RC Ben Das Zig and the rest ... this is still the best explanation around and the latest data and facts support it ... more will come ... deal with it and stop looking for debating points.
But whenever I try to come up with numbers for your "best explanation," they make no sense. I'm willing to allowing the possibility that I'm making mistakes, or that I'm simply misunderstanding EU, but no help seems to be forthcoming from the EU side.
I have no doubt that if I posted a conventional physics issue, like "when I do the math, it seems that any rocky planetoid over 1 km in diameter should be spherical, but Ida irregular and it's much larger,*" the various techies here would happily jump in, look at my assumptions, help me understand the calculations, etc. And when we got done, my calculations would match observations. It's happened before, it'll happen again.
But when it comes to EU, if my numbers don't work, I'm told "don't worry about the numbers."
So if you were me, what would
you think? Conventional astrophysics, where I can do my own calculations that match observations and people can help me reconcile any discrepancies, or EU, where my calculations are wildly inconsistent with observations and such discrepancies are handwaved away?
*I've never tried to calculate how large an irregular rocky body can be, so that's not a real question and I'm not looking for help with it.