argument was an anecdotal one based on your own parents and their circle of friends? I don't believe you, but either way, your argument is lame.
As for your insinuation that I am ungrateful, I wonder how much we really need to venerate prior generations. I think it is universal across all cultures that elders should be treated with respect. I'm not sure why, but I can guess at a couple of reasons that make sense from the perspective of evolution (one of which is that elders tended to have more wisdom, and, once civilization began, wealth). In any case, though, elders are to be treated with respect when they're still human beings. Not after they're dead.
To the extent that standards of living have continued to improve with each passing generation, we all have benefited from those who have come before. And those who come after us will have benefited from our collective work (assuming we haven't destroyed the planet in a nuclear war, or been subjugated by a backwards political ideology). Still, I don't see any reason that a generation would owe gratitude or respect towards a previous generation.
As for the specific generation that fought fascism, it was also the same generation that allowed fascism to rise unchecked for the most part (as well as Communism). If one were to do a cosmic calculation, it would at best be a wash. My view is that it's actually a negative contribution relative to the trajectory the world would have been on had that generation more quickly embraced capitalism and quashed collectivism. Surely out of the 30 million souls that Stalin killed, and the 50 million that Hitler and Tojo bear the lion's share of responsibility for, and the 60 million that Mao destroyed, there were quite a few geniuses that might have advanced human progress a little faster.
Last edited: