tusenfem
Illuminator
- Joined
- May 27, 2008
- Messages
- 3,306
So, today I am on my way to the 6th Alfven Conference in London.
There I will present (preliminary) results of something that I think cannot happen in EC.
Vega1 and Giotto flew by Comet 1P/Halley, only 8 days apart, and almost along the same path. Comparing the magnetic field data for mirror mode waves (could not find a wiki page, but for an explanation see e.g. the paper by my student: Mirror mode structures near Venus and Comet P/Halley (Ann. Geophys., open access).
I found that there is a strong difference between the flybys, and the only thing that is significant in difference between the two flybys is that the water outgassing dropped by a factor 3 between the two.
Now, nothing really changed in the solar wind, so how does EC explain the sudden decrease in outgassing, observed from the ground and evident in the magnetic data through a decrease of mirror mode structures, as less new water ions are picked up?
There I will present (preliminary) results of something that I think cannot happen in EC.
Vega1 and Giotto flew by Comet 1P/Halley, only 8 days apart, and almost along the same path. Comparing the magnetic field data for mirror mode waves (could not find a wiki page, but for an explanation see e.g. the paper by my student: Mirror mode structures near Venus and Comet P/Halley (Ann. Geophys., open access).
I found that there is a strong difference between the flybys, and the only thing that is significant in difference between the two flybys is that the water outgassing dropped by a factor 3 between the two.
Now, nothing really changed in the solar wind, so how does EC explain the sudden decrease in outgassing, observed from the ground and evident in the magnetic data through a decrease of mirror mode structures, as less new water ions are picked up?
!