• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Explosions in Tianjin, China

The map and the satellite view are somewhat out of sync... The map is showing everything up and to the right from the actual picture.
Yeah, I have that too. I thought it was just me.


Same. The street overlay gets messed up for some reason.

The more I look at that image the less I think it's the right spot. :(


Do some landmark matching. The lot full of burned out cars and the two associated buildings, the apartment buildings... these can both be found in the satellite image.

It's the correct spot.

ETA: Just to avoid confusion, I took a screenshot from Google Earth (oriented to match the one crater image) and numbered some landmarks: http://imgur.com/a/OR0zO
 
Last edited:
Do some landmark matching. The lot full of burned out cars and the two associated buildings, the apartment buildings... these can both be found in the satellite image.

It's the correct spot.

You are correct. I keep screwing myself up as they are viewed from opposite directions.

Add to that and beer and barbecue............:o
 
Top picture doesn't work, two different locations.


Nope. Take a good look at the larger version (click), particularly the right side of both images. There are several blue structures that match exactly (accounting for blast damage, of course). There's also the roads; the rows of stacked containers and other objects in the top-right corner; and the white-ish feature at the bottom-right corner.

These features also match those present in the second, zoomed out comparison.
 
Last edited:
There looks to be an industrial pond of some kind (sewage treatment maybe?) to the lower left of the Google Earth view. But it doesn't match the location of the water in the aftermath image if the landmarks on the Google Earth location are correct.

Is it possible the water filled in after the blast because the water table was cut in to by the blast? The port channel is right there in the G Earth view.
 
Last edited:
There looks to be an industrial pond of some kind (sewage treatment maybe?) to the lower left of the Google Earth view. But it doesn't match the location of the water in the aftermath image if the landmarks on the Google Earth location are correct.

Is it possible the water filled in after the blast because the water table was cut in to by the blast? The port channel is right there in the G Earth view.

Could be runoff fire fighting water. I imagine there was quite a bit being used.
 
Those who live in-country know better than me, but I understand that rumors in China involve 5,000 dead. Of course, I don't think that number represents anything other than lack of trust in the Chinese government and media, but I thought I'd mention it.

My source is Chinese news sites (not top tier), as reported by a native speaker.
 
But this is a harbor, so the ground water won't be too far below the surface. If the explosions opened a fissure to water underneath the blast center would water bubble up to fill the hole or no? I have no idea myself, my hydrography experience was directed elsewhere.


If the blast excavated enough to get below the water table then yes, it would probably fill to the level of the water table.

I don't think there'd be much pressure behind it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom