• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Weird physics claims in solar system -- any truth?


Seriously? ETA: I might have guessed "Judder".
I will have to mull that over for awhile to wrap my brain around the physical significance of it.

I would guess one could continue indefinitely in this way, but I wonder if any "physical meaning" (hoping I don't sound TOO much like a crank:)) could be assigned much further down the series. I mean, I can understand "jerk" and lower derivatives, and I know that one could continue differentiating forever, I just wonder at what point it would cease to have meaning to a human (or instrument) riding a rollercoaster?

BTW, what name(s) might one give for the first, and succeeding integrals of "position"?

[Don't worry, I sometimes ask questions that have no meaningful answers -- like "what would the Big Bang look like from the point-of-view of an outside observer?" and such.:D]

Cheers,

Dave
 
Last edited:
Tiny disagreements with expected results are very, very, very often the result of tiny systematic errors in the means of mensuration.

And that's why women need to be kept out of science!

Oh, wait, mensuration. Never mind.:)
 
BTW, what name(s) might one give for the first, and succeeding integrals of "position"?

The first integral (dt) of position isn't too hard to visualize in 1-D; it's the surface area of the object's world-sheet. (i.e. draw the object's trajectory x vs. time; the area between this trajectory and any x=constant line is a world-sheet.) The units are meter-seconds.

The second integral is beyond me, though. Meter-seconds^2 sounds wrong. :)
 
Seriously? ETA: I might have guessed "Judder".
I will have to mull that over for awhile to wrap my brain around the physical significance of it.

Apparently its also called "snap". I once watched an Open University program on bbc 2 about the physics of rollercoasters. That mentioned jounce (and jerk) a lot. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else though.
 
The first integral (dt) of position isn't too hard to visualize in 1-D; it's the surface area of the object's world-sheet. (i.e. draw the object's trajectory x vs. time; the area between this trajectory and any x=constant line is a world-sheet.) The units are meter-seconds.

The second integral is beyond me, though. Meter-seconds^2 sounds wrong. :)

Thanks. More food for thought.

Apparently its also called "snap". I once watched an Open University program on bbc 2 about the physics of rollercoasters. That mentioned jounce (and jerk) a lot. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else though.

I came up with "judder" because it is a term used about automotive brakes and clutches (and sometimes automatic transmissions) often felt during hard braking on an uneven surface.

Jounce and snap are good words, too.

Thanks,

Dave
 
I came up with "judder" because it is a term used about automotive brakes and clutches (and sometimes automatic transmissions) often felt during hard braking on an uneven surface.

Jounce and snap are good words, too.

Thanks,

Dave

I would say "judder" sounded like some form (???) of measurement of a damped oscillation.
According to Wiki, the 5th and 6th time derivatives of position are sometimes referred to as "crackle" and "pop" respectively. :rolleyes:
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom