Interesting. Let's review:
You are arguing that it is possible to find some people for which the Confederate flag symbolizes something
other than the racist Confederacy. That is the claim I'm asking you to support.
How is that a straw man?
It's a straw man because you are asserting that somehow the supporters of the flag deny the connection with racism. I certainly don't deny the connection of the flag with racism. I'm just saying that not every use of the flag implies racism.
So, can you rephrase your argument in such a way that it doesn't include the denial of racism?
That's a bit hard to parse. Let me illustrate with an example.
For me, that flag represents an army. Of course, that army was made up primarily of racists, and was fighting in a racist cause, but it was still an army. It was a bunch of men fighting and dying on a battlefield. The flag represents the men, not their cause. I do not deny that most of the men were racist, but while they happened to be shooting at each other near Manassas, Virginia, the Union and Confederate soldiers weren't really engaging in racism. They were just soldiers. So, I don't deny the existence of racism, but the flag doesn't represent that racism for me. It represents soldiers on a battlefield.
It also represents my specific ancestor on battlefields in the west, to me. Again, he was a racist, but he wasn't doing anything racist while he was fighting at Wilson's Creek. He was just hiding behind hay bales hoping not to get shot by enemy bullets.
So, that's what I am saying. I am saying that the flag has multiple meanings,
including the racist confederacy. I wouldn't deny it, so any argument that asserts denial on my part is just a straw man.
"Heritage, not hate" has never been a denunciation of racism. It is a denial that racism exists, or ever existed.
While some might deny that racism exists or existed, that isn't what the saying means. It is an affirmative statement that racism is hate, and it suggests a denial that those people do not support the hate with which the flag has been associated.
What you (and a lot of people) are doing is saying that the flag can only mean one thing. It is inseparably connected to racial hatred, but that isn't the only thing it could possibly mean. My connection to it might be a game I played as a young man, or it might be stories told to me by my grandmother, that she heard from her grandmother.
So, if I chose to purchase a coaster with that flag for use when playing a game of "House Divided", I'm really not making a racist statement. Really. I'm not sure why those of you on the anti-coaster side thing that we need to get rid of those trinkets.