• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What I hate about using MS software in a VM

I'm amused when software on my HP9090 announces that updates are available.

That machine is offline.

In other words, the alert is just a preprogrammed response to the system clock.
It happens with all manufacturers' software, but HP are worse than most.
 
You can turn off automatic updates; indeed it's a good idea to do so if you're running a production machine which you do not want to do a unattended reboot after a critical update.

But it's hardly surprising that you will have so many updates if the machine is used only periodically.
 
But it's hardly surprising that you will have so many updates if the machine is used only periodically.

Indeed. My Macbook requires an update with a reboot if I use it very little within a two-week period. It's not even like this sort of thing is exclusive to Windows machines.
 
Indeed. My Macbook requires an update with a reboot if I use it very little within a two-week period. It's not even like this sort of thing is exclusive to Windows machines.

Linux's kernel patches also do this roughly once every couple of weeks.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom