• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Should New Zealand Change its flag?

Should New Zealand change its flag?

  • I'm a Kiwi and I say Mind Your Own *********** Business!

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    132
New Flag option is going to be flying next to the boring old one from Friday for comparison on Aucklands bridge

And 120 other places

Apparently
 
New Flag option is going to be flying next to the boring old one from Friday for comparison on Aucklands bridge

And 120 other places

Apparently

So I see.

I expect it to be flying there permanently. There's definitely been a groundswell of support for changing it, and every time Aussie smacks us in the face again, more people lose interest in having a flag like theirs.

I think it's a crap design, but still 1,243,906 times better than the current one.
 
So I see.

I expect it to be flying there permanently. There's definitely been a groundswell of support for changing it, and every time Aussie smacks us in the face again, more people lose interest in having a flag like theirs.

I think it's a crap design, but still 1,243,906 times better than the current one.
Me to

I am not going to go postal if it stays but geez it is ugly
 
New Flag option is going to be flying next to the boring old one from Friday for comparison on Aucklands bridge

And 120 other places

Apparently

pffft, I have seen it flying well before the last referendum. The option is boring, dull, ugly and looks like a corporate logo. It is the dullest thing I have seen, it just has nothing to make it look good, the black and the blue aren't contrasting enough to do anything for it. The red one would have been much better as at least there would have been some contrasting colours to it.

I shudder to think that any New Zealanders would want to make that our country's emblem, because rather then saying we're modern and new, it'll say we're boring and bland.
 
... it'll say we're boring and bland.

As opposed to having borrowed the Blue Ensign for a century or so?

Besides which, I'd even take boring & bland against retaining an archaic piece of crap.

Plus, "boring & bland" is a perfect description of NZ. Christ, our national colour - and predominant daywear - is black, all houses are now produced in a shade of faecal brown and cars come in black, white & silver. NZ "culture" consists of Maori culture + the ABs, we complain about Australia having stolen the pavlova some 80 years after the event and our national dish is baked beans & sausages!

For god's sake, people live in Invercargill!

If you can point to a more boring & bland country than NZ, let me know. (And you're not allowed to use Belgium: too easy.)
 
pffft, I have seen it flying well before the last referendum. The option is boring, dull, ugly and looks like a corporate logo. It is the dullest thing I have seen, it just has nothing to make it look good, the black and the blue aren't contrasting enough to do anything for it. The red one would have been much better as at least there would have been some contrasting colours to it.

I shudder to think that any New Zealanders would want to make that our country's emblem, because rather then saying we're modern and new, it'll say we're boring and bland.

I'm guessing you would have preferred that god-awful red peak thing?

Criticise the black corner if you like, but it says "NZ" a lot more than the current flag.
 
pffft, I have seen it flying well before the last referendum. The option is boring, dull, ugly and looks like a corporate logo. It is the dullest thing I have seen, it just has nothing to make it look good, the black and the blue aren't contrasting enough to do anything for it. The red one would have been much better as at least there would have been some contrasting colours to it.

I shudder to think that any New Zealanders would want to make that our country's emblem, because rather then saying we're modern and new, it'll say we're boring and bland.

What would you prefer?
 
As opposed to having borrowed the Blue Ensign for a century or so?

Besides which, I'd even take boring & bland against retaining an archaic piece of crap.

Plus, "boring & bland" is a perfect description of NZ. Christ, our national colour - and predominant daywear - is black, all houses are now produced in a shade of faecal brown and cars come in black, white & silver. NZ "culture" consists of Maori culture + the ABs, we complain about Australia having stolen the pavlova some 80 years after the event and our national dish is baked beans & sausages!

For god's sake, people live in Invercargill!

If you can point to a more boring & bland country than NZ, let me know. (And you're not allowed to use Belgium: too easy.)

Don't put Belgium down like that. Great beer and chocolate, and the symbol of the country is a kid taking a piss. Belgium's great.
 
As opposed to having borrowed the Blue Ensign for a century or so?

Besides which, I'd even take boring & bland against retaining an archaic piece of crap.

Plus, "boring & bland" is a perfect description of NZ. Christ, our national colour - and predominant daywear - is black, all houses are now produced in a shade of faecal brown and cars come in black, white & silver. NZ "culture" consists of Maori culture + the ABs, we complain about Australia having stolen the pavlova some 80 years after the event and our national dish is baked beans & sausages!

For god's sake, people live in Invercargill!

If you can point to a more boring & bland country than NZ, let me know. (And you're not allowed to use Belgium: too easy.)

The North American Vexillological Association lists five rules for a good flag design. The new flag (despite its flaws) does score significantly better than the old one.

Avoiding the confusion with that other country is a big step up.

Link
http://www.ausflag.com.au/assets/images/Good-Flag-Bad-Flag.pdf
Ignore the Australian nature of the website.
 
Last edited:
As opposed to having borrowed the Blue Ensign for a century or so?

Besides which, I'd even take boring & bland against retaining an archaic piece of crap.

Plus, "boring & bland" is a perfect description of NZ. Christ, our national colour - and predominant daywear - is black, all houses are now produced in a shade of faecal brown and cars come in black, white & silver. NZ "culture" consists of Maori culture + the ABs, we complain about Australia having stolen the pavlova some 80 years after the event and our national dish is baked beans & sausages!

For god's sake, people live in Invercargill!

If you can point to a more boring & bland country than NZ, let me know. (And you're not allowed to use Belgium: too easy.)
On the other hand, you also have Milford Sound, the Waikato River, Franz Joseph Glacier, Rotorua, and Lake Taupo, so I wouldn't complain too much.
 
On the other hand, you also have Milford Sound, the Waikato River, Franz Joseph Glacier, Rotorua, and Lake Taupo, so I wouldn't complain too much.

You can be pretty & boring. (Well, I've sure met some women like that)

And I'm not complaining - boring suits me fine.
 
I lived there as a teenager. Interesting is right.

The thermal activity is pretty cool. Vastly improved since they stopped people drawing heat from it for home heating.
 
I really liked the gay kiwi, farting out a rainbow.
150901155311-new-zealand-flag-nyan-kiwi-exlarge-169.jpg
 
As opposed to having borrowed the Blue Ensign for a century or so?

Besides which, I'd even take boring & bland against retaining an archaic piece of crap.

Of the two, then yes, I'll sick with the archaic.

I'm not going to support a flag that is at least as bad as the current one, or imo worse, just for the sake of change and so Johnny can have his legacy.

Changing now means that we have a lesser chance to change it when it should be changed, and also getting an actually good flag, when we become a Republic.

I'm guessing you would have preferred that god-awful red peak thing?

Compared to the boring black and blue? Yes, Red Peak was my #4 pick, Black and Blue my #5.

That's not really saying much though, I didn't like any of the choices.

3 of the final 5 might as well have been identical other than the colours. 1 was a company logo, literally, there is a company that has it as a logo, and the other while ugly and awful was the only one to at least show a little originality.

Criticise the black corner if you like, but it says "NZ" a lot more than the current flag.

I'd actually say that Red says a lot more. Both Maori and Europeans have red in their history and cultures. It's a colour that combines us and it stands out, it doesn't hide in the background. The Blue and black will be lost among the other nations flags because it doesn't have anything that makes it stand out. Now yes, the same can be said for the current one, but that's why I prefer to stick with it. At least then when the time is right and people are ready for change we can get a good flag that will stand out and people will be proud of, not just one because it's change and Johnny wants it to be his legacy.

What would you prefer?

A good flag that doesn't look like a white feather on a dull background.

It's quite clear that most people don't want to change, and saw no point in the exercise. There will be a time to change, when we become a republic, and when we do, there will be a lot of support, a lot of ideas, and we'll have a good flag at the end of it.

What we got this time was a PM's pick to have a Silver fern on it, added to the choice of a flag that has been being promoted and pushed for donkey's. The lack of diversity in the final 50 and final 5 shows what a total joke and waste of money the entire thing was. It was never going to produce a good flag for the country and it didn't, and changing just because, isn't a good enough reason to land us with the ugly boring rag that most people didn't want.

Let's wait till it's right, and then do it properly and get a really good flag that stands out against the rest of the world and that we can all be proud of, rather than jumping off the cliff with this poorly thought out rubbish now, and losing the opportunity to do it right later.
 
Last edited:
Of the two, then yes, I'll sick with the archaic.

I'm not going to support a flag that is at least as bad as the current one, or imo worse, just for the sake of change and so Johnny can have his legacy.

Changing now means that we have a lesser chance to change it when it should be changed, and also getting an actually good flag, when we become a Republic.



Compared to the boring black and blue? Yes, Red Peak was my #4 pick, Black and Blue my #5.

That's not really saying much though, I didn't like any of the choices.

3 of the final 5 might as well have been identical other than the colours. 1 was a company logo, literally, there is a company that has it as a logo, and the other while ugly and awful was the only one to at least show a little originality.



I'd actually say that Red says a lot more. Both Maori and Europeans have red in their history and cultures. It's a colour that combines us and it stands out, it doesn't hide in the background. The Blue and black will be lost among the other nations flags because it doesn't have anything that makes it stand out. Now yes, the same can be said for the current one, but that's why I prefer to stick with it. At least then when the time is right and people are ready for change we can get a good flag that will stand out and people will be proud of, not just one because it's change and Johnny wants it to be his legacy.



A good flag that doesn't look like a white feather on a dull background.

It's quite clear that most people don't want to change, and saw no point in the exercise. There will be a time to change, when we become a republic, and when we do, there will be a lot of support, a lot of ideas, and we'll have a good flag at the end of it.

What we got this time was a PM's pick to have a Silver fern on it, added to the choice of a flag that has been being promoted and pushed for donkey's. The lack of diversity in the final 50 and final 5 shows what a total joke and waste of money the entire thing was. It was never going to produce a good flag for the country and it didn't, and changing just because, isn't a good enough reason to land us with the ugly boring rag that most people didn't want.

Let's wait till it's right, and then do it properly and get a really good flag that stands out against the rest of the world and that we can all be proud of, rather than jumping off the cliff with this poorly thought out rubbish now, and losing the opportunity to do it right later.
I think you might be surprised at the size wanting change.

Let's face it. The old one sucks

Voting for the new one but not losing sleep over the outcome
 
I think you might be surprised at the size wanting change.

They aren't answering the pollsters then. And considering that the 1st referendum didn't even get 50% of voters.... yeah.

Let's face it. The old one sucks

Voting for the new one but not losing sleep over the outcome

Can you say that the Blue and Black is the best flag for NZ? That it is as close to a perfect representation of us as we'll get? If not, then why lose the chance to get that far better flag by waiting. If we vote the original we will get another chance, if we don't, we end up stuck with old rubbish that sucks as badly as the current one, if not worse.
 
They aren't answering the pollsters then. And considering that the 1st referendum didn't even get 50% of voters.... yeah.



Can you say that the Blue and Black is the best flag for NZ? That it is as close to a perfect representation of us as we'll get? If not, then why lose the chance to get that far better flag by waiting. If we vote the original we will get another chance, if we don't, we end up stuck with old rubbish that sucks as badly as the current one, if not worse.
Black is our national colour.

Fern is NZ

Southern cross

All good.
 
Why don't you put the face of a famous NZer on the flag? You could put err, err, err, someone err famous on it!




ETA: Daniel Logan, yes! That's it! Daniel Logan He's famous.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom