carbonjam72
Master Poster
- Joined
- Apr 24, 2014
- Messages
- 2,324
Coulsdon,
It may be more difficult to track down the outcomes. You could try looking at the Committee of Ministers site on the Council of Europe collection of sites.
The responsibility for any retrials rests with the respondent State under the supervision of the Committee of Ministers. I believe in many cases there is no issue with the State working to appropriately restore a person whose rights have been violated; by belief, I mean I don't know for sure.
In my spot checking, I found that the Committee of Ministers had very serious complaints about Albania not proceeding in a timely way to retry certain individuals who had been subjected to unfair trials. The CoM and the EoC don't have a police force or a military to enforce the Convention, so I presume that negotiation, discussion, verbal shaming, and nagging (collectively "jaw-boning" in the US) may be important tools.
But what happens to Raffaelle's inheritance in the meantime? While Italy is getting straightened out by ECHR, will the Kerchers be allowed to steal it? I think that's what CoulsdonUK is getting at, no?