-
Is it me or is there a pattern to the recently announced wrongful convictions being posted here?
-
Yes, they're all wrongful convictions. Some of which have just been recently revealed in the media and in the courts and especially here in this thread, which is mostly (over 90% of it anyway) about the wrongful conviction of Raffaele and Amanda and thus related, in my opinion, especially as to how and/ or why they relate.
Another interesting aspect of many of these wrongful convictions is that many of them involve police incompetence, laziness and false confessions, and also (interestingly enough) a zealous prosecutor who still believes they are guilty despite the overwhelming probability that they are not. Some of these problems can be directly linked to LE budgets and some can be related to personal, psychological, and/ or perception problems of the LE individual which is then exasperated by group think.
Many of them are here in the US, which goes to prove that Italy is not alone in convicting the wrong person or persons.
Also as you noted, many of them (not all of them) seem to be racially motivated. The US definitely seems to use race as a way to identify perpetrators, as seen in the disproportionate percentage (as compared to the actual percentage of the population) of the prison population being persons of African-American descent.
It's interesting to note, that the wrongful convictions you replied to were a result of two false confessions (which contradicted each other) and that they were also video taped and they were still convicted.
I have some theories (hypothesis) about that, and one of them is that even though juries here in the US are suppose to consider defendants innocent until they are proven guilty, race and the belief that authority is always right play more into these wrongful convictions than most people in our legal system are willing to admit. Also, I believe that many in LE know (and this is a conspiracy theory of sorts) if they can get a confession (false or otherwise) that is almost as good as a slam-dunk conviction in the legal world, and they are not shy about taking advantage of this for personal gain or other reasons.
I am currently working on many blog articles on my website that are concerned with missing persons and serial killers (amongst many other subjects not related to either) and one of my theories (hypothesis) is that some wrongful convictions are really serial murders disguised as relationship murders or just plainly, that they got the wrong guy/ gal, and as a result, the serial killer (or otherwise) got away with it and maybe is still out there killing.
Here in this country, especially since different police jurisdictions don't usually share information, serial killers can literally get away with murder because of the aforementioned reason and also because the police are adamantly opposed to calling a homicide serial killer related, unless it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that two or more homicides are related. The pressures associated with (and as a result of) admitting a serial killer is at large is enormous and thus they try to avoid this at all cost.
Homicide statistics here in the US seem to confirm the belief that most homicide victims know (or knew) their killers, but I believe that this is a self fulfilling prophecy, a kind of confirmation bias if you will, and as a result these statistics are used as a way to back up the belief that serial killers are rare and thus rarely considering them suspects is justified.
It's interesting to note also that in relation to the above mentioned homicide statistics (at least according to
"Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters" by Peter Vronsky) stranger on stranger (or motiveless) homicides are on the rise. It's hard to prove statistically how many homicides are serial killer related, but I believe it's more than it is currently believed to be, but that is just my opinion. Add to all this, the number of people (especially children) who go missing every year and are never found and the number of unidentified bodies that are found (especially skeletal remains where the hyoid bone is never found, which is important in proving whether someone was murdered or not by strangulation) in the US every year, the numbers maybe even higher than I think.
What am I doing about these wrongful convictions (and about serial killer murders in general) besides coming here and expressing my opinions about this specific wrongful conviction and other serial killer related homicides?
I have done much research in psychology, forensics and LE related investigation techniques concerning missing persons and homicides, compiling databases, writing blog articles and running yahoo groups, facebook pages, and twitter accounts related to same and other subjects to which I am interested. In short, I'm trying my best to make others aware of what I perceive to be problems in all these areas. Maybe it's a waste of time, but I think it's better than doing nothing at all.
As a result, and in conclusion, I think we should all be concerned with wrongful convictions because you or a friend or simply someone you love maybe next to be enmeshed in it's clutches or just be a victim of some serial killer or go missing as a result, or for other reasons unknown to me at the moment.
It's better than just believing LE knows what they are doing all the time. Believe me, sometimes they don't, but it's not always their fault, but sometimes it is. All of us should be vigilant (especially when it comes to our children who depend on us to keep them safe) and this thread is just one of the many ways I am trying to do this,
d
-
ETA: And, before anyone misinterprets all of this as my saying Rudy is a serial killer (personally, I believe if he is the murderer, it was accidental and not planned) or that a serial killer is responsible for Meredith's murder. That is not what I am saying. I am merely interested (amongst other things) in the methods (and techniques) that LE uses to investigate murders (and missing persons) and how sometimes these same methods end up convicting the wrong person and/ or, in my opinion, also allow a serial killer to keep killing.
-