Here again (as you have done countless times) you make an unsupportable assumption. How do you know that certain artists were only under the impression that divine influence was operative in the creation of their masterpieces?
(
emphasis added)
Thank you for (finally)
admitting to a place in the text where you have
altered my post. Seeing you master the ellipsis is, in fact, a refreshing change. it almost gives one hope.
OTH, you immediately pull a "26:11" by resorting to distortion of my words. Again.
The
highlighted term is your own, unique, redaction; it neither appears, nor can with any pretense of honesty be said to be implied by, what I posted. It is, however, the argument to which you are prepared to respond, so your need (independent of my words), makes it (in your mind) a proper insertion.
What I did, in fact, say, is that an artist's own conviction that "divine inspiration" was operative in her creative process is not, in fact, evidence for the operation of "divine inspiration" (any more than the home crowd's conviction, at Notre Dame Stadium, that "touchdown Jesus" is on their side is evidence for what the final score will be).
I do know that there is no evidence, none, for the mere existence of a "divinity"; further, there is no evidence, none, for the operation of "divine inspiration" (to say nothing of the problem of from
which of the multiple thousands of invented 'gods' the "divine afflatus" is to be taken as having issued).
I will forego your careless use of the term, "masterpiece".
You don't know that any more than you know that Mars is inhabited by green, one-eyed midgets with ears six inches wide.
Consider the Teapot; consider the Unicorn.
I can say, with confidence, that no evidence of the existence, upon Mars, of any form of life (more complex than bacteria) has even been advanced. Currently, Mars appears to be inhabited primarily by robots.
You commit an error in inductive reasoning. You would have us believe that one person's experience is of universal relevance.
First, you mistake a hypothetical. Tsk, tsk. Then, you indulge in the fallacy of
argumentum ad populum. Which is odd, as you, yourself, belong to a minority splinter sect of xianity. How does the number of people on board, or the cost of the calliope, repair your
fallacia pompae?
I never said Handel was influenced by the God LDS worship.
I wonder how many 'gods' capable of "divine inspiration" you, personally, believe there are. I wonder if you realize that the concept of multiple 'gods' is not an xian concept.
BTW, how do you know what god Handel worshipped (assuming that there are, as you suppose, many gods)?
First, is it you, not I, who assumes there are (or must be) "many 'gods' " (see just above). I do not assume there is (or are)
any 'god' (or 'gods'). (To clairfy: "not any" is less than "many"; in fact, it is less than "one".)
Second, if you are not qualified to discern the deeply Lutheran protestant themes in the theology expressed in
Messiah, you must (at least) be able to encompass the idea that Handel was not a devotee of the mormon 'god', as mormonism had not yet been invented. I do not claim to "know" what 'god' Handel worshiped, but I can read.
That's your assertion; otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question.
You (once again) mistake a hypothetical. It is not, in fact, I who "asserts" that there are multiple 'gods'. The one making that implication is, in fact, you (see just above).
To clarify: what I have asserted is that an artist's claim, or belief, or assertion that "divine inspiration" was operative in her work is not (I repeat, not) evidence of the actual existence (or operation) of "divine inspiration".
Surely you have some fresh, new, valid accusations to lodge against me.
Perhaps you should check your "650,000-word dictionary"; you appear to be misusing the simple English noun, "accusation".
OTH, as long as you indulge yourself in your habit of basing your arguments upon cherry-picking, and quote-mining, and research-by-title, and special pleading, I will point it out.
You are well acquainted with those terms, having availed yourself of them countless times.
An assay of the Verónica grande only works when you do not get caught in the attempt at misdirection. I wonder why you did not address the fact that you are employing a circular argument, built upon the shifting sands of special pleading, at all.
You reject wholesale the validity of all first-person accounts. How you are able to do that is a mystery.
How you are able to make a claim this dishonest is the real mystery. An artist's superstition that "divine inspiration" was a facet of her creative process does, in fact, indicate that the artist believes in "divine inspiration". What it does not (I repeat not) indicate is that there is, in fact, such a thing as "divine inspiration".
No matter how often you offer up pale-pink straw-stuffed sprats.
You know virtually nothing about LDS doctrine; it holds that there is God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.
What of the theology of Lorenzo Snow?
https://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController.jsp?leader=5&topic=quotes
http://www.mrm.org/lorenzo-snow-couplet
Has that been rejected by "divine revelation", or was it simply wrong in the first place?
Does not LDS theology hold that humans can, themselves, become 'gods'?
http://www.mrm.org/god-of-mormonism
More dishonesty, eh? Surprised I am not. Yes, "some" people may wrongly claim "divine inspiration," but "some" is not the same (ahem) as all.
(emphasis added)
Why do you continue to redact what I have written, then bristle when I point out that such a low tactic is, in fact, dishonest? Why do you deign to stoop so low?
It is, in fact, dishonest of you, even here as you do it again.
The highlighted word is your own, unique contribution; it can neither be found in my words, nor honestly said to be a colorable implication of my words.
Still another error in inductive reasoning.
Then why do you keep doing it? Once again, you mistake the hypothetical, in order (apparently) to avoid addressing the actual issue.
You did not, in fact, answer my question. Again.
Your proclivity for conjecturing appears to know no bounds. I find that strange, inasmuch as you are "big" on evidence.
Are you denying that you did, in fact, make a claim about the operation of "divine inspiration", a claim for which you have provided no support?
I wonder what you think "conjecture" means.