articulett
Banned
- Joined
- Jan 18, 2005
- Messages
- 15,404
Ooh, colored font-- Now I know who the real truth teller is.
Don't confuse the evolutionary "gift" of moral sentiments/tendencies/feelings with morality itself, which is more complicated. The should or ought derive from what we do with those sentiments. Without those sentiments handed to us from evolution (or from a creator if you are so inclined) morality would not be possible, even with a set of rules. Morality does not consist in rule-following. Rule-following is rule-following. Morality concerns a deeper sense of what actions one should take, and this only comes from valuation.
I wouldn't be so quick to accuse everyone here of committing the naturalistic fallacy.
Of course morals exist, arthwo. The question is their etiology. Did they evolve or did some god magically create them? The evidence is they evolved.
As a product of evolution are morals exact or absolute? Evolution doesn't typically give those kind of results.
Ahhhh.... but, pray tell, of what, zigzactly, precisely, and other, similarly comma delineated and tangential bits, have I convinced you?
GP: Maybe you are just crazy.
M2: Indeed! But do not reject these teaching as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true.
http://www.ology.org/principia/body.html
Do chimps start charities designed to help human beings?
Human morality goes way beyond mere survival, reproduction, and the smooth running of society.
PJ posts great pith on occasion.Welcome, new member, Hughnon-- plumjam is a forum troll, but we like to keep him around. He can be very entertaining so long as you keep your expectations for his understanding anything you say very, very low. Rock on.
I would hope by the context of that comment I mean morals are a function of the human brain which result in an impact on behavior. They exist in the same way sadness or love exist.It depends what you mean by "exist". If morals are evolved behaviour patterns, then it makes no sense to talk about a moral standard. All our behaviour comes from our evolutionary background. Our tendency to exterminate vast numbers of people just as much as rescuing orphans from a burning building.
I wouldn't be so quick to accuse me of accusing everyone here, because I didn't.
The question of valuation assumes either inherent value or assigned value. If value is something we assign, then it is just a matter of choice. If it's inherent, then where does it come from.
However, just because morals are something we choose, based on evolution and reason, doesn't mean that some work better than others - given a preferred outcome, of course. But the desired outcome is just a matter of choice - which is what humanism rests on.
It depends what you mean by "exist". If morals are evolved behaviour patterns, then it makes no sense to talk about a moral standard. All our behaviour comes from our evolutionary background. Our tendency to exterminate vast numbers of people just as much as rescuing orphans from a burning building.
I actually refuse any moral codex which cannot constitute a democratic state that respects and protects human rights.Where We Get Our Morals From
That sounds like wishful thinking..I actually refuse any moral codex which cannot constitute a democratic state that respects and protects human rights.
.....
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Would you explain, please?That sounds like wishful thinking..
Do you have any examples ?

Sure. Kantian ethics and the state of Germany, for instance.Do you have any examples of:
" ... a moral codex which constitutes a democratic state that respects and protects human rights.... "
Sure. Kantian ethics and the state of Germany, for instance.
This refers to the concept of human dignity as the first and foremost object of legal protection (like freedom of speech in the US constitution). The important "object formula", no law may degrade any human to a mere object of a state act, is taken almost literally from Kant and has got a direct impact on all material law in Germany.
No.1) You claim there is a German law prohibiting the state from making the decision to shoot down a hijacked plane, as long as there is at least a single innocent passenger aboard, ..snap..
Sure. Kantian ethics and the state of Germany, for instance
God has not accepted anything, God created everything.. including moral truth.
Did you, perhaps, leave out a "not" in that sentence "doesn't mean that some work better than others"?