Antony
Graduate Poster
And it does 185!
"... I lost my license and now I don't drive."
And it does 185!
Now that she's off the hook, can she confess to what she did without consequences?
Raffaele's performance throughout has been incredible, heroic.I provided a quote from Bongiorno yesterday that made it clear that they were not throwing Amanda under the bus. I think Raffaele's appearances helped, but I think Peter Gill might have helped concentrate some minds.
Well before I go out shopping. See
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rican-patrick-lumumba-meredith-kercher-murder
Note that there is a conflict of interest here.
I do understand how for Patrick Lumumba it seems easy to blame Knox for his misfortune. The truth is the police were the professionals responsible for the investigation. If they over reacted to an induced statement because their interview techniques are poor it is their fault not Knox's. Even accepting they needed to act rapidly to detain him as a potential flight risk, his alibi was rapidly confirmed. He should have been promptly released to get on with his life. The prolonged closure of his bar is entirely due to the prosecuting magistrate (Mignini?). I suspect patrick is a pragmatist. Money is better from his current standpoint, he'll get nothing if he blames the police but a whole lot of trouble. At least this way he probably is paid for interviews.
Less to parse in the aftermath, but from the articleWell before I go out shopping. See
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rican-patrick-lumumba-meredith-kercher-murder
Note that there is a conflict of interest here.
I do understand how for Patrick Lumumba it seems easy to blame Knox for his misfortune. The truth is the police were the professionals responsible for the investigation. If they over reacted to an induced statement because their interview techniques are poor it is their fault not Knox's. Even accepting they needed to act rapidly to detain him as a potential flight risk, his alibi was rapidly confirmed. He should have been promptly released to get on with his life. The prolonged closure of his bar is entirely due to the prosecuting magistrate (Mignini?). I suspect patrick is a pragmatist. Money is better from his current standpoint, he'll get nothing if he blames the police but a whole lot of trouble. At least this way he probably is paid for interviews.
Is it really possible for Knox and Sollecito to get compensation for wrongful imprisonment? I didn't think that was possible anywhere. People are remanded in custody pending trial and subsequently acquitted all over the world, and I've never heard of anyone being compensated for that, no matter how pathetic the case against them.
They would have to apply for it, but I think that once they do it's more or less automatic. Anyone found not guilty of a crime in Italy is entitled to a certain amount for each year of unjust imprisonment. Page 15 of this document has more info: "Article 314 of the CPP provides for the possibility of compensation for the unjust period spent in pre-trial detention. In essence, a person acquitted by a conclusive decision is entitled to compensation when he/she is found not guilty [of] the offence".
Lumumba was quoted: “What Amanda did I don’t know, but I think she knows why Meredith died.” More of the "she knows more than she is telling" nonsense. If I were in a charitable mood, I might conclude that Patrick is one of those people who just does not get false confessions. However he also said, “Amanda lied to me. I am feeling very bad [about the acquittal].” It would be nice to know what he meant by that remark.
Did he get any compensation for wrongful incarceration?
IIRC, Patrick Lumumba turned down an offer of money from Italy for his wrongful arrest and detention.
Anyone care to guess what happens next,a)a grovelling apology from the mayor of Perugia to Amanda and Raffaele,b) an apology to Amanda Knox from the Italian government,c)an investigation started into the prosecution.
Less to parse in the aftermath, but from the article
Speaking outside the courtroom on Friday, the family’s lawyer, Francesco Maresca, said: “The judges said there is a lack of proof and whoever acted with [Rudi] Guede [the only person found guilty of the murder] has not been found.”
So we are looking for just one coperpetrator now?
Did he get any compensation for wrongful incarceration?
To provide some more detail:
CPP Article 314 Prerequisites for and methods of decisions
1. Whoever is dismissed by a final judgment because the criminal act did not occur, or they did not commit it...is entitled to compensation for the precautionary detention he served, if he did not cause or contributed to cause it intentionally or by gross negligence.
{Paragraphs 2 through 5 of this Article appear similar and generally apply to other grounds on which a case is dropped.}
Note: Constitutional Court judgments No. 310/1996 and 109/1999 have extended the right to fair compensation also to the cases of mistaken enforcement injunction...or temporary detention of a person suspected of a crime, within the same limits set for precautionary detention.
CPP Article 315 Procedure for compensation
1. The application for compensation must be submitted, under penalty of inadmissibility, within two years of the day in which the judgment of dismissal or conviction becomes final....
2. The amount of compensation in no case shall exceed EUR 516,456.90.
3. The rules on compensation for miscarriage of justice shall apply, provided they are compatible.
Since Amanda's conviction for calunnia may need to be reversed by a revision trial, possibly following a judgment by the ECHR, the following may apply:
CPP Article 643 Compensation for miscarriage of justice
1. Whoever is dismissed at a revision trial, without having caused miscarriage of justice by intentional misconduct or gross negligence, is entitled to compensation proportionately to the duration of the sentence or confinement that may have been served and to the personal and family consequences resulting from the conviction.
2.Compensation shall consist in the payment of a sum of money, or, according to the conditions of the person entitled to compensation and the type of damage, in a life annuity....
3. {Not relevant to this case.}
CPP Article 645 Application for compensation
1. The application for compensation shall be submitted, under penalty of inadmissibility, within two years of the judgment of revision becoming final....
2. {Details application procedure if revision is for someone who has died.}
.I bet my wife I could go a day without posting.....
....... oh crap.
Actually I do expect them at some time in the future to issue a full apology to Knox. I even expect them to invite Amanda back so they can issue that apology in person. Hey, if you're going to issue a Mea Culpa, do it in a grand magnanimous fashion to show you really mean it. But I don't think this will happen soon. 3 years minimum..but probably more like 10. It would actually be great PR.
So they have confirmed the 'judicial fact' of Guede not acting alone?
So we still have some nonsense in the interpretation it seems.