I'll ask you again, show how neoliberalism is a "left-wing" ideology.
No.
I'll ask you again, show how neoliberalism is a "left-wing" ideology.
"Now"? I always have. Each voter has the same weight.You're now defining the left-right spectrum in terms of voters. Weighted for numbers supporting each party?
Yes. On the whole I suspect these declarations are rich in the subjective bias of the declarer. But yes it is a limitation. I don't think "voters are moving right" though. Not that I will be arguing about that (again).If so, you prevent yourself from being able to say things like "voters are moving to the right and all the main parties are following them" (If such a thing were to happen).
Maybe Donald Trump supporters think it poisons their well too.Yes, and a large part of that piece is classic "poisoning the well" by ranting about Trump et al.
My point is not that such a statement would be true or not; but that your definition of left and right prevents you from observing it, even if it - or a move to the left - were to take place."Now"? I always have. Each voter has the same weight.
Yes. On the whole I suspect these declarations are rich in the subjective bias of the declarer. But yes it is a limitation. I don't think "voters are moving right" though. Not that I will be arguing about that (again).
Sure. But I suspect these "static" assessments fall prey to subjective biases and end up saying more about who is doing the assessment than they do about voters. Hence much less useful.
Consider German conservatives 1932 or so. Right wing, even racist in quite a strong sense. Aristocratic and contemptuous of workers and their organisations. But supporters of parliamentarian parties, or at least willing to tolerate parliamentary systems of government.That feels a little like an ad hom, but certainly I don't see racism as a necessary or defining aspect of the right wing, and if it is, I think the terms 'left wing' or 'right wing' are even more meaningless. I'm sure there are many who are unflinchingly right wing and not at all racist, and I have known many old-fashioned left-wing union men who are as racist as they come.
The things that Tebbit listed are pretty much defining aspects of the left wing, and they are all things that the BNP have supported, and that the Conservatives (obviously) do not support.
I think that is most improbable. The movement will continue, and if the party has to reform itself to resume its position as political expression of that movement, it will. It has nearly wrecked itself as a party by becoming not the expression of a movement, but simply a vehicle for securing political power for a leadership clique; but it may well be able to recover its reason for being. Or if not, another party will be formed and will fulfil that function.Not that it matters. Labour are finished now, these are just the spasms of a dying movement.
I think that is most improbable. The movement will continue, and if the party has to reform itself to resume its position as political expression of that movement, it will. It has nearly wrecked itself as a party by becoming not the expression of a movement, but simply a vehicle for securing political power for a leadership clique; but it may well be able to recover its reason for being. Or if not, another party will be formed and will fulfil that function.
In Scotland, the SNP seems to be replacing the LP in that role. But even South of the Border, where there is a political or social movement, there will be some party or other which will represent it.
The present government is very markedly right wing. There is space on the left. It will be occupied by Labour or some other party.
Perhaps. As always, it depends what they do in government. If they go too far in the interests of one particular social group, opposition will quickly form, and take shape as an electoral force.I should have said finished as a political force, i.e. a potential contender for government. I'm sure they'll muddle on in some form or another, scrapping with each other and biting at the heels of government, and maybe there'll even be some offshoot party, but I think the next generation is pretty much sewn up in terms of who's in charge of this country.
Not that it matters. Labour are finished now, these are just the spasms of a dying movement.
You might be right, but good comes from change, not from standing around waving one's dick* about how bad Jeremy Corbyn is.
Whether Corbyn succeeds is the entire point. New Labourites have had their go and they're crying now someone else is getting a turn.
If it turns out that Corbyn is The Death of Labour, then it deserved to die. If there's any guts and life left in them, they will evolve into something else and once again become relevant, and in future, the government.
Given the flocking to Corbyn of young people and the continuing astounding success of Bernie Sanders, it just might be a sea-change in thinking between the generations. That would be a bloody good thing, in my opinion.
It might not, too, but it's better than going back to plan A as in my first sentence.
*I'm not accusing you of that, by the way, but it describes what I see from many people.
I haven't seen anyone doing that so far.
Hmm. Could you please define "dick wagging" with specificity (in this context) because I'm pretty sure I have.
If dick wagging consists of substance-free "criticism", surely opposition to Corbyn, and not support for him, should qualify.Substance-free criticism for starters.
Accordingly, substance-free support for Corbyn will qualify.
Not that it matters. Labour are finished now, these are just the spasms of a dying movement.
As was claimed in the 70s, 80s and the 90s up to 1997.
That would suggest they're "hard left" now. But I don't think that makes any sense.So, all the times they were hard left, up until the time they went soft left.