In one fell swoop, Trump totally contradicted his three top spokespeople and offered a polar-opposite version of events than they had provided.
After they had spent the past 45 hours emphasizing that this was a decision Trump arrived at after receiving a memo and recommendation from Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, Trump just blurted out that he was going to fire Comey all along. Basically, he admitted the memo was a ruse and a political ploy.
HOLT: Did you ask for a recommendation?
TRUMP: What I did is, I was going to fire Comey. My decision. It was not . . .
HOLT: You had made the decision before they came in the room.
TRUMP: I was going to fire Comey. There's no good time to do it, by the way.
HOLT: Because in your letter, you said, 'I accepted their recommendation.' So you had already made the decision.
TRUMP: Oh, I was going to fire regardless of recommendation.
. . .
"It was all him," Spicer said of Rosenstein, as a reporter repeated his answer back to him. "That's correct - I mean, I can't, I guess I shouldn't say that, thank you for the help on that one. No one from the White House. That was a DOJ decision."
And here's deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday morning in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe":
. . .
SANDERS: Look, I think when you receive a report that is so clear and a recommendation by someone like the deputy attorney general, you have no choice but to act.
. . .
And here's White House counselor Kellyanne Conway in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday night:
CONWAY: This man is the president of the United States. He acted decisively today. He took the recommendation of his deputy attorney general, who oversees the FBI director.