• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
His problem is, to FTFY a statement made by one of Donnie's Manhattan boosters (Mike Francesa of WFAN sports radio):


Reagan read the briefing books. Donnie can't be bothered. :(
There is little evidence he can read. Especially without his glasses!
 
Trump didn't need to know anything about policy. He was going to appoint all of the best experts as advisors. Unfortunately, "best" meant "made the biggest contributions" or "was owed favors".
That's rather unfair, there is a third group.... People he wants to owe him a favour in the future!
 
I am not pro pork. However, there are programs that DoD personnel and contractor use to report abuses and waste, but what I am saying is that without proper equipment, safety gear and spare parts, don't expect anything to get done. There are also benefits to be gained for DoD civilians, DoD contractors and military personnel who can save the government money and I am one of the recipients of such a program.

I might add that high-tech research is not cheap, but it has paid off in the past, the present and will in the future. Case in point:


ONE BOMB KILLS 40 TANKS US Air Force CBU 105 cluster bomb new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RtNvyemGx0


US Navy To Go Full Star Trek With New Laser Weapons

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/25/us-navy-to-go-full-star-trek-with-new-laser-weapons/

Now if only we were at war with people who have 40 tanks.

I know we need to spend more on the military than the rest of the planet combined, and then it will still not be enough.

And how do you know that the budget increases will do anything to get needed supplies to the people who don't have them and instead be big ticket items to fight theoretical enemies instead of giving our troops the tools they need to fight the enemies we are currently fighting?
 
Last edited:
I don't know if this would be more appropriate in the US/Canada Trade War thread, but it turns out that members of the White House staff had to call a foreign power in to stop Trump from doing something stupid.

White House staff called the Prime Minister’s Office last month to urge Justin Trudeau to persuade President Donald Trump not to tear up the North American Free Trade Agreement, according to multiple Canadian government sources.

The unconventional diplomatic manoeuvre — approaching the head of a foreign government to influence your own boss — proved decisive, as Trump thereafter abandoned his threat to pull out of NAFTA unilaterally, citing the arguments made by Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto as pivotal.


I guess he found some intelligent people for his staff after all.
 
I don't know if this would be more appropriate in the US/Canada Trade War thread, but it turns out that members of the White House staff had to call a foreign power in to stop Trump from doing something stupid.




I guess he found some intelligent people for his staff after all.


I thought he wasn't going to outsource.
You know, all that "hire American, buy American". :rolleyes:

:D
 
Trump has the right to nominate judges, though of course McConnell's partisanship is to blame for why there are so many vacancies. The Senate dragged their feet in the last year of Obama's presidency, purposely failing to have votes on many of his nominees in the hopes that they would win the presidency.

It worked. It was a dirty tactic in my book, but it worked. As a result, Trump will leave quite a mark on the judiciary.

(I believe I heard about this tactic on Morning Edition or All Things Considered, but am not certain.)
 
I personally think if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Antonin Scalias, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

But I also feel if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Ruth Baden Ginsbergs, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

What some fail to see it's the balance that makes it work. It's a pendulum that swings left and right, indirectly pushed by the will of the electorate. Unbridled in either direction is not a desireable end state.
 
Not sure about your fix.

A broad swath of America prefers right-leaning judicial appointments - it was a major selling point of Trump's campaign.

Exactly they want to be able to lose their jobs if they will not die for their employer. It's called loyalty people.
 
I personally think if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Antonin Scalias, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

But I also feel if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Ruth Baden Ginsbergs, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

If _anyone_ were cloned and nominated like this, it would lead to such a future.

What some fail to see it's the balance that makes it work. It's a pendulum that swings left and right, indirectly pushed by the will of the electorate. Unbridled in either direction is not a desireable end state.

The pendulum isn't the solution. It's the moderation; the compromise.
 
If _anyone_ were cloned and nominated like this, it would lead to such a future.



The pendulum isn't the solution. It's the moderation; the compromise.

Exactly the constant shifting rightward and removal of the hellish socialist government of the 1950's. When they are talking about america being great they really mean before Teddy Roosevelt.
 
That's what you think I meant when I said "moderation and compromise"?

That is what it means for the past 40 years in the US. That is why we are finally getting to levels of wealth inequality that the right wing really wants, as shown by their policies.
 
I see, so it had nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Good to know.

It was about what the nature of compromise for the past 40 years has been in the US. Shifting to the right. I mean no matter how Reagan is viewed as a saint by the right wing, in his politics he would now be a pure RINO, if not an outright democrat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom