Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly
I've spent a decent amount of time over the last few years learning about religious argumentation through debates, lectures, and other formats and there's something on my mind at present which I can't wrap my head around: objective morality.
Now, what's most commonly done (in my experience) is that when someone's religious moral views are challenged, the theist will exclaim that without religion (or some belief system) you can't have Objective Moral Values (OMV). They will then attack moral relativism as if it's the only alternative since they see it as entirely subjective (I'm not sure, tbh).
Ofc, I see their religious views as subjective even if the morals themselves are supposed to be objective (after all, it's based on interpretation or emotion, both of which are considered to be NOT objective at least under WLC's definition)...
I'm fine with all of this but I wonder what the appeal is in the first place for a system of objectivity when it comes to morality. I know we like to have simple answers to complicated questions but I wonder if that's not only unrealistic but is it even desirable outside of convenience?
I honestly don't know and am just rambling a bit. Feel free to share your thoughts.
The funny thing about that argument is that according to Genesis, Adam and Eve and presumably all their descendants got to instinctively know the difference between good and evil when they ate from the tree of knowledge. Therefore, according to their own religion, those who believe have no particular trump card over those who don't in knowing the difference between good and evil, and the Biblical discussions of ethics are thus redundant.
-OR- you could say that all those later commands had a limited amount to do with good and evil per se -- Mr. God just wanted to create a unique culture that cut off their foreskins and other such nonsense to express his sense of impeccable style and taste. The only REAL evil in the world is being naked. after all.
Last edited: