I live in a very liberal town (Gainesville) in the 'North Central' region of Florida. While hardly anyone here has an accent, we do have one confederate memorial (with a flag) that people are now trying to have removed:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150629/ARTICLES/150629676?tc=cr
I've lived here on and off for most of my life and had no idea that statue honored dead confederate soldiers. I've driven by it countless of times as it is at a major intersection and very prominently displayed, but I've never bothered to park somewhere and get out to read the inscription. I also don't remember an actual flag, so I'm thinking it is an inscription of the flag rather than the confederate flag itself.
If we have a big statue like that in the liberal bastion of Gainesville (believe me, all areas around this town are deeply conservative), I can only imagine what some of the nearby smaller towns might have.
I haven't been to the state capitol in many years, so I couldn't speak for there either.