Francesca R
Girl
"All main political parties are right of centre" seems pretty similar to claiming that almost all integers between one and ten are even. Not to be taken seriously.
By the definition of right and left used in the chart, it's possble for them all to be on one side or the other, as the criterion is not a mutual relationship of the parties, but their position as regards external political criteria. I'm sure in fact that's obvious to you if you consider it a little."All main political parties are right of centre" seems pretty similar to claiming that almost all integers between one and ten are even. Not to be taken seriously.
In other words, not representative of the political centre.their position as regards external political criteria.
As Tebbit wrote of the BNP:Well, that may be their opinion, but it looks like nonsense to me. They place the Conservatives way to the right of the BNP and UKIP, for instance, and they say that the only national party of the left is the Green party. It would be interesting to see how they came to those conclusions, and, just as importantly, who they are that compile charts like that.
...there is plenty of anti-capitalism, opposition to free trade, commitments to "use all non-destructive means to reduce income inequality", to institute worker ownership, to favour workers' co-operatives, to return parts of the railways to state ownership, to nationalise the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and to withdraw from NATO. That sounds pretty Left-wing to me.
I don't know what you mean. Let's look at this in terms of general political theory and say that (this is not a real example) those parties which propose that money should be abolished are left wing. If no party proposes that, then none of them are left wing. There's a sort of real but diluted version of that in the Clause 4 question. If that sort of thing is left wing, it stays on the left, and a party that abandons it moves to the right. If none of them promote it, they're all on the right. The centre as a whole may have moved in relation to this measure.In other words, not representative of the political centre.
I don't know what you mean. Let's look at this in terms of general political theory and say that (this is not a real example) those parties which propose that money should be abolished are left wing. If no party proposes that, then none of them are left wing. There's a sort of real but diluted version of that in the Clause 4 question. If that sort of thing is left wing, it stays on the left, and a party that abandons it moves to the right. If none of them promote it, they're all on the right. The centre as a whole may have moved in relation to this measure.
But if the centre is defined as the average of all political parties then of course they can't be all left wing; because some parties are to the right of other parties.
But that's not how the source we have looked at considers the matter. I think that is a better way of looking at it, by the way, because it enables overall shifts involving all parties to be detected and defined.
Yes one might, not as regards authoritarianism as such, but racism. Not all policies are to be given the same weight as criteria. Racism outweighs many others, taken together.As Tebbit wrote of the BNP ...
Most people have only a vague notion of what left-wing and right-wing actually mean, but by any reasonable measure, the BNP are left of the Conservatives, unless you regard authoritarianism as necessarily right-wing.
I regard the centre as the centre of UK voting preferences. It is daft to call it the centre if it is on one wing.But if the centre is defined as the average of all political parties then of course they can't be all left wing; because some parties are to the right of other parties.
As noted; that's one valid way of defining the centre, hence of defining left and right. But it isn't the only way; nor do I think it's the best way, as I have argued.I regard the centre as the centre of UK voting preferences. It is daft to call it the centre if it is on one wing.
Yes one might, not as regards authoritarianism as such, but racism. Not all policies are to be given the same weight as criteria. Racism outweighs many others, taken together.
In any case Tebbit was being disingenuously mischievous. He was appealing to his own very right wing following. If he had excoriated these fascists as right wingers, he feared - I think rightly - that some of his followers would have defected towards the BNP. For Tebbit, it's probably "pas d'ennemis à droite". All political rivals must be depicted as left wingers.
Not agreed. You're now defining the left-right spectrum in terms of voters. Weighted for numbers supporting each party?Sure. But I suspect these "static" assessments fall prey to subjective biases and end up saying more about who is doing the assessment than they do about voters. Hence much less useful.
I regard the centre as the centre of UK voting preferences. It is daft to call it the centre if it is on one wing.
But this unquestioned criterion "centre of UK voting preferences" - that is not even an assumption - is not the same centre as, for example. the centre of Scottish voting preferences. It is therfore one measure, and other measures are possible, and even I think more informative.Agreed, and as an aside, it was the assumption I made when drawing my bell-graph diagram 3 or 4 pages ago. In fact, it is so obvious that I don't even see it as an assumption.
But this unquestioned criterion "centre of UK voting preferences" - that is not even an assumption - is not the same centre as, for example. the centre of Scottish voting preferences......
I regard the centre as the centre of UK voting preferences. It is daft to call it the centre if it is on one wing.
........In this respect New Labour has veered right-of-centre.........
Righto. I'll re-calibrate all you posts mentally then.
I simply disagree with this. They certainly took Labour rightwards, but they were still left of centre in my view. They may have been right of where Labour normally situate themselves, but that doesn't mean they were right of centre.
Not sure about "has" (ie present tense) in your sentence. The New Labour project is dead.