• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
I agree. Trump won't get the benefit of doubt on this by the press - excluding FOX news who will probably air puppy vids and rainbows. I truly hope this is the thing that we've been waiting for, that snowballs into impeachment. I don't dare to believe too much just yet, but it's looking promising.
Fox is currently going with the Trump talking points memo: they've been investigating for a year, they haven't found anything (again not true), it's time to move on.
 
I thought that a GOP majority was "baked in" to the House of Representatives due to Gerrymandering. I thought that there was some hope for the Senate but because the Democratic Party was defending so many more seats, and the GOP seats were pretty safe, then there was little opportunity for Democratic Party gains there either.

Trump may be unpopular but people will still vote GOP regardless.

I doubt it. That would require a complexity of thought beyond "other party = bad" which I don't see very much these days (in the US or indeed here).
The GOP control of the House is baked into the gerrymandering but like a lot of GOP election victories, some of the margins are not large.
 
This will still require a significant swing to the Democratic Party and as the Vox article points out, staunch GOP voters are the ones most likely to turn out for midterms. It's not impossible for the Democratic Party to control the House, for sure, but I think it's still unlikely and of course the GOP will control the Senate and have the President and SCOTUS locked down and so have 2 1/2 of the three branches locked down.
That's the key. When people are outraged they are also more likely to show up to vote. The outrage against Trump is growing by the day.
 
So is there a good piece on why this is wrong? I'm having trouble understanding a reason. I don't mean disagree with it. I definitely think this was a bad decision and it is an example of the garbage why I hate the guy. But there seems to be attacks that this is a fundamental violation of the office.

Presidents are elected to exercise the power of the executive branch. Trump did so. What is the problem?

ETA: Yes, I know this is a weird question. I want to be able to pass the ideological turing test and I know I can't on this issue.
 
That's the key. When people are outraged they are also more likely to show up to vote. The outrage against Trump is growing by the day.

Is it though ?

I realise that on this board there is a great deal of (IMO righteous) outrage against President Trump but then again that's amongst politically engaged people who would never have supported the man in the first place.

IMO the vast majority of the US electorate are far too busy living their lives to get particularly interested in the behaviour of this, or any other, President - much less to get outraged. Maybe just before the 2018 midterms, the politically ambivalent may start to take notice but even then it may only be on a superficial level.

IMO a significant majority of people in the US don't feel outraged either because they actually think President Trump is doing a good job (80+% of GOP supporters and 40% of independents) or because it's not that important to them on a day to day basis.
 
Clear case of the Right not understanding the center/left: I thought it was only liberals who can't understand conservatives....
 
Is it though ?

I realise that on this board there is a great deal of (IMO righteous) outrage against President Trump but then again that's amongst politically engaged people who would never have supported the man in the first place.

IMO the vast majority of the US electorate are far too busy living their lives to get particularly interested in the behaviour of this, or any other, President - much less to get outraged. Maybe just before the 2018 midterms, the politically ambivalent may start to take notice but even then it may only be on a superficial level.

IMO a significant majority of people in the US don't feel outraged either because they actually think President Trump is doing a good job (80+% of GOP supporters and 40% of independents) or because it's not that important to them on a day to day basis.

I don't know about outrage, but his approval ratings have dropped....farther.
 
So is there a good piece on why this is wrong? I'm having trouble understanding a reason. I don't mean disagree with it. I definitely think this was a bad decision and it is an example of the garbage why I hate the guy. But there seems to be attacks that this is a fundamental violation of the office.

Presidents are elected to exercise the power of the executive branch. Trump did so. What is the problem?

ETA: Yes, I know this is a weird question. I want to be able to pass the ideological turing test and I know I can't on this issue.

Answer me this before I even start: do you recognize that an action can be troubling/suspicious/morally suspect even if it is technically legal?

If the answer is no, this will be yet another issue you will either never understand or pretend not to.
 
As I said above, the theory is that they wanted Comey out of the office so they could get immediate and unsupervised access to his computer and files.

Senator Harris just asked McCabe, 'who was in charge of securing Comey's files when he was fired given Comey was out of the office in CA?' McCabe assured her Comey's files were secured by the FBI when Comey was fired.

But your theory is interesting. My concern it that when Trump appoints a replacement, that director will leak whatever Trump wants to Trump. This is where the confirmation hearing will matter but given Sessions got through, I am hopeful but not confident.
 
Last edited:
Answer me this before I even start: do you recognize that an action can be troubling/suspicious/morally suspect even if it is technically legal?

If the answer is no, this will be yet another issue you will either never understand or pretend not to.

I don't need to have an opinion on that to pass an ideological turing test. The whole point of it is people different philosophies. Me arguing my philosophy is more right than yours is independent of my desire to want to accurately describe other's views on this issues.

If you still want an answer to that question for your own ideological turing test, then I will gladly provide one.
 
The rumors are that he STILL wants Flynn back, and the White House Counsel is STILL trying to convince him that he needs to stay away from the guy.

He doesn't believe that Flynn has done anything wrong. Ties to Russia? Not a problem. Unregistered foreign agent? Still not a problem.
When Flynn was canned, Trump blamed the media. When Comey was canned, it was due to "atrocities" he committed. Curious.
 
I don't need to have an opinion on that to pass an ideological turing test. The whole point of it is people different philosophies. Me arguing my philosophy is more right than yours is independent of my desire to want to accurately describe other's views on this issues.

If you still want an answer to that question for your own ideological turing test, then I will gladly provide one.

Ah, so you weren't asking a question, you were very sleazily trying to make a (very silly) point. JAQing off, as it were.

Yep. I'll sit this one out.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom