I don't judge "any news outlet by the standards of Fox News and Newsmax."
My point is that in addition to the very informative Cuban media, Cubans have had access to other sources of information and news than the country's own media for more at least 10 years – even before the US could no longer block access in Cuba to digitized information:
I don't know exactly who got the 20 used but fully functional laptops that the Danish-Cuban Friendship Association (DCF) had asked for and I got from my high school when they were replaced by new ones, but they tend to go to institutions. When I was in Cuba with DCF in late 2022, we brought (new) laptops donated to Cenesex and CNEURO. We had planned to visit the latter (and I had hoped to meet Mitchell Valdes-Sosa), but a hurricane put a stop to that.
As for my "contention Cuban media is essentially honest," it's based on actually reading Cuban media! For the most part, people in Western countries don't do that and dismiss anything from Cuban media out of hand because they accept whatever Western media tells them. I have referenced Cuban media extensively in the other Cuban thread (for instance about Cuba's participatory democracy, which NOBODY wants to know about!) and occasionally also in the 'syndrome' thread, e.g. posts 2,354, 2,355, 2,359 and 2,360.
Cubans are not the ones who live in an information bubble and their press isn't bought and sold by oligarchs, which seems to be the definiton of freedom of the press in Western countries.
My point is that in addition to the very informative Cuban media, Cubans have had access to other sources of information and news than the country's own media for more at least 10 years – even before the US could no longer block access in Cuba to digitized information:
My impression is that el paquete is mainly used for entirely unpolitical and not very informative entertainment, but I don't know what Cuans are watching in their homes when I'm not there. If they want to read serious articles from PBS, CBC, BBC or Al-Jazeera, they have the option, but I don't think there's a high demand for that.El Paquete: How Cuba's data pirates hand-feed an internet-starved nation (CBC, April 12, 2026)
Cubans call it "El Paquete Semanal," or the weekly package.
It comes in the form of a one-terabyte re-up of newly pirated information each Monday. Think international movies, newspapers, the latest Afro-Cuban hip-hop tracks, Korean and Australian soap operas, mobile apps, Wikipedia pages, PDFs of National Geographic magazine, the entire run of Netflix's House of Cards, even classified ads from Revolico, Cuba's take on Craigslist.
I don't know exactly who got the 20 used but fully functional laptops that the Danish-Cuban Friendship Association (DCF) had asked for and I got from my high school when they were replaced by new ones, but they tend to go to institutions. When I was in Cuba with DCF in late 2022, we brought (new) laptops donated to Cenesex and CNEURO. We had planned to visit the latter (and I had hoped to meet Mitchell Valdes-Sosa), but a hurricane put a stop to that.
As for my "contention Cuban media is essentially honest," it's based on actually reading Cuban media! For the most part, people in Western countries don't do that and dismiss anything from Cuban media out of hand because they accept whatever Western media tells them. I have referenced Cuban media extensively in the other Cuban thread (for instance about Cuba's participatory democracy, which NOBODY wants to know about!) and occasionally also in the 'syndrome' thread, e.g. posts 2,354, 2,355, 2,359 and 2,360.
Cubans are not the ones who live in an information bubble and their press isn't bought and sold by oligarchs, which seems to be the definiton of freedom of the press in Western countries.