Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
Trump's letter was too thinly disguised to be credible. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
And in this case the technically correct interpretation of that quote applies:
He couldn't even leave out the, "While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation." It's obvious he is being investigated. There have, just in the last few days, been calls from the Senate to investigate Trump's financial connections to Russia.
Blaming it on Clinton issues and thinking the Democrats would cheer is the epitome of stupidity.
Thinking about this, regardless of whether the firing was justified or not, Trump has created a new problem for himself: A new FBI Director will have to be confirmed by the Senate, and while Republicans can probably push someone through like they did with DeVos, it's not totally clear that it will be that easy this time. Democrats may demand a special prosecutor as the price for confirming his pick. I think they can only afford to lose no more than 2 Republican senators. DeVos just barely squeaked through.
Would somebody who looks like a Trump toady (Christie or Giuliani) be able to make it through?
The senate can really only do one thing at a time, so by firing Comey he is spending "political capital" because while the senate is debating whether to confirm the new pick, they aren't working on other things, like the tax reform/cut or Obamacare replacement. He cost himself some days at least, possibly weeks of delay for other things on his agenda.
If it's a self-inflicted wound to passing his own agenda (which I oppose) I'll take it. If his goal was to quash the Russia investigation or get it off the front pages, that too will fail.
One other possibility I considered is that the Rosenstein memo was sincere, even if Trump himself was not and merely used it as a convenient pretext (until this point he was seen as an honest broker, confirmed with 94 votes in the Senate iirc).