The Shrike
Philosopher
I'm not sure Biden would've gotten the nod, but I do know plenty of blue dog Democrats who really like him but with every fiber of their being detest Hillary Clinton.
Not sure why you're so sure of that. After all, Trump lost the popular vote, and only won because of the allocation of electoral votes. His victory was tenuous, and a hypothetical Biden candidacy wouldn't have to improve much on Hillary's totals to tip the election in his favor. (Something that might have happened if the republican side couldn't shout "E-mail" every 30 seconds.)Most certainly.
Actually, the American electorate isn't quite as dissatisfied with Obama as you might think. Current polling data has Obama's approval rating at 53% (and only 42% disapproval). On individual issues, most voters also approve of Obama's handling of the economy, while foreign policy approval is a pretty much evenly split.Well, yes. That is one extremely viable way for Trump to defeat Biden. The dissatisfaction of the American electorate with the Obama administration is palpable.He does have stronger ties to Obama (and thus the republicans might label him as "Obama Jr." and suggest" Obama is a failure so Biden will be a failure".)
And as I pointed out, those strategies would likely be far less effective on Biden than they were on Clinton, given the short duration that they would have existed.One need not add extra strategies like scandals and smears to defeat Biden. Those strategies could have been kept in reserve an pulled out on an as needed, emergency basis only.
Not really sure how seriously we can assume your post was, given these 2 names on your list.It's too late to pick a better candidate for 2016. But for the upcoming 2020 election, the Democrats have a strong bench to draw from. Here is their current all star lineup -- anyone of them would be an improvement over Hillary:
...
Anthony Weiner
Chelsea Clinton
...
I suspect all parties will have potential candidates that look old or somehow faulty long before the election date. (Heck, look at the Republican primaries... the winner was a barely trained orangutan and the second place finisher was Cruz, a man who it was once said could be murdered on the floor of the senate and they wouldn't be able to find any witnesses.)That is a pretty sad commentary on the state of the Democrats right now. Pelosi, Reid and Waters will all be 80+ in 2020. Biden looks like a youngster compared to them, but he will be 77, while Gore will be 72. Even Warren will be on the north side of 70.
Keep in mind that while Hillary was sitting out and waiting "her turn" to be president, she:<snip>
Anyway...part of the problem is the (alleged) setting up of Hillary since 2008.
This is a problem both parties have run into, "my turn" politics. The idea that someone gets to run for president just because they have been a notable presence in the party for a certain amount of time.
Bill Clinton came out of left field in 1992. Funny how the Democrats forgot all about that.
Most certainly.
Well, yes. That is one extremely viable way for Trump to defeat Biden. The dissatisfaction of the American electorate with the Obama administration is palpable.
....
You can't be sure it would have been Biden.
Not sure why you're so sure of that.
So being tied to a president with an approval rating of 53-42% in favor would be an OK starting point.
After all, Trump lost the popular vote, and only won because of the allocation of electoral votes.
It amuses me to hear people complain about the premiums for their Obamacare insurance when they previously couldn't buy any health insurance at any price due to pre-existing conditions.
Based on the assumptions of the opening post, are you saying that if Hillary had not run, Sanders would have secured the nomination? I don't think so.I'd have gone for just about anyone over Trump, being a dyed-in-the-hide blue dog Democrat, and I do not despise Hillary. But I kind of liked Bernie, and I'd have enjoyed seeing him go up against Trump.
I can't imagine there are many people in this category who would switch their vote to Trump. I think you are making it up.
Maybe not, but he said he wanted the nomination, ran for the nomination, and nobody else but Hillary did. Who knows what might have happened if what happened didn't happen?Based on the assumptions of the opening post, are you saying that if Hillary had not run, Sanders would have secured the nomination? I don't think so.
I can answer that question. Please refer to my previous posts in this thread.Maybe not, but he said he wanted the nomination, ran for the nomination, and nobody else but Hillary did. Who knows what might have happened if what happened didn't happen?
I really don't understand this perception of her. Could you elaborate?
I am not a political wonk, but it was clear to me that the Dems would be running Hillary after 2008 and 2012. As much as people dislike the phrase, it WAS her turn.
....