• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why We Should All Learn to Appreciate Uri Geller

Wowbagger

The Infinitely Prolonged
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
15,667
Location
Westchester County, NY (when not in space)
This is the third post I am making, in my series of paranormal examinations, though relevance to that might not be clear until the very end. The book I am currently reading says very little about Uri Geller, and what it does say is mostly negative, which is surprising for a pro-paranormal book. I think that might be a tad unfair, and I shall build a case that even all of us skeptics should learn to appreciate Uri Geller, for once!

First of all, I know there are a lot of scumbags out there: Monsters who will rip you off, and only damage your psyche in return. But, Geller is not quite as bad as that! I do not think he ever intends to cause harm to everyone. He is only out there having a good time and acting cool and such. He may have destroyed the careers of a few scientists, here and there, but only those gullible enough to take him seriously.

Some of you might be aware of Geller's late 2007 "confession", where he said he will no longer claim he has supernatural powers. The reality of the situation is that he already made a similar confession, that of doing stage tricks, in his own autobiography, written in 1975!

So, what is the big deal?! So what if he wants to call himself a "mystifier"? So what if he wants to offer an air of legitimacy to folks like Jim Callahan? That's his business! It's all a joke! And, I feel sorry for those who just don't get it.

I understand Geller and Randi have had a long history snarling at each other. But, the fact remains that there would be no JREF without Uri Geller! When Uri felt he was cruelly defamed, and started tossing out his lawsuits, it was not CSICOP (which Randi was a member of, at the time) who took him on. No, Randi was left fending for himself, going through all that agony, to fight back. And now, it seems both Geller's and Randi's franchises still exist, and in some respects, are stronger than ever! Uri is now even willing to laugh off the "YouTube exposures", because they only gave him more publicity!

If you still don't think that's enough, I encourage you to also consider his personality, which I find to be very distinctive, enthusiastic, and earnestly convincing to those willing to follow him. In fact, most of his television programs have been a hit, all over the world, which is no small feat! How could so many folks, who tune in to watch him, be wrong?!

You might try to complain that he only does the same three tricks, over and over again, but what else would you expect, from someone who does not need to innovate his craft any further?! I don't see anyone scalding Banachek for doing the same tricks, over and over! And, I like how he always takes care to bend only the cheapest, flimsiest of spoons, so as not to waste the stronger, more expensive and elegant ones, on his most famous of routines.

And, finally, I argue that it might still be possible that he is not even doing tricks at all! Maybe Uri Geller really can tap into some source of paranormal powers! The book I am reading seems to think it is significant that students scored a full 8.8% better than chance, at predicting numbers and colors of ping-pong balls they would blindly pull from a bag, and that remote viewers tend to get some details correct, when comparing their visions to actual targets. Perhaps there are lots of other paranormal claims are that are just as reliable! Not everything Geller does can be replicated by your average birthday party magician, and certainly not all of his "tricks" can be explained by conventional, pharmacological science, either!

Paranormal research has been conducted for centuries. And, even as we enter the second quarter of 2009, it is clear that results of further research will continue piling up, and up, and up! I think it is time for all of us to grow up, and end this childish prank of pseudo-skepticism we now see on this Forum, this very day!

I will end with a quote I find frighteningly... relevant:

"If Uri is a magician, then he is the best we have ever seen, and the most famous since Houdini.
On the other hand if he is a psychic then he is the only man who can do what he does. Magician or Psychic, agree or disagree with him, either way we have to respect him for what he has done. He is truly a phenomenon."
- David Berglas​
 
This is the third post I am making, in my series of paranormal examinations, though relevance to that might not be clear until the very end.

Is the point that it's possible to successfully argue any side of anything if you have the rhetorical chops?
 
I personally find Uri Geller quite entertaining. Same with watching a good cold reader.

I don't believe any of it is paranormal for a second, but what the charlatans do is still an art and quite difficult to perfect to a high standard (in my opinion).

I can understand promoting skepticism and I can understand disliking TV mediums who take advantage of vulnerable mourners, but it doesn't mean that the skill and art are not impressive.

I certainly don't like street hustlers, but I still love watching a good three-card monte routine.

I'm probably in the minority though.
 
I don't disagree (at least not 100%) on your views of Geller. He's not a Sylvia Browne.

The book I am reading seems to think it is significant that students scored a full 8.8% better than chance

That seems like it might qualify for the MDC. Of course we can't tell since it's a claim in a book you're reading. And of course there's no reason to think that the claimants have any better controls than the ones who certified Geller as the real thing many years ago.

Perhaps there are lots of other paranormal claims are that are just as reliable!

Absolutely I have no doubt that many other claims are just as reliable.

Paranormal research has been conducted for centuries. And, even as we enter the second quarter of 2009, it is clear that results of further research will continue piling up

You know what else piles up if you don't clean it?
 
Not everything Geller does can be replicated by your average birthday party magician, and certainly not all of his "tricks" can be explained by conventional, pharmacological science, either!

Can you give precise examples of these things? All of the things I have seen him do fall into the category of above average but not extraordinary sleight of hand. This JREF thread includes some examples of his being caught cheating.
 
Last edited:
The quote at the end of the post is difficult to parse, since professional magicians almost immediately saw what Geller was doing and were able to duplicate his tricks without problem.
Further, I well recall Geller adding to his "story" with the marvelous (and I mean that in the sense of "marvels" rather than being amazing) book that came out describing his childhood contacts with UFOs and other nonsense.
Had the man enjoyed his brief stint of fame and then 'fessed up, I don't think anyone would have had any problems.
He could have gone on to exercise his creativity as have other successful illusionists.

But he continued to vocally and publicly carry on with the super-powers nonsense for years.
 
I don't disagree (at least not 100%) on your views of Geller. He's not a Sylvia Browne.
True. His nails are better kept.

That seems like it might qualify for the MDC.
Absolutely! We should get the folks who conducted that test, to replicate their results, for the MDC. If they can win it, it would legitimize the previous results a little more!

Absolutely I have no doubt that many other claims are just as reliable.
I think we're onto something!

Can you give precise examples of these things?
I think what I said, there, was true for pretty much all of his tricks.

The quote at the end of the post is difficult to parse, since professional magicians almost immediately saw what Geller was doing and were able to duplicate his tricks without problem.
It is possible the ones who duplicated his tricks, most effectively, were also able to tap into the same source of mysterious paranormal powers, that Geller could equally-possibly have used. Though, they will not confess to that, because such power, if it exists, would be very powerful, and prone to abuse.

But he continued to vocally and publicly carry on with the super-powers nonsense for years.
He's got chutzpah, no doubt.

I personally find Uri Geller quite entertaining. Same with watching a good cold reader.
Or an exciting car wreck.

I can understand promoting skepticism and I can understand disliking TV mediums who take advantage of vulnerable mourners, but it doesn't mean that the skill and art are not impressive.
Especially to those who really follow them.

I'm probably in the minority though.
I'm not in that minority.

There are a LOT of people, out there, who find those things to be evocative!
 
Personally, I think Uri Geller's a big distraction.

The book I am reading seems to think it is significant that students scored a full 8.8% better than chance, at predicting numbers and colors of ping-pong balls they would blindly pull from a bag

What book is that? The experiment was one by Ertel, which I thought had been largely forgotten in parapsychological circles. I'd be interested to know who picked up on it. (For the record - the experiment only got above chance results when the student did it at home alone. Go figure.)
 
It is possible the ones who duplicated his tricks, most effectively, were also able to tap into the same source of mysterious paranormal powers, that Geller could equally-possibly have used. Though, they will not confess to that, because such power, if it exists, would be very powerful, and prone to abuse.

Seriously? You believe Randi(and others) has paranormal powers, but are hiding them to the world beacause they are very powerful, and prone to abuse? I like Occams razor the best, but tecnically, all is possible.
 
Absolutely I have no doubt that many other claims are just as reliable.

I think we're onto something!


Yes. I think we can safely say that unsupported claims and bad testing can produce results in one case that are just as unreliable as the bad results produced in many other cases.

It is possible the ones who duplicated his tricks, most effectively, were also able to tap into the same source of mysterious paranormal powers, that Geller could equally-possibly have used. Though, they will not confess to that, because such power, if it exists, would be very powerful, and prone to abuse.


It might be possible. It's also possible that Geller is just a hologram and can create any illusion because the super computer that controls his image can create video effects that are indistinguishable from reality. Really, that's also possible isn't it? Or maybe Geller is really the messiah and we're in the middle of his second coming but he's not going to admit it until the time is right. That's also possible, right?

Of course it's many orders of magnitude more likely that Geller is using the same tricks as those who duplicate his results and admit (and even explain) their trickery. That possibility is much more likely to explain many things- such as the fact that the JREF still possesses the million dollars. Or the fact that Geller has always had trouble doing anything paranormal when controls are in place to keep him from cheating.
 
What book is that? The experiment was one by Ertel, which I thought had been largely forgotten in parapsychological circles. I'd be interested to know who picked up on it. (For the record - the experiment only got above chance results when the student did it at home alone. Go figure.)
I mention the book in these two threads:

Was National Geographic Unfair to Telepathy? http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138672

AND

Psi Experimental Signatures: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138164

It might be possible. It's also possible that Geller is just a hologram and can create any illusion because the super computer that controls his image can create video effects that are indistinguishable from reality. Really, that's also possible isn't it? Or maybe Geller is really the messiah and we're in the middle of his second coming but he's not going to admit it until the time is right. That's also possible, right?
Yes.

Seriously? You believe Randi(and others) has paranormal powers, but are hiding them to the world beacause they are very powerful, and prone to abuse? I like Occams razor the best, but tecnically, all is possible.
The problem with Occam's Razor is that it cuts away possibilities. If more skeptics were more open-minded, maybe their over-trained brains would fall out. And then, the true powers of psi would be unleashed, to the detriment of you otherwise decent folks.
 
Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the date when you're retired. I fall for something every year.
 
Uri Geller is someone to be mocked -- he is someone to be used as a cautionary tale that you lost your way. This is a shameful post. You've posted here a long time -- didn't you learn anything?


First of all, I know there are a lot of scumbags out there: Monsters who will rip you off, and only damage your psyche in return. But, Geller is not quite as bad as that! I do not think he ever intends to cause harm to everyone. He is only out there having a good time and acting cool and such. He may have destroyed the careers of a few scientists, here and there, but only those gullible enough to take him seriously.

If you did a bit more research you would find he did readings and sold woo objects like crystals. Geller stole money from naive people. You can sugarcoat it, but don't do it on this website.
Some of you might be aware of Geller's late 2007 "confession", where he said he will no longer claim he has supernatural powers. The reality of the situation is that he already made a similar confession, that of doing stage tricks, in his own autobiography, written in 1975!
He only tricked people that did research?! You are going to a bad place.
So, what is the big deal?! So what if he wants to call himself a "mystifier"? So what if he wants to offer an air of legitimacy to folks like Jim Callahan? That's his business! It's all a joke! And, I feel sorry for those who just don't get it.
I get it and I think it is wrong.
I understand Geller and Randi have had a long history snarling at each other. But, the fact remains that there would be no JREF without Uri Geller!
Bulloney!
When Uri felt he was cruelly defamed, and started tossing out his lawsuits, it was not CSICOP (which Randi was a member of, at the time) who took him on. No, Randi was left fending for himself, going through all that agony, to fight back. And now, it seems both Geller's and Randi's franchises still exist, and in some respects, are stronger than ever! Uri is now even willing to laugh off the "YouTube exposures", because they only gave him more publicity!
He may laugh it off but he has harmed people. You both can laugh that off.
If you still don't think that's enough, I encourage you to also consider his personality, which I find to be very distinctive, enthusiastic, and earnestly convincing to those willing to follow him. In fact, most of his television programs have been a hit, all over the world, which is no small feat! How could so many folks, who tune in to watch him, be wrong?!
Seperate issues, but I think he couldn't have a prime time show if his life depended it on it today and even if he did popular doesn't equal good.
You might try to complain that he only does the same three tricks, over and over again, but what else would you expect, from someone who does not need to innovate his craft any further?! I don't see anyone scalding Banachek for doing the same tricks, over and over! And, I like how he always takes care to bend only the cheapest, flimsiest of spoons, so as not to waste the stronger, more expensive and elegant ones, on his most famous of routines.
I copied Geller's routine while in college and had success doing it. I always felt bad that I left of legacy of bulloney behind me. I was good at bending keys and more than a few people believed group thought could bend metal. I am opposed to the performer I was. I'll perform today but I will end the performance by saying it was all trickery.
And, finally, I argue that it might still be possible that he is not even doing tricks at all! Maybe Uri Geller really can tap into some source of paranormal powers! The book I am reading seems to think it is significant that students scored a full 8.8% better than chance, at predicting numbers and colors of ping-pong balls they would blindly pull from a bag, and that remote viewers tend to get some details correct, when comparing their visions to actual targets. Perhaps there are lots of other paranormal claims are that are just as reliable! Not everything Geller does can be replicated by your average birthday party magician, and certainly not all of his "tricks" can be explained by conventional, pharmacological science, either!
Yes, you argue woo is possible when explaining someone whose methods were exposed by the guy who runs this site.

I have nothing more to say to you. I have no idea why you have posted on this site as long as you have when you don't get what this site is about.
 
I have nothing more to say to you. I have no idea why you have posted on this site as long as you have when you don't get what this site is about.

Someone didn't check the date today, ;)

Edit: or...maybe you're in on it!!!
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom