Do you really think that there was no difference between Tony Blair and Ian Duncan Smith, or Michael Howard in the 1990's?
Exactly! I dunno if it is just hyperbole to say there is no difference, I hope so.
Do you really think that there was no difference between Tony Blair and Ian Duncan Smith, or Michael Howard in the 1990's?
My problem with this approach is that you are in effect saying that we would have been better off with a tory government in 1997 rather than the Blair government. I fundamentally disagree, and think it is an extremely wrongheaded argument from anyone left of centre. And I really am no fan of Blair, but the New Labour government did a lot of good even if only by virtue of not being as bad as a tory government would have been. For evidence to prove this just look at the record of the tory government(s) since then.
That begs the question that John Smith would have lost the election, I think.
That begs the question that John Smith would have lost the election, I think.
What I am saying is that there is a significant difference between Blair, and by extension other centre left moderates, compared to any given Tory government hypothetical or real.
John Smith does not enter into it. (And Blair did not beat John Smith in a leadership election... he beat Prescott and Beckett). But if Smith hadn't suddenly died, or someone else had won the Labour leadership election in 94 its possible that Labour might have won the election in 97 and have done a better job than Blair did. That does not change the fact that the Blair government was better (imo) than any possible Tory government in 97 would have been.
I really hope Labour can find a charismatic leader who is considerably more left wing than Blair. But I would settle for someone who is centrist as a far preferable alternative to another tory government. What use is ideological purity if you are never in power?
Corbyn is not going to do this.
What I am saying is that there is a significant difference between Blair, and by extension other centre left moderates, compared to any given Tory government hypothetical or real.
John Smith does not enter into it. (And Blair did not beat John Smith in a leadership election... he beat Prescott and Beckett). But if Smith hadn't suddenly died, or someone else had won the Labour leadership election in 94 its possible that Labour might have won the election in 97 and have done a better job than Blair did. That does not change the fact that the Blair government was better (imo) than any possible Tory government in 97 would have been.
That would seem to be saying that Corbyn isn't getting genuinely bad press? That flies in the face of the available evidence.Yes and John Smith was a more electable leader than Foot or Kinnock (who was someone who genuinely got bad press)
That would seem to be saying that Corbyn isn't getting genuinely bad press? That flies in the face of the available evidence.
I suspect that you are confusing fair criticism for bad press. The actual research shows he had been subject to bad press.
Is Corbyn a proven electoral disaster?I am going to vote for Smith but not out of any great admiration of him, I just don't think he is a proven electoral disaster like Corbyn is. Ironically my politics are probably closer to Corbyn's than Smith's but I am a pragmatist.
Is Corbyn a proven electoral disaster?
I see no evidence of this at all, he seems to be quite good at getting the votes so far.
but whatever, mainstream media likes to create the narrative, just go with it eh'.
Is Corbyn a proven electoral disaster?
I see no evidence of this at all, he seems to be quite good at getting the votes so far.
but whatever, mainstream media likes to create the narrative, just go with it eh'.
His support for the IRA during its bombing campaign would not be ignored in the run-up to a general election.
I suppose that Major and Blair negotiating with the IRA and eventually incorporating their representatives into the Northern Ireland Government will be quietly forgotten though.