CoolSceptic
Muse
- Joined
- Mar 6, 2008
- Messages
- 689
My fault for looking at twitter! All the worst jokes, guaranteed...<cringe> I hadn't even made the connection, or seen it made before now.
My fault for looking at twitter! All the worst jokes, guaranteed...<cringe> I hadn't even made the connection, or seen it made before now.
Just under 60% of the vote for Corbyn!
Jeremy Corbyn: 251,417 - 59.5%
Andy Burnham: 80,462 - 19%
Yvette Cooper: 71,928 - 17%
Liz Kendall: 18,857 - 4.5%
Easily more than the other 3 candidates put together.
If it wasn't so important, it would be hilarious: the leader that few Labour MPs wanted, and all the Conservatives wanted. It could hardly be a bigger gift to the Conservative party. The upside will be an increased interest in politics for a while. The downside is another 10 years of opposition for Labour.
The parliamentary Labour party so thoroughly trounced in the last election, you mean? I think you're profoundly wrong about the national mood and Labour's prospects, but it will take at least a few years to become clear. We shall see.
But in the inevitably spoofily-wise words of The Daily Mash, ahead of the vote:
Corbyn added: “So long as the party realises the folly of trying to win elections by being microscopically less awful than the Tories, it is accomplished.”
I realize that's how the press will present it, and have few doubts that that's how it'll turn out. But it will be more because of the way the media presents it than anything.Years? Try days. Corbyn is Michael Foot Mark II he will do something catastrophic to the party's image and prospects in short order.
No, but I think it will be a large factor. I don't agree with Corbyn on quite a lot of issues, but many of the ones where he differs from the other parties (and they don't differ from each other) are ones where the public actually do largely agree with him.Really, Rat? Really? The best you can do to explain the (future) failure of a hard-left Labour platform is to blame it on the media? It's like it's a whole great conspiracy.......
Years? Try days. Corbyn is Michael Foot Mark II he will do something catastrophic to the party's image and prospects in short order.
No, but I think it will be a large factor. I don't agree with Corbyn on quite a lot of issues, but many of the ones where he differs from the other parties (and they don't differ from each other) are ones where the public actually do largely agree with him.
We already covered nationalizing railways. Even the majority of Conservative voters are in favour of that.You've got some evidence for this, I presume?
We already covered nationalizing railways. Even the majority of Conservative voters are in favour of that.