• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Wolfowitz: Bush administration was "clueless"

"No one anticipated this insurgency"?!?!?!

No one in the Bush administration. Lots of people in the State Department and the CIA, not to mention anyone with a passing familiarity with the history of Iraq, anticipated the insurgency, but none of them were in Bush's inner circle.
 
No one in the Bush administration. Lots of people in the State Department and the CIA, not to mention anyone with a passing familiarity with the history of Iraq, anticipated the insurgency, but none of them were in Bush's inner circle.

Exactly. If only Dick Cheney had been in Bush's inner circle.
 
Former Secretary of Defense, Uppie. ;)

As for Wolfowitz, this guy has a lot of damned gall to open his yap. He spent considerable of his time and intellect pre 2003 selling the Iraq war as a step toward transforming the Middle East.

He has no room to talk when it comes to clueless.

One of the dumber smart guys around.

When your right, your right. He was in good company for dumb smart guys: Bremer, Feith, Cheney et al.

In addition to the guys that should shut their yap are also a gaggle of "pundits" like Kristol who has been wrong on just about every word about Iraq he has let issue from his maw since 2003. And yet, for some baffling reason people still let him print articles about something he clearly has no clue about. I am particularly fond of this:

"Very few wars in American history were prepared better or more thoroughly than this one by this president." And he maintained that the war would be a bargain at $100 to $200 billion. The running tab is now nearing half a trillion dollars. (as of 1/1/2007, its now well over $500B and climbing)" http://www.thenation.com/blogs/capitalgames?bid=3&pid=153112

I love how these guys are now all saying how botched a job this truly was, long after they could have done something to fix the mess. But, none of them will ever suffer any real consequences. They will all continue to get cushy jobs as consultants to the government and continue to be sought for their advice and "expertise".
 
Former Secretary of Defense, Uppie. ;)

As for Wolfowitz, this guy has a lot of damned gall to open his yap. He spent considerable of his time and intellect pre 2003 selling the Iraq war as a step toward transforming the Middle East.

He has no room to talk when it comes to clueless.

Wolfowitz was the one who said it would be "hard to imagine" needing a larger force for the occupation than for the invasion.

Obviously, he never played Risk.
 
I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I’m just saying that if we had elected Colonel Sanders president and the price of chicken had tripled, I’d be a little suspicious.
-Bill Maher

:D
I'm laughing with the President, not at him.
How did that happen?
 
Speaking of being clueless...

On March 27, 2003, Wolfowitz told a Congressional panel that oil revenue earned by Iraq alone would pay for Iraq's reconstruction after the Iraq war; he testified: "The oil revenues of that country could bring between $50 and $100 billion over the course of the next two or three years. Now, there are a lot of claims on that money, but … We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon.”

Or is that just plain good ole fashion dishonesty?
 
Speaking of being clueless...

On March 27, 2003, Wolfowitz told a Congressional panel that oil revenue earned by Iraq alone would pay for Iraq's reconstruction after the Iraq war; he testified: "The oil revenues of that country could bring between $50 and $100 billion over the course of the next two or three years. Now, there are a lot of claims on that money, but … We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon.”

Or is that just plain good ole fashion dishonesty?

Now that is clueless. The oil now is worth a lot more than 50 and 100 billion a year.
 
Boy, the NY Sun sure does protect its copyright. The original article Tricky's link refers to is not to be found including any Google cache. The link is just dead.

I did find another commentary on the article, Dan Senor Demolishes (Gently) Feith and Wolfowitz, but I had wanted to read the article both these commentaries are referring to.

However, I found one better, here are the transcripts from the conference.

Here's the actual quote in context, not that the context changes anything.
MR. WEINSTEIN: I think I need to repeat the question. The question was – Professor Morris at Johns Hopkins University he had four questions for the panelists if there were any things they wish to reconsider in the war strategy with regard to troop levels, the looting that occurred, the decision to dissolve the Iraqi Army, and the inability to fight the insurgency. And let me begin by returning to our author first, and remind everyone that we’re running low on time.

MR. WOLFOWITZ: It’s a huge question. It’s a very good question and requires another forum to really try to answer it. I guess I’d make a couple of observations. There were two issues about enough troops. One was enough troops for the major combat, and a lot of people said we didn’t have it, and obviously we did. And there was a very difficult balance that had to be struck between surprise, which meant a smaller force, and enough troops, or a lot of troops, which meant a much slower pace, and with the potential of many disastrous consequences. And I don’t know whether things would happened or not, things like the destruction of the oil field, but also things that probably wouldn’t have happened but we feared like the use of chemical weapons.
The other enough-troops issue was enough troops for the afterwards, and I think on that point, yes, we were clueless on counterinsurgency. I think I said in my comments quoting Doug’s book, no one anticipated this insurgency. A lot of people were very slow to recognize it once it had started. And I do think that a real failure – and you can assign responsibility all over the place – was not having enough reliable Iraqi troops early enough and fast enough, because I think a sensible counterinsurgency strategy wouldn’t have been to flood the country with 300,000 Americans, but rather to build up the Iraqis forces to be able to protect the population much more quicker.
Sounds like he's just excusing everyone's incompetence to me.



There is also a link to the CSPAN coverage of the event:
http://www.hudson.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hudson_upcoming_events&id=538
 
I wonder what Paul would say about Bill Clinton, Wesley Clark, Slobodan Milošević and Kosovo?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom