• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Bob Dylan awarded Nobel prize for Literature

Mmmhhhaa. Neither one floats my boat TBF.

But then I am probably just a shallow, ignorant person who just doesn't "get it"

There's no need for self-pity. If you are interested in the thread on who won the Nobel Prize for literature and have strong opinions on who should then don't simply disparage others for not being shallow. It's pretty clear that the Prize is likely to have been awarded only after rather deep rumination.
 
There's no need for self-pity. If you are interested in the thread on who won the Nobel Prize for literature and have strong opinions on who should then don't simply disparage others for not being shallow. It's pretty clear that the Prize is likely to have been awarded only after rather deep rumination.
If they have to pick a song writer. Paul Simon and Garfunkle were better.

I'd even throw in David Bowie
 
Paul Simon - the boxer

I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home
And my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station
Running scared
Laying low
Seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places
Only they would know

Lie-la-lie...

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores
On Seventh Avenue
I do declare
There were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there

Lie-la-lie...

Now the years are rolling by me
They are rockin' evenly
I am older than I once was
And younger than I'll be
But that's not unusual
No it isn't strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes
We are more or less the same

Lie-la-lie...

Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters
Aren't bleeding me
Leading me
Going home

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Lie-la-lie...
 
Purely my opinion. But he just doesnt stand out in the music worlds lyricists.

Song for Sid Barrett by the rest of Pink Floyd



Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
 
There is nothing wrong with a poet also being a songwriter.
There is nothing wrong with a poet winning the Nobel for Literature.

Dylan's lyrics have been influential and have had impact on the literary tradition of songwriting like none other. One metric would be the trivia facct that no artist has been covered more often than Dylan - and I daresay it's not because his music is so much better beyond every other composer's. Artists cover Dylan mostly because of the lyrics.

Having said that, I won't offer an opinion on how the quality and importance of his lyrics rank absolutely or relative to other, non-songing poets, as I am not much of a lyrics-appreciator.

I am not much surprised of the choice, and I approve.

A while ago, but I endorse this post. Well said.
 
Purely my opinion. But he just doesnt stand out in the music worlds lyricists.

Song for Sid Barrett by the rest of Pink Floyd

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.........

There's hope for you yet.

(I always thought it was "tried for the moon").
 
I'd throw in Dolly Parton

Back through the years
I go wanderin' once again
Back to the seasons of my youth
I recall a box of rags that someone gave us
And how my momma put the rags to use
There were rags of many colors
Every piece was small
And I didn't have a coat
And it was way down in the fall
Momma sewed the rags together
Sewin' every piece with love
She made my coat of many colors
That I was so proud of
As she sewed, she told a story
From the bible, she had read
About a coat of many colors
Joseph wore and then she said
I hope this coat will bring you
Good luck and happiness
And I just couldn't wait to wear it
And momma blessed it with a kiss

My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made only from rags
But I wore it so proudly
Although we had no money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

So with patches on my britches
And holes in both my shoes
In my coat of many colors
I hurried off to school
Just to find the others laughing
And making fun of me
And my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

And oh I couldn't understand it
For I felt I was rich
And I told them of the love
My momma sewed in every stitch
And I told 'em all the story
Momma told me while she sewed
And how my coat of many colors
Was worth more than all their clothes

But they didn't understand it
And I tried to make them see
That one is only poor
Only if they choose to be
Now I know we had no money
But I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
Made just for me
 
I'd throw in Dolly Parton

Back through the years
I go wanderin' once again
Back to the seasons of my youth
I recall a box of rags that someone gave us
And how my momma put the rags to use
There were rags of many colors
Every piece was small
And I didn't have a coat
And it was way down in the fall
Momma sewed the rags together
Sewin' every piece with love
She made my coat of many colors
That I was so proud of
As she sewed, she told a story
From the bible, she had read
About a coat of many colors
Joseph wore and then she said
I hope this coat will bring you
Good luck and happiness
And I just couldn't wait to wear it
And momma blessed it with a kiss

My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made only from rags
But I wore it so proudly
Although we had no money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

So with patches on my britches
And holes in both my shoes
In my coat of many colors
I hurried off to school
Just to find the others laughing
And making fun of me
And my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

And oh I couldn't understand it
For I felt I was rich
And I told them of the love
My momma sewed in every stitch
And I told 'em all the story
Momma told me while she sewed
And how my coat of many colors
Was worth more than all their clothes

But they didn't understand it
And I tried to make them see
That one is only poor
Only if they choose to be
Now I know we had no money
But I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
Made just for me

In the context of this thread, this is spamming. Good show. Adding to the debate
 
I'd throw in Dolly Parton

<snip>

She's written some good songs, but this example rises to 'Christmas Shoes' levels of schmaltz.
I get it, you prefer your poetry prosaic, but that's not really an argument against awarding a prize to Dylan. That's like saying a particular French restaurant doesn't deserve a Michelin star because you'd rather have Thai food.
 
https://vimeo.com/150126587

It's a great song!

I'm pleased at this ridiculous decision because I like Bob Dylan.

I expect when he turns up to collect his award we will see that literary capability in full flourish.

"Uuuuh, thanks for this... I guess." Is roughly what I expect him to say.

Actually, I should have said "if he turns up to collect his award..." there's a good chance he simply won't show or won't accept his award.
 
I just figured all the books were crap this year. Either that, or the committee selecting Literature found a great way to upstage the peace prize winner....
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom