What is your purpose for doing this?
My immediate purpose was rather simple and self-centered: I am in the process of writing a few blog posts about the photoset, in which I will document the exact and relative timing of all photos. So far, I simply had not done those screen shots myself in the format that I do them, and since I just stored the jpgs in my Photobucket album, I thought, hey, why not post them.
I am the first here I think who attempted to get the quality of the screenshot about right.
The black lines do not appear in the original broadcast. There is no disputing that fact. If the black lines are not in the original broadcast then they have to be caused by the TV or the VCR.
Or in the way that an analogue SLR camera captures images from CRT screens. As someone already pointed out, shutter speed plays a role in conjunction with the CRT's refresh rate. So does bleeding.
(There is also the scanning process. This does not apply to the dark band on the TV, but in general you have to keep in mind the possibility of scanning artefacts when analysing these photos)
I don't see what you are trying to do. Placing your image over the TV proves nothing. You admitted you had to blur the image in order to attempt to match what was on the TV. You didn't blur the text, you only blurred the time.
No, this is FALSE: I applied all filters (color balance, gamma, contrast, noise, blur) to the entire TV - TV frame, text, time, logo, towers, smoke, sky, everything.
That is possibly the exact same thing they did. You also did not use the right blur tool. Your blur is more smoothing than pixelation.
I think you don't understand the steps by which the photo was created, and how to mimick them with filters:
Step 1: The brightness (gamma) is a matter of aperture and shutter time - exposition, in one word.
Step 2: Contrast and color balance are a matter of sensitivity of the film's chemistry upon exposure, and of the chemical development process.
Step 3: The film has some random "pixelation" - that's noise, which I added
Step 4: But the lens is not focused - it blurs things that are out of focus. This blur is indeed a smoothing and smearing of edges. That's what I did last.
(Actually, Step 3 and 4 ought to be reversed. Doesn't make a big difference though as there is not much noise in that part of the photo. Also, I (the simple software I use: IrfanView) don't have a filter that mimicks bleed - bleed is the effect that very bright areas of an image spill into the darker neighboring region, this effect makes the white characters of the text appear larger than they are).
Thanks for proving the concept though. You probably didn't mean to do that, did you?
Since you erred about how I used the filters, and admit that the logo and time become illegibly blurred while the text caption is still readable, I think you just prove MY concept
