a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
When I first heard of the internet and public email, many moons ago, (before the WWW was even invented), I thought to myself "This can't last". I worked in a mainframe shop as a systems programmer, where security and maintenance and reliability were paramount.
Amazingly enough, the internet worked, and the WWW appeared on it, and I've been using it ever since.
However, the quality of the product seems to be on the inevitable slide to oblivion that I forsaw many years ago. Email now contains more spam than content. The efforts to weed out spam also, inevitably, affect the content.
Viruses run rampant. It's easy to blame Windows, but that's only an issue because Windows is the most popular platform, and hence the target. If anything else was to take Windows place, it would be the target. As it is, the OS is becoming irrelevant anyway, since a lot of fraud operates purely at the browser level.
The internet is open to exploits, attacks, fraud, crime, stupidity, ignorance, vanity, sex, the usual human foibles.
And so it must, eventually, become irrelevant. What comes after, who knows, but the internet must die.
Amazingly enough, the internet worked, and the WWW appeared on it, and I've been using it ever since.
However, the quality of the product seems to be on the inevitable slide to oblivion that I forsaw many years ago. Email now contains more spam than content. The efforts to weed out spam also, inevitably, affect the content.
Viruses run rampant. It's easy to blame Windows, but that's only an issue because Windows is the most popular platform, and hence the target. If anything else was to take Windows place, it would be the target. As it is, the OS is becoming irrelevant anyway, since a lot of fraud operates purely at the browser level.
The internet is open to exploits, attacks, fraud, crime, stupidity, ignorance, vanity, sex, the usual human foibles.
And so it must, eventually, become irrelevant. What comes after, who knows, but the internet must die.