Belz...
Fiend God
there is no such thing as "compared to a nuke". A "nuke" is a nuclear explosion.
No **** ?
Did you really feel the need to be _that_ pedant in a thread NOT about nukes?
there is no such thing as "compared to a nuke". A "nuke" is a nuclear explosion.
No **** ?
Did you really feel the need to be _that_ pedant in a thread NOT about nukes?
well, it was YOU who said it was "nothing" compared to a nuke. So, it seems when you think of "nukes" you think of Hiroshima, Nagasaki and even larger nukes.
The death toll has risen to 114, with more than 700 people injured and another 70, mostly firefighters, still missing.
Chinese officials have yet to say conclusively what caused the blasts but have acknowledged that there were dozens of types of chemicals on site, including a reported 700 tons of sodium cyanide, 800 tons of ammonium nitrate and 500 tons of potassium nitrate.
Here's some new info:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...14b669-de26-4b47-aa57-b2ea844de25b_story.html
So, two more officially dead, but only 70 still missing instead of 95.
And more on the amounts of chemicals:
Confirms my suspicion that the figure "21 tons" of explosives that kept getting repeated in the media was far too low. Since there were two explosions, maybe the first, smaller one was the potassium nitrate and the second bigger one was the ammonium nitrate? We know there was a fire before the explosions. That's why the firefighters were there. The same was true in West Texas.

Would it help if there was a rule that only one type of dangerous chemical could be stored in bulk in any one building?
Actually, it seems there was a fire-station right next door.
Hans

...
And more on the amounts of chemicals:
...
Confirms my suspicion that the figure "21 tons" of explosives that kept getting repeated in the media was far too low. ...
Nullifying their effectiveness? When I was on fire parties we mustered up away from the scene of the fire. Quick response is good if there's anybody left to respond.![]()
I was thinking more about increasing their casualties.
Hans
What's interesting is that GZ appears to be right where the entrance/weigh station is for the trucks.
ETA: I just noticed that AcesHigh said the same thing above. So credit to AH.
I noticed that but I have no theory of why GZ us there.
if I liked conspiracy theories, I would say that trucks had just released crates with ammonium nitrate there and not even the deposit owners knew of it.
but I don´t like, so I am very curious why and how you would have 800 tons of ammonium nitrate in THAT space.
ps: there are tables to convert explosive power to TNT, and ammonium nitrate is about 0.42, although that depends on the ammonium nitrate quality... it can actually be as low as 1 gram = 0.35 grams of TNT, up to 0.55.
I must be spending too much time reading here. I read the 'GZ', in this case, as George Zimmerman, and for a split second, wondered to myself, now how on Earth are they going to blame George Zimmerman for this one?
Then I realized 'GZ' was Ground Zero...![]()
I noticed that but I have no theory of why GZ us there.
if I liked conspiracy theories, I would say that trucks had just released crates with ammonium nitrate there and not even the deposit owners knew of it.
but I don´t like, so I am very curious why and how you would have 800 tons of ammonium nitrate in THAT space.
ps: there are tables to convert explosive power to TNT, and ammonium nitrate is about 0.42, although that depends on the ammonium nitrate quality... it can actually be as low as 1 gram = 0.35 grams of TNT, up to 0.55.
I must be spending too much time reading here. I read the 'GZ', in this case, as George Zimmerman, and for a split second, wondered to myself, now how on Earth are they going to blame George Zimmerman for this one?
Then I realized 'GZ' was Ground Zero...![]()