• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS / Trumped Up! Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump-the-person said to Trump-the-actor: "this year, before November 8th, thou shalt deny global warming three hundred times". I'm always talking about Trump-the-person (Trump for short).

That's pretty amazing. It's a new form of rationalisation I haven't seen before.

Trump's lies aren't lies because he's portraying a character for his base. By that logic, no politician ever lies.
 
That's pretty amazing. It's a new form of rationalisation I haven't seen before.

Trump's lies aren't lies because he's portraying a character for his base. By that logic, no politician ever lies.

Quite the contrary. The problem in your reasoning is that you thought that by actor I meant thespian and not politician.

The difference is a professional performing magician and a performer who says he makes things actually disappear.

You say Trump lies? I'm saying he's a crooked illusionist. Not so potato potatoe as it may look.
 
I find it laughably unlikely that there would be so many deductions that a (supposed) mega-rich person could get his tax burden to zero.

For real estate investors this can be true. You are taking depreciation on what is likely an appreciating asset. It's essentially a tax-free loan on taxes. If the investments are successful, eventually the tax will be paid.

As I posted in another thread though, we are told that Donald is making most of his money now from licensing his name rather than direct real estate investment. Unless he is still losing lots of money on other things, that should result in plenty of tax owed.
 
"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice."

Trump-the-person said to Trump-the-actor: "this year, before November 8th, thou shalt deny global warming three hundred times". I'm always talking about Trump-the-person (Trump for short).

Did you hit your head recently?
 
For real estate investors this can be true. You are taking depreciation on what is likely an appreciating asset. It's essentially a tax-free loan on taxes. If the investments are successful, eventually the tax will be paid.

As I posted in another thread though, we are told that Donald is making most of his money now from licensing his name rather than direct real estate investment. Unless he is still losing lots of money on other things, that should result in plenty of tax owed.

Well, if it's possible, and he's on the up and up, why not release them? Show the world how smart he is?
 
For real estate investors this can be true. You are taking depreciation on what is likely an appreciating asset. It's essentially a tax-free loan on taxes. If the investments are successful, eventually the tax will be paid.
....

Not to digress too far, but it really is possible to make big bucks and pay near-zero taxes. This is why Warren Buffett supports a minimum tax on the wealthy, requiring people above a certain level to pay at least a 30% tax no matter how many deductions they have. Even Mitt Romney talked about limiting the total deductions that could be claimed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/opinion/buffett-a-minimum-tax-for-the-wealthy.html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/u...like-a-romney-idea-to-cap-tax-deductions.html

If Trump was smarter, he'd appeal to his base -- and maybe a lot of other people -- by releasing his taxes and saying "Lookee here, I'm one of the richest guys in the world, and I'm paying zero taxes, and it's all legal. That's how screwed up our system is, and if you elect me I'll change it, and I know how."
 
Quite the contrary. The problem in your reasoning is that you thought that by actor I meant thespian and not politician.

The difference is a professional performing magician and a performer who says he makes things actually disappear.

You say Trump lies? I'm saying he's a crooked illusionist. Not so potato potatoe as it may look.

You're missing my point: yours is a distinction without a difference: he's not pretending in order to entertain; he's lying.
 
His campaign manager says it's not lying if he doesn't really know what the truth is:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-trump-lied-a-lie-would-mean-that-he-knew/
Which, of course, is a lie. If I state something as fact without knowing the truth, I'm telling a lie. Even if I turned out to be right (Trump didn't), there would still be the underlying lie that I knew what I was talking about.

Frankly, the implication that a Republican would automatically be nicer to him is also a lie since he knows that there are plenty of Republicans who don't want to see him become President any more than the most fire-breathing of Democrats.
 
Which, of course, is a lie. If I state something as fact without knowing the truth, I'm telling a lie. Even if I turned out to be right (Trump didn't), there would still be the underlying lie that I knew what I was talking about.

Frankly, the implication that a Republican would automatically be nicer to him is also a lie since he knows that there are plenty of Republicans who don't want to see him become President any more than the most fire-breathing of Democrats.

I was recounting the Trumpian view. I certainly don't agree with it.
 
Which, of course, is a lie. If I state something as fact without knowing the truth, I'm telling a lie. Even if I turned out to be right (Trump didn't), there would still be the underlying lie that I knew what I was talking about.

Frankly, the implication that a Republican would automatically be nicer to him is also a lie since he knows that there are plenty of Republicans who don't want to see him become President any more than the most fire-breathing of Democrats.

I think that's slightly mistaken. Trump lies and he BSes, but mostly he's mouthing off. He doesn't respect the truth enough to remember what he said. Did he lie when he said he would never accept Cruz's endorsement? In the moment, he probably believed it; in fact, he probably believed Cruz would never endorse him. A few days ago he accepted the endorsement and praised Cruz as a "brilliant" opponent (which implies Trump is even more brilliant since he defeated the guy).

He just assumed Holt was a Democrat, which is not the worst assumption in the world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom