TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
- Joined
- Feb 2, 2011
- Messages
- 8,382
Mmmhhhaa. Neither one floats my boat TBF.
But then I am probably just a shallow, ignorant person who just doesn't "get it"
Nah. I wouldn't say that about you.
Mmmhhhaa. Neither one floats my boat TBF.
But then I am probably just a shallow, ignorant person who just doesn't "get it"
Whatever one may say of Dylan, Leonard Cohen is a greater poet by any measure.
Lost interest when I hit MorrisseyI think I would agree with you in the sense that his songs are usually more coherent than those of Bob. As it happens, I had a similar thought myself and then the BBC also suggested Cohen would be a good choice.
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20...iters-worthy-of-the-nobel-prize-in-literature
Mmmhhhaa. Neither one floats my boat TBF.
But then I am probably just a shallow, ignorant person who just doesn't "get it"
If they have to pick a song writer. Paul Simon and Garfunkle were better.There's no need for self-pity. If you are interested in the thread on who won the Nobel Prize for literature and have strong opinions on who should then don't simply disparage others for not being shallow. It's pretty clear that the Prize is likely to have been awarded only after rather deep rumination.
Which past winners is he more worthy than?
If they have to pick a song writer. Paul Simon and Garfunkle were better.
I'd even throw in David Bowie
True.David Bowie's dead. Therefore ineligible.
True.
Apologies
But Bob Dylan?
Purely my opinion. But he just doesnt stand out in the music worlds lyricists.Why not?
There is nothing wrong with a poet also being a songwriter.
There is nothing wrong with a poet winning the Nobel for Literature.
Dylan's lyrics have been influential and have had impact on the literary tradition of songwriting like none other. One metric would be the trivia facct that no artist has been covered more often than Dylan - and I daresay it's not because his music is so much better beyond every other composer's. Artists cover Dylan mostly because of the lyrics.
Having said that, I won't offer an opinion on how the quality and importance of his lyrics rank absolutely or relative to other, non-songing poets, as I am not much of a lyrics-appreciator.
I am not much surprised of the choice, and I approve.
Purely my opinion. But he just doesnt stand out in the music worlds lyricists.
Song for Sid Barrett by the rest of Pink Floyd
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.........
I'd throw in Dolly Parton
Back through the years
I go wanderin' once again
Back to the seasons of my youth
I recall a box of rags that someone gave us
And how my momma put the rags to use
There were rags of many colors
Every piece was small
And I didn't have a coat
And it was way down in the fall
Momma sewed the rags together
Sewin' every piece with love
She made my coat of many colors
That I was so proud of
As she sewed, she told a story
From the bible, she had read
About a coat of many colors
Joseph wore and then she said
I hope this coat will bring you
Good luck and happiness
And I just couldn't wait to wear it
And momma blessed it with a kiss
My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made only from rags
But I wore it so proudly
Although we had no money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
So with patches on my britches
And holes in both my shoes
In my coat of many colors
I hurried off to school
Just to find the others laughing
And making fun of me
And my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
And oh I couldn't understand it
For I felt I was rich
And I told them of the love
My momma sewed in every stitch
And I told 'em all the story
Momma told me while she sewed
And how my coat of many colors
Was worth more than all their clothes
But they didn't understand it
And I tried to make them see
That one is only poor
Only if they choose to be
Now I know we had no money
But I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
Made just for me
I'd throw in Dolly Parton
<snip>
They should have just given him the Peace Prize and be done with it
Baby Boomers rejoice. Everybody must get stoned indeed.
https://vimeo.com/150126587
It's a great song!
I'm pleased at this ridiculous decision because I like Bob Dylan.
I expect when he turns up to collect his award we will see that literary capability in full flourish.
"Uuuuh, thanks for this... I guess." Is roughly what I expect him to say.