Before I go any further... I have to say... wow. I always find it so amazing how people criticizing the conservatives seem to take such a rather dismissive attitude, and then when challenged, their arguments are totally devoid of content.
Early on I was asked why I'd consider voting conservative. After a post containing multiple arguments, what do I get? A non-sequitur (re:Walkerton). When I debunk that, what do I get in return? A post full of straw men. It almost seems like reading posts from some teenager quoting some socialist pamphlet, and who now considers themselves a political expert.
Perhaps there may be valid reasons to vote NDP/Liberal/Green/etc., but you'd never realize that from reading your posts.
Since we are playing "let's pretend".
Let's pretend that the measure of success of a government is purely economic.
Why would we pretend that?
I never claimed that the economy is the only thing of interest.
In fact if you go back and look at my earlier posts (where you asked why I'd support the conservatives), I mentioned education and energy policy as 2 of the reasons.
Of course, the economy
is important... but keep a few things in mind:
- Yes there are other issues: helping the poor, health care, education, national defense (if you're talking federally). But those programs are not run for free.... If you destroy your economy, you'll have a hard time paying for those social programs
- Since all you seem to be doing is bashing conservatives, I'm assuming you think the left wing parties would automatically be better at handling all those non-economic issues. But then, you'd probably be wrong. Just throwing money at problems does not always make them go away.
Let's pretend that Ontario is in complete control of its economy.
Again, why would we do that?
I never claimed that
any province, city, country, or continent is in "complete control". However, a province, city, or country
can influence things... They can take a bad situation worse (e.g. a province under the influence of a global recession might see financial hardships deepened), or they can improve stability to even out economic swings.
Let's pretend that laissez faire capitalism is by far the best and fairest system in the Whole Wide World.
Wait a second... does that mean you're totally against all capitalism? Heck, not even the NDP would consider going that far.
The fact is,
all the major political parties in Canada and Ontario believe in a mix of private and public systems. Is your view of politics so warped and one-sided that anyone who considers spending even a relatively small cut to the government is automatically seen as desiring the return of the robber barons and sweat shops?
And then we can get rid of the useless unions and roll back all social progress to the 19th century
Straw man.
Again, why must you assume that anyone who thinks "You know, public servants shouldn't be getting paid thousands more than private sector people doing the same job" is automatically wanting to roll back progress to the 19th century?
It wasn't the plan of the Hudak conservatives to return Ontario to the 19th century. Heck, from what I've seen they weren't even planning on returning Ontario to the time of Harris. (I remember reading that, had the conservatives got into power and implemented their cuts, you'd still have as many public servants as there were several years into Dalton McGuinty's tenure.)
Not yet, but only thanks to food banks.
What sort of society is it where people cannot afford to feed their children?
Why. It's Heaven on Earth. Thank you Premier Mike.
The Liberals have been in power for over a decade. If the Liberals were
so capable of handling poverty, why have they not done so?
Perhaps the problem is a bit more complex than "Lets hire more government workers".
Oh, and by the way... you seem to have missed my earlier post when I pointed our that the Ontario Liberal party had a
worse record on poverty than Saskatchewan (run by a Conservative) and Newfoundland (also run by a Conservative) at the start of the recession.