• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

XP Newtork Setup Wizard - what settings does it change? Or: Switching to Wireless.

volatile

Scholar and a Gentleman
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
6,729
Is anyone here familiar enough with the bowels of XP to know what settings the Network Setup Wizard changes?

Every time I switch between wired and wireless internet, I have to run Network Setup Wizard to tell my browser which connection to use. Otherwise, in essence, the connection (be it wired or wireless) shows that it is connected, but Firefox (and IE) just return 404s. This is slow and annoying, so I'd rather change the settings manually (or use some software, perhaps). Problem is, I can't seem to find the right settings, and can only ever get the connections working if I run the Wizard.

Any ideas?
 
Try going to Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Lan Settings and add a check mark to "Automatically Detect Settings."
 
Thanks! I'll have to find a Wireless network to test it; I'll let you know how it goes!
 
That didn't work. Any other ideas, anyone? What settings does the Wizard actually alter?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom